don't click here

The Sonic The Hedgehog Classics Thread!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LockOnRommy11, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am out of school for Fall Break starting Wednesday.

The same day Sonic 4 comes out for the 360.

IT MUST BE FATE. :D

Also I will be playing the classics again in order before touching Sonic 4.

You know...for continuity's sake.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Well, I forgot to play yesterday, so I played two games/hacks today:

Amy Rose in Sonic the Hedgehog
    Score: 495850
    Time: 39:15 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: GHZ1 GHZ2 MZ2 SYZ1 SYZ2 LZ2

That damn third chaos emerald screwed me up, hence the longer time.

Knuckles the Hedgehog in Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Score: 279280
    Time: 32:25 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: None

Doing something like this always perks me up for a new Sonic game, whether it plays like these or not. I've got four days left, and I haven't even touched Sonic or Tails. Looks like I'm going to have to rely on more hacks to get done by Wednesday.

3. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Did Sonic 1 yesterday, doing Sonic 2 right now, and I plan on going through Sonic 3 & Knuckles tomorrow. Some rockin' shit. I didn't record my results for Sonic 1, but I'll post how Sonic 2's going at the moment.

I just started OOZ2 (took a break cause I really don't like OOZ much)
    7 Chaos Emeralds (by the 2nd lamppost in CPZ2)
    Score: 346300

Wow, looking at some of these other scores, I'm doing pretty badly apparently.

EDIT: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    [​IMG]
    SON OF A BITCH FROZE RIGHT HERE

Still playing the boss music though, so...that's cool I guess. But fuckity shit regardless.
    Screw it, I'm gonna 4126 this bitch and start at MTZ1. I'll just add the scores together and leave out Time and Ring bonuses and the Boss points for OOZ2 as a 'penalty'.

'Final' Score: 352671

4. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    I'm also doing a quick playthrough of the classics this weekend in preparation for Sonic 4. I did Sonic 1 and 2 today, gonna do 3&K tomorrow. I decided to play these on the 360 instead of the Mega Drive because that's the console I'll be getting Sonic 4 on. This is how I got on today:

Sonic 1
    EMERALDS: 6, got the last one in Labyrinth Zone Act 1.
    LIVES LOST: 1, in bloody Scrap Brain Zone Act 1; I almost always do this, I missed one of those small rotating platforms and fell to my doom.
    TIME: Approximately 50 minutes.
    TOTAL SCORE: 230,470

Sonic 2
    (played as Sonic alone)

EMERALDS: 7, got the last one in Mystic Cave Act 1 (yeah, I know that's quite late in the game; I purposely take my time getting the Emeralds in Sonic 2 because I don't like getting Super Sonic too early on).
    LIVES LOST: 1, stupidly, in Metropolis Zone Act 3. I got a little bit carried away as Super Sonic and was going overly fast and completely missed the platform leading to the boss...
    TIME: Approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes.
    TOTAL SCORE: 387,600

5. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I decided not to go in order and started up Sonic Battle. Something about this game keeps bringing me back to it. Anyway, this is my 6th playthrough of the game ever. I swear I play it once a year. This time I'm going to see if I can unlock all the cards.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Some of the Battles are annoying but I find Battle very enjoyable myself.

7. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I played through Sonic CD a few days ago, and Sonic 3D (MD) later that night.
    I cheaped out and ended up playing the Hacks <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete_(hack)" target="_blank">Sonic 3C</a> and Sonic 1 + 2, the latter of which I ended up getting Sonic 2's emeralds in Sonic 1's levels, and the first 6 in Sonic 2's levels.
    It's been fun, and now my body is ready for S4 ep1.

EDIT; I also got the good ending in Sonic CD, it was SO worth the extra few seconds of animation.

8. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Some of the battles do get a little tedious, but Rouge's specific-move battles are the worst. Still though, its a fun game.

Also, I'm promising myself that I'm not gonna cry at the end like usual. It always hits me right in the heart at the end - sad music playing, everyone reminiscing about Emerl.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Eh, I caved and recorded a playthrough of Sonic 2 for my YouTube channel. Just uploaded the first part of the Let's Play to my channel today. Probably won't finish it before I start uploading Sonic 4 gameplay videos, since I'm a bit slow when it comes to making good commentary for these things.

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Today: Sonic 1 and 2 (playing as Tails, not that it makes a difference)
    Score: 734150
    Time: 1:12:00 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    S1 Chaos Emeralds: GHZ1 GHZ2 MZ1 MZ2 SYZ1 SYZ2
    S2 Chaos Emeralds: GHZ1x2 GHZ2 GHZ3 MZ3 SYZ1 SYZ2

Well, turns out I don't suck at S2 special stages TOO much, just enough for me to not want to try them in S2 alone.

11. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Said screw it and played through Sonic 3 & Knuckles today as well.

