don't click here

The most annoying moments of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I use the shortcut almost every time I play that level.

2. xcliber

xcliber

:colbert