don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. I wish Sonic X used those details in Egg Carrier as excuse to use them in the anime.

2. Linkabel

Linkabel

When does this happen? Are you sure you're not misremembering?

He moves as well

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    You were taking my statements as a supposed canon? Of course it doesn't make sense with what it's already stated, but, if we move SCD to a different position, we can move Tails' Adventure too. You know, in that game there's a Sonic powerup that lets Tails spin. It's an 8-bit game, so it would be out of canon anyway; I did what I wanted, no what Sega allows me to. Oh, and if we are nitpicky, there's only one Metal Sonic at any single time, or else it would have never returned after being destroyed in SCD.

Oh, and remember Sonic Forces would take place before Sonic 2: In Sonic Forces, we see Eggman conquer 99% of the world. In Sonic 2, the manual states Robotnik has almost conquered the world, and we can see the results of his failed plan in the form of a torn apart Death Egg. There, Eggman resorts to one of the few Death Egg robots remaining that were not used on the invasion when Sonic tries to destroy the ruins of the space station. We know it doesn't work because S3K happens shortly after, where Eggman ends up using the other Death Egg robots remaining after his again failed attempt of making the station functional again.

Umm... Has Metal Sonic ever been updated in the sense of a "modern" treatment? I know it got extra detail, butt I don't see that as losing his classic look. Is there anything else?

4. Metal Sonic's proportions were altered somewhat near the end of the 2000's to put him in line with the rest of the cast. We actually have a direct comparison too using his Generations render.
    modern_and_classic_metal_sonic_by_darthzookeeper_d7bdtkr-fullview.jpg

5. I never remembered that. I think if it was real, after all this time, the Sonic community at large would be aware of it.

6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I don't remember anything like it either. But weird to me was always the fact, that you unlock playable Metal Sonic in DX, and it's just a modded skin for Sonic, not the model in the tube.

Also the Metal you see in the tube is used in Amy's backstory, referencing Sonic CD.

7. Pengi

Pengi

Mecha Sonic and Metal Sonic are in the entrance to Final Egg, not the Egg Carrier.

This is misleading. Sonic Generations' Metal Sonic had more squat proportions than any previous game.

In Sonic Generations, Classic Sonic's proportions are largely based upon the Sonic 1 manual art, where he was smaller than future games like Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. Sonic Generations altered Metal Sonic's proportions to match the Sonic 1 proportions.

If you were to compare Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic to Metal Sonic, you'd see that the difference isn't so stark.

8. it's true, I missremembered that.

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's absolutely real I swear. I distinctly remember it when playing Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast as a kid.

If this is genuinely something no one else remembers I'm going to have to emulate SA on Dreamcast and confirm I haven't gone mad.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't recall this either but would be immensely interested to see it.

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Metal definitely never breaks out of his tube. I used to spend lots of time as a kid trying to get good camera angles to look at him in Sonic’s Final Egg. It would have been super cool and lead to a lot of fun speculation over the years though, so I wish he did.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I'm going to be honest...I can't really see much between the various Metal Sonic "designs" that can't just be chalked up to advances in graphical fidelity.

As for *why* he didn't change, here's my two cents:

Comparing Sonic's design to Metal's, I think it's a reasonable assumption (if not outright confirmed by one source or another, I wouldn't know) that the philosophy of Metal Sonic's design was to be a refinement of Sonic's natural form into the conventions and visual language of machinery. This is, of course, more apparent in some ways than others. For example, the turbine chassis of Metal's body, complete with the yellow ring around the black area, is clearly analogous to the original Sonic's tan coloured chest patch and and the quills at the top of his back. Even where the overall silhouette deviates, we can extrapolate this philosophy. Rather than 6 spines on the back of his head, Metal has a kind of tricone-esque shape. It's an augmentation of the natural form, a streamlining of Sonic's unruly shapes into something more orderly and aerodynamic.

Now, to loop this back to Sonic Adventure, consider the redesigns for that game. As has been mentioned, only Amy and Eggman received redesigns that radically changed their silhouettes and shape language (the former moreso than the latter). Sonic, Tails and Knuckles just got a bit more length added to their proportions, as far as core shapes go. As such, why would Metal Sonic be any different? Like Sonic, his core shapes have stayed the same and he was already emulating Sonic's visage in an extremely efficient manner, so I don't think there's any room to really add anything.

