don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    *Canned Sitcom Laughter*
    I can't help but agree with Polygon Jim though.

The whole uncurling thing doesn't sound that bad to me. The way GeneHF described it, it's only a problem if you're an idiot about jump boosting.

Also:
    I think this is a precaution, in case a dashpad leads you into an enemy. If you're rolling it'll kill the enemy and all that.

2. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I really don't see why it was included in the first place, it just makes slopes really fucking annoying and discourages the spin-dash even more. I think Sonic 4 looks like an alright game, but there are some desgin flaws such as that which could really make something potentially good into something annoying to play.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    "Precaution?" Because I'm sure the designer who put the dash pad there had no idea he'd also put a pair of Motobugs on the slope right in front of it.

4. Namo

Namo

Heh, at this point, I wouldn't even doubt that someone would do that.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    In that sense though, its just creating one more design flaw to compensate for another.

Exactly why I likened the situation to the Homing Attack/Air Boost issue with Unleashed HD.

But again, we're still luckily at the point where this is all subject to possible change.

6. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Reminds me of the asshole who put a red spring in Marble Gardens Act 2 that sent you dead into a set of spikes.
    Or the asshole that didn't know if you go too fast in that S pipe in Green Hill that you'd die from a bottomless pit that did have a botttom.
    Or the asshole who thought it was a good idea to put Whisps at the top of the spring jump out of the water in Aquatic Ruins 2.

I can literally do this all day.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    And you'll do it less rudely, or you won't do it at all. :)

8. And let's not forget the spring in Marble Garden that either sent you into the spiky side of a Caterkiller, or if you destroyed them, sent you uncontrollably careening into a pool of lava.

Anyhoo, dashpads need not force you into a roll, even if there are enemies there. Sonic can roll manually if he chooses to. Sonic levels generally require you to memorize them to get good at them, hence the previous statement

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Fixed that for you. :eng101:

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah... curling into a ball should definately be the player's decision, and it's quite absurd that the game decides to uncurl Sonic in the air if he was already spinning.

It's like the game itself sometimes auto-protects you and sometimes makes you vulnerable on purpose. Like it's cheating, doing stuff you didn't command it to, which no doubt will feel frustrating in many situations.

Hey, this is pretty cool.

Oh wow, let's not blow it out of proportion. That change probably took a couple of hours at most, and it was something that anybody who had played the classics would have noticed, making it one of the features of the Rush engine they should have changed first, along with the physics.

By the way, if you guys want any big changes, you should try to get ahold of that biker who got the Scrapper out of Epic Mickey so the game wouldn't destroy his childhood. =P

11. Vandelay

Vandelay

Say Vandelay!
    If the physics and the uncurling aren't addressed this game will fail.
    Also I agree, the dashpad shouldn't force you into a roll. Sonic can just roll into a ball anyway. This game doesn't need to hold your hand. One thing about the classics that made them great was that you had to figure out the best routes to take. Not "dashpad, spring, dashpad, zipline, spring, dashpad end"

12. Namo

Namo

And here I thought Bikers were rough n' tough.

13. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    What the shit? Link, please?!

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sure. Here.

15. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Fuck. Hope you can get it back with Ocarina.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So I played this at Gamescom.
    Before anyone asks about changes in the game: it was the E3 demo, but in German. (at least, it seemed like it)
    I can't really tell you all much new except for what's been said. I only played the first 2 acts. I liked it, but if you're going to compare it to the Genesis games, you're only going to ruin this game for yourself.
    Also, Sonic Colours was better.

17. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    HOLY SHIT! We need to find a biker who likes Sonic. NOW.

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    "NO, GREEN EYES! DON'T RUIN MY CHILDHOOD SEGA!"

I wish it were that simple.

19. Demi

Demi

Oldbie
    Of the 3 Sonic 4 tracks I've heard so far, Title Screen, Zone 1 and Zone 2, I like all of them so far. They're perfectly fine in my opinion.

20. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    lol

My point is that "bad enemy placement" has existed since... well, Donkey Kong. And I'm willing to bet that it existed before that.
    I will admit that the bottomless pits may be a bit absurd for a Sonic game (in Sonic Advance 2, you can't pass Sky Canyon Act 1's lower level if you never read the manual), but I'm not buying enemy placement gripes.

At this point, I'm more worried about how bad the roll is...

Off-topic: lol @ someone who wouldn't even play the game affecting Epic Mickey. Amazing decision? Or stupid decision?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.