don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Thanks for that Ruby, sorry you have such a thankless job.

Good lord guys, if I went back in time like 5 years and said we'd have a current SEGA employee frequenting the forums, would you have believed me? We are so lucky. I doubt that Ruby has any counterparts in other franchises other than maybe WoW and Myst.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I know, right? We're just so lucky to have a sentient spambot trawling the forums, baiting us with a drip feed of pointless information at a time where our patience is already wearing thin, and boosting community morale to ensure that a game that ultimately doesn't deserve the sales gets bought. Oh, and you've got a fleck of shit on your nose. Riiight there. Here, I've got a napkin-

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Er, don't you remember back in the day when people were talking about Sonic Team or Yuji Naka watching Sonic Cult?

Yeah, and everything you like sucks too, buddy.

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Well it doesn't make me squeal with joy but its nice knowing they're at least doing something to it. Hopefully if the physics get an upgrade, it won't take long for a level editor to come out and the bad design decisions can be fixed.

5. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Seth Killian, a dude that works with Capcom, interacts with the competitive Capcom community quite a bit. Dunno how he does with forums, but he goes to Street Fighter tourneys, including Evo, North America's biggest fighting game tourney.

That said, Street Fighter fans are no where near as divided as Sonic fans.

6. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    I honestly think the only reason anyone is taking this game too seriously is because it has the name "Sonic 4". Face it, it will be a simple Sonic game that you might just mildly enjoy. I admit, the early leaked build looked like shit but it seems that Sega might just make it something that might put a small nostalgic smile on your face. The physics DO need to be fixed, but even if they aren't (which would be a stupid move) the game should still entertain you enough for the whopping $10-$15 you have to pay. It's not like some huge Sega title that is meant to be a blockbuster. It is designed with the purpose of bringing back some old school feeling.

While the game (episode 1) is almost an entire rehash, it will still have it's own place. While I admit I have my small nitpicks like no classic Sonic, terrible music, wonky moon physics, and a gripe that should be fixed with the whole using all classic sounds and suddenly use that horrid homing attack noise, I think that Sonic 4 (or Sonic HD 2D Adventure) shouldn't be taken so seriously. Yes it is called Sonic 4, but it is only Sonic 4 so people who haven't played Sonic since the 90's will have that small spark of "I remember this!".

ITT: You shouldn't take Sonic 4 seriously. This is Sega, the notalent game developers who think Sonic is a Werewolf.

7. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie

If Tweaker doesn't tear into you for being entitled I'm sad

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Entitlement has nothing to do with this, I just think Ruby ought to get a real job. That anyone could make a living playing show-and-tell with Sonic's fanbase, appeasing it with toys and soothing words whenever it scrapes a knee- it perturbs me, it does.

9. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Here's a rant I did elsewhere that is somewhat relevant

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It's only a distribution medium, and a perfect platform for a game like this, at that. I don't see the point in holding that against anyone.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    If he's getting paid to do it, then it's a real job! :specialed:

12. I am honestly wondering how on Earth Ruby has enough self-control, not to say "Fuck it" and walk away. I mean the dude has taken unparalleled amounts of shit from the people who he's trying to please, and he's still trying to make sure our complaints are heard.
    I can't honestly imagine how patient the guy is.

For God's sake, he mentioned the problems that people have been whining about.
    He has indeed heard them. He will at some point tell somebody at the development end, if he hasn't already. He's done more than his job probably requires him to.

This sounds pretentious.
    "..should get a real job"
    Are you serious?

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Also, Bungie has great community support, some of the best in the Biz. And Naughty Dog is similarly awesome.

14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Simple! He gets paid. That's the crux of this whole affair. He's not some benevolent saint who's sticking his neck out to please you all, he's just doing his 9 to 5. If the game flops, I'm sure it's no skin off his back so long as he gets to keep his job. And you know what he'll say to us then? "I tried, I fought for you guys, I really did... But rest assured, we're still listening! Expect all of the features you want and more in the action-packed Episode 2, coming in x/x/2011! Now dance for us and we'll give you some free merchandise." I imagine it's a hilarious job, really.

If anything, I'm grateful that Sega went out of their way to hire a guy like this to serve as damage control. I do believe they care and want this game to succeed, because they're surely at their wits' end and can't afford anymore fuckups. That said, get over yourselves already. He's not your fucking friend.

Well, not really.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Jesus, and I thought I was the most negative person on Retro. That was a tad harsh, don't ya think?

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    No they're not. SEGA just isn't taking full advantage.

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yet.

They got a whole branch of their company, a full 1/3 of their global presence, devoted to downloadable games now. Sonic 4 is just the tip of the iceberg right now.

Heck, I'd argue that you should have added Afterburner Climax to your list of examples, since to the vast majority of people who played it via PSN or XBLA, it was a brand new game.

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Holy shit that Brave and the Bold game looks fun. I could definitely go for a fun Batman beat em up game, that just hit my list of things to get.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Climax is a port of an arcade game.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

No shit. What part of "to the vast majority of people who played it via PSN or XBLA, it was a brand new game" did you not get?

EDIT: Also, is batman: brave and the bold wiiware? I could have sworn it was a retail release...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.