don't click here

THE SonED2 thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Quite annoying that this method doesn't set the remember sprite flag though. I mean, hitting the 0 button isn't a big deal, but still. :V

2. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    That's not an issue with Sonic 2, because the ring layout is separate and the flag doesn't apply there. With Sonic 1, double-right-clicking is just a shortcut for object 25, but as you say, it doesn't set the remember sprite state flag, whereas selecting object 25 manually does set the flag.

(In Sonic 2, object 25 is the object you get when you place a ring in placement mode.)

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    So today I was converting the level layout file, I had converted into an .asm file some time ago, into a .bin again. Made a test build and everything was fine. But then I wanted to edit it with SonED2 (which is why I converted it back in the first place; this program reads stuff as bytes regardless of the format), and I all I saw was my level jumbled into various places. I was able to locate some pieces from it, but it was more than a big pile of shit than a level.

So obviously, the program didn't read the level layout file correctly (by the way, when saving it's saving it as this jumbled format, so the only problem is reading). Is the reason maybe that my level layout has a horizontal size of $53 chunks (S1 format)? If so, anyone knowing how to make SonED2 read it the correct way?

4. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Are you sure that you have the width and height set properly for both the FG and BG layers? If it's missing those particular bytes it screws up the whole loading process.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm pretty sure all that is correct. I mean, it's loading fine in the game itself. It's just SonED2 that doesn't want me to edit the file.

6. jman2050

jman2050

Is the project file set to load Sonic 1 style layouts?

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Yes. I mean, if that would be Sonic 2 it wouldn't work at all, would it? And, as I said, I remember some level segments there. They just seem to be in a completely random order.

8. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    I had this bug before. I think you need to have the length/width below $40, or else it wont load correctly.
    Also, if you save while the layout is messed up in SonEd2, the level layout comes out fine in the game.
    I guess there's a problem reading the first bytes of the file.
    Not to mention, editing sonic 2 is also quite impossible, if you have too many rings in the level the layout gets messed up.

9. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    If the problem really is that it can't be over $40 chunks, is there ANY way to still use SonED2? I can't squeeze it $13 chunks down, it's just impossible.

10. jman2050

jman2050

Crap, I misread your first post. Yeah $53 chunks is too high a width for stock Sonic 1 and the current version of SonED2 isn't designed for longer than that.

I ran into this issue when making my Sonic 3 Proof-of-Concept hack, I just split the layout/object/ring lists in two and spliced them together myself after editing, but I don't know if that's feasible in your case.

11. kram1024

kram1024

Researcher / Hacker Oldbie
    at home, duh
    Part of the new Team Revamped; Kraminator Special Series disassemblies; Sonic 3 Sound Driver porting guides; KENS 1.5; smps studio; various non-sonic related things
    soned2 is now officially working in crossover linux professional v. 10.0.0

Official instructions on how to set up soned2 on linux or mac on codeweavers app compatibility page for soned2.

12. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    It's a possibility I could think about, but all I wanted to do was to change a couple of chunks. And after realizing that, it's probably much easier to just use a hex editor and modify those values (which is what I did now btw).

Thanks for helping though. =)

13. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow Sonic 3 and Knuckles support? Pretty awesome I must say, I hope to start seeing some hacks based off that game. Same goes for Sonic Cd

15. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I doubt that I will ever need S3K and SCD support, but having an editor for Crackers is damn awesome! (Totally not making advertisment for the Crackers disassembly. :V)

But that is not the major reason I post. No, this version is SOOOO00000oooo.... much better than the 2004 in terms of working with it. As an example: In the old version you had arrows to select stuff. However, those arrows were smaller than my cursor, a fact that wasn't really helpful with my gigantic screen size either (I was FORCED to use this program in full screen). Those arrows have been replaced by just clicking on what you want; much better!

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The Sonic 2 2P mode support is interesting. Very nice improvements all around. (also it seems not to crash when opening project files for me now :D)

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]
    So is anyone else having trouble with these new Project files? I split a clean Sonic 2 with the 2007 disassembly just to test it out. The regular old project files do work though.

18. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It's a newer spec to handle the new thing SonED2 has now. Continue with the older project files for convenience.

19. jman2050

jman2050

Yeah the included project files are specifically for use with ROMulan. The project files that come with your disassembly should still be used.

20. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    I modified the project files for Sonic 1 to match the structure of the svn disassembly and uploaded them on the svn. <a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=562504'>Details</a>

I'll be doing project files for Sonic 2 tomorrow.