Sonic & Tails
    7 Chaos Emeralds and 7 Super Emeralds
    Score: 907910
    Time: Approximatey 2 hours. It's been about 2'45" since I started playing, but I took breaks to walk the dog, eat something, check bullshit online, etc.
    Lives: 55
    Continues: 12

I really only died on the last phase of DEZ2, when Tails screwed me over as I was jumping back to hit the mech and I fell through. Then I restarted the boss and ran all the way to the end of the bridge, and fell through the floor at the end. Lame. I also wanna say I got crushed by something in Sonic 3, but I can't put my finger on where or what. Honestly, I think this is the best run I've done of the game, as I usually avoid losing Super Sonic when I get to MHZ and come back later for the Super Emeralds.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I tried that Sonic 1 & 2 hack earlier. It was fun... up until it crashed when I Spin Dashed across one of those platforms that sink into the lava and catch fire, at the very end of Marble Zone Act 1, causing the game to crash for some reason. Bah.

13. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    After getting a Nintendo points card earlier today, I decided to go ahead and fire up Sonic Mega Collection and attempt a decentish speed run of sonic 2, playing as sonic only, and ignoring the emeralds (just didn't feel like collecting 'em )

... I wasn't doing to bad until Metropolis zone act 2, where I somehow backtracked a little which cost me some time. Then in act 3 I got hit by the praying mantis badnik (can't think of it's name right now ) and was knocked off of a screw platform and was forced to backtrack pretty far costing me even more time. Then in Wing Fortress zone, I died twice towards the end by landing on the one gimmick that propels you forward over a pit, but doesn't propel you far enough and so you die (I hadn't died up until this point, So I was just a bit pissed at myself 'cause I think it was my fault that I landed on it the second time -_- ) and then I glitched through the last boss, killing me for a 3rd time. At that point, I kinda ragequitted <_< By the way, I was at 'bout 45 minutes by Metropolis zone, so as far as a decentish speed run goes,I don't think I did to badly...

I'll probably give sonic 3 and knuckles a go tomorrow... Erm, today. It'll probably be a similar run as the one that I attempted on Sonic 2, hopefully minus the deaths and needless backtracking.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Wanna know something magical, children?

For some reason, holding "forward" causes that launcher to not launch you very far. Not holding forward, however, causes it to launch you right across the pit.

Yeah. Because that totally makes sense, right?

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Just finished my playthrough today...

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    (played as Sonic alone)

CHAOS EMERALDS: 7, got the last one in Marble Garden Zone Act 2
    SUPER EMERALDS: 7, got the last one in Sandopolis Zone Act 2
    LIVES LOST: None :D
    TIME: Approximately 2 hours 15 minutes
    TOTAL SCORE: 1,028,890

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's called the air speed cap. Apparently, after he realised he'd fucked up the way the speed caps work in Sonic 1, the "amazing" Yuji Naka decided to only half-fix it in Sonic 2 so it'd be even more fucked up. Also, apparently anyone testing the game didn't catch it in either game.

Anyway,

Today: Sonic 3 & Knuckles (as Tails)
    Score: 1062790
    Time: 1:51:30 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: AIZ1x2, AIZx2, HCZ1, HCZ2x2
    Super emeralds: MHZ1x2, MHZ2x3, FBZ1x2

17. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    Really? Well... That's... Um... Yeah...

Anyways, I know for a fact that I was holding forward the first time that I landed on it, but I'm not so sure I was the second time... Oh well

Y'know... Looking back, I'm pretty sure that gimmick killed me the first time I played through Wing Fortress zone... How could I let it happen again, twice? :argh:

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Today: Sonic CD (JPN, of course)
    Score: 206250
    Time: Dunno. I was playing it on and off, because I decided to take the masochist route to the good ending...
    Time Stones: None.
    Machines destroyed: PPZ1 PPZ2 CCZ1 CCZ2 TTZ1 TTZ2 QQZ1 QQZ2 WWZ1 WWZ2 SSZ1 SSZ2 MMZ1 MMZ2

Looks like it'll be an otherwise complete classic game run-through as Sonic tomorrow before I get Sonic 4: Episode 1 on Wednesday.

19. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Well, I just marathon'd through Sonic 1+2 (All Emeralds), Sonic CD++ (No Emeralds, very fast speed run), and Sonic 3 Complete (All Emeralds).

6:06:06

No lie. I seriously stopped my iPod timer at that point. :P

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yesterday: Sonic 1 and 2 (playing as Sonic & Tails)
    Score: 807140
    Time: 1:19:00 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    S1 Chaos Emeralds: GHZ1 GHZ2 MZ1 MZ2 SYZ1 SYZ2
    S2 Chaos Emeralds: GHZ1x2 GHZ3 SYZ1 SYZ2 LZ2 EHZ2 ("TAILS! Jump precisely when I do!")

This morning: Sonic 3 & Knuckles (as Sonic & Tails)
    Score: 1168640
    Time: 1:41:15 (from starting up the emulator to hearing the SEGA scream after completing the game)
    Chaos emeralds: AIZ1x2, AIZx2, HCZ1, HCZ2x2
    Super emeralds: MHZ1x2, MHZ2x3, FBZ1x2

This evening, hopefully: Sonic 4 Episode 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.