don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I feel bad for continuing a tangent, but I can't stand misconceptions.

DK Vine has a bad reputation for people being curmudgeons. They popularized the words "Toothy Grin" in DK fandom, much like how BAW GREEN EYES is here. They almost unanimously love it.

People have a distaste for the toothy grin (including me, I think it's unessential and generally an eyesore OH DEAR RETARD ALERT), but the render shown isn't the worst. When he's doing it constantly for no reason and you see so much of his teeth and gums it becomes questionable how he closes his mouth. It also doesn't help that it's strongly associated with DK Jungle Beat, which DKC fans generally don't care for. And yes, the Arcade DK is not the same Donkey Kong. If people can think Sonic's smile looks awful, I fail to see what's so horrible about thinking the same over DK.

...Fuck, I'm sorry.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I have no problem with using a bit of rehash here and there. But Sonic 4 has so much rehash that it even goes to the point of outweighing original designs. I feel this is a fair criticism over the level/badnik production that went into this game. I want to play something new that is original. I don't feel that's a hard task for game company to do.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What?

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The modern Donkey Kong isn't the same Donkey Kong from the classic arcade game; that Donkey Kong got old and is now known as Kranky Kong.

5. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    On the GameFAQs and IGN DKCR boards there's a lot of hate for the new game too, so I'm just assuming the DK fandom for the most part is not pleased.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    There'll be hate for anything on the Internet. The fandom as a whole is probably a lot mellower on the topic.

7. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Yeah, like being homing attack fodder. :v:

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

The retractable-spikes aspect of Bubbles did make it a suitable candidate for repurposing.

...My God, that sounds so corporate and cynical.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Well, yeah I know that. DK Jr. is the DK we now know and love.

10. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Well that shows that it comes down to personal preference. I personally hate Marble Garden and felt it was a waste of time. Icecap is pretty bad ass though

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Quote of the day right there. I don't even care about Sonic 4's criticism, I'm just all in favor of face-fucking awesomeness. That's going in my sig.

Also, what Aquaslash said: It's a "Best Of" introduction to the rest of Sonic 4, which'll be like two or three more episodes. Get over it.

One thing I probably won't get over is the price, though. $15? Really, SEGA? I don't fucking think so. I'm hard pressed to find a WiiWare game that costs more than 1,000 Wii points, and the ones I did were Cave Story and Sin & Punishment at 1,200 points, and Final Fantasy CC: My Life as a King and World of Goo for 1,500 points.

Okay, it's not unheard of, but it's rare. I'll pay for it, but it better be fucking good.

12. ...The fuck?

Why are we talking about Donkey Kong?

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Why are you prolonging it?

Technically it's my fault, but I refuse to be blamed for the thread's propensity towards argumentative tangents. I was giving my honest two cents, and we're already about 5 pages ahead.

14. serpx

serpx

15 dollars is cheap as fuck for a new 2D Sonic game. Of course, value is subjective, but I'm amazed at how many people find 15 dollars too much for Sonic 4. Of course, unless it's actually a shitty game, then I can easily understand.

15. Patback

Patback

My understanding is that it's 15 dollars for Episode 1. If so, then yeah, that's EXTREMELY expensive. If it's for everything, then I don't have a problem with it.

16. serpx

serpx

Though, is it not around the same length as the original Sonic games? The Sonic Advance 2 games are retailing for 20+ dollars. Haven't played them in quite a few, but are they that much longer? I think the episodic ordeal is giving people the illusion that they're not getting a full game, when in reality, they are. It's the story that comes in episodes, such as with Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Should Sonic 3 have retailed for 10-15 dollars, because it was some kind of half game?

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

$15 would be cheap enough for a new 2D Sonic game in the classic style with all the physics and stuff done right, even at four zones. When you consider the physics being what they are and the zones and bosses all taking the "best of" route rather than trying to be new, it's easy to be skeptical of the price. To be fair, I could take the "best of" thing if the physics were right and still not complain about a $15 price tag at all; but without those physics, the inevitable quality drop makes it hard for me to say that $15 is a fitting price.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, exactly... I didn't say they were used well.

Anyway, a scan has surfaced. It also has the first official snap of Mad Gear. The previewer cites some off physics too.

19. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Eh... $15 is a bit steep, especially for a download only title. $10 would have been a sweeter spot.

Now, there's been insider rumblings that Sonic 4 will be three to four parts long, meaning it's $45-$60 if the pricing trend continues. At that point, despite the argument of "side-scrollers aren't valuable enough for discs" (complete bull, really,) they may as well just slap all four parts together and break out disc releases on all three main consoles.

"Oh, come on, it's $5, man. Stop being so cheap."

I work pretty hard for my money, and I'm sure most other people do, so "just $5" is quite a bit when I have other expenses to consider, like gasoline or nourishment. Sorry I can't have mommy and daddy buy everything for me.

Eh... guess I'll be giving this a pass until the eventual temporary price drop or pass entirely if a physical copy is confirmed to be in the works. I'd definitely swing for that.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

$15 equates to £9.50 approximately, so it's basically £10 for Brits. I don't think that's a bad price really. It's on the higher end of acceptable, but eh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.