And I think this also speaks to *why* Metal Sonic has endured over the years and the rationale as to why he was the robot that received a revival. The Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 Mecha Sonics both fall short in their designs under this philosophy in manners that mirror each other. Sonic 2's Mecha Sonic is not only bulky, failing to capture the sleek form of Sonic, it has a grey colouring and blocky shape language that betrays its status as a pale imitation. Meanwhile, Sonic 3's Mecha Sonic is overdesigned as a true recreation of Sonic. It indulges in excesses such as additional armour around the forearms and shins, with areas of lights and colours that confuse the vision of a pure, robotic realisation of Sonic the Hedgehog. And in between these two, Metal Sonic is elegance in simplicity, a perfect balance of form and function. It wasn't the most recent or perhaps even the most well-know knock-off Sonic robot by the time the OVA got to him (I'd posit that those titles belong to the Mecha Sonics of Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 respectively), but I feel his design most adequately speaks to the OVA's interpretation (an interpretation that has endured and been adopted into the core franchise) of a robot that is capable of growth - imbued with some kind of wilful drive that perhaps Eggman didn't create as a matter of engineering precision, but that was given life by Metal Sonic being so purely distilled in its prime directive as Sonic the Hedgehog 2.0 that it gained sentience and became self-aware, its tenacity fuelling comeback after comeback in the hopes that Metal Sonic may finally become the real Sonic.

13. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Maybe, but not necessarily so. Sonic Drift 2 and Knuckles Chaotix both came out just a year before the OVA and featured Metal Sonic, making him technically the most recent one (even if not the most recent one to debut). Triple Trouble even came out the same year as 3K and featured him. While it goes without saying that Sonic 2 and Sonic 3K are more well-known than anything on the Game Gear or 32X, it's not like he was a one-and-done Sonic robot between Sonic CD in 1993 and the OVA in 1996.

If we go on to factor in Sonic the Fighters in 1996 and Sonic R in 1997, as well as his cameo in SA1 in 1998 and his being playable in SA2 in 2001, then he hardly even really "went away" at all between CD and Heroes, such that I'm not sure I'd really describe him as receiving a 'revival' (unless we're counting his appearance in Triple Trouble as the 'revival').

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That’s a fair assessment. Regardless, I think my point still stands now n the context of the choice to go with Metal Sonic for these games rather than either of the Mecha Sonics.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, I definitely agree that he's got the best design of the bunch. It's not a surprise at all that he's the one who they've kept around.

16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Right lol. i'm going to play through the EU version of Sonic Adventure on DC on emulator. This might just be me misremembering shit. i have real problem remembering my childhood, but i could swear it was real.

i will report back. Probably just me misremembering. Lol.

17. I'm uncertain about Metal ever breaking out of his tube, but I want to believe. I do distinctly remember him floating up and down in every version I've played: Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Steam.

18. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Don't forget about the comics, Metal Sonic was prominent in Sonic The Comic and had a whole CD issue in Archie.

I'd say, that because Metal was created in Japan, he's regarded as the important/original/first one. Mecha Sonic from 2 and 3 were just bosses, they don't even have a character renders. Metal Sonic was so important to CD's plot he starred in commercials.

As for game canon, to me it was always very simple (but then came Sonic 4...):
    - Metal is created between Sonic 1 and CD, at the end of CD he stays on Little Planet
    - Sonic 2 takes place
    - Sonic 3 takes place
    - Episode Metal takes place
    - Sonic 4 episode 2 takes place
    - Sonic The Fighters / Sonic R / Sonic Mania / Knuckles Chaotix. The games don't really contradict each other.

Now what I want to know it's what happened to Rocket Metal and what it was supposed to be. Seems like a wacky, yet fun upgrade. It even has some writings on its quill, like "robot/ metal Sonic model no. 2" or something, I don't quite remember.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2022
  19. Mecha Sonic Model no. 29

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Chaotix establishes Metal Sonic Kai is a different body to the Metal Sonic on the Little Planet.

Also, Mecha Sonic Model no. 29. So there's evidence Metal Sonic is part of the Mecha Sonic line.

Edit: also, ninja'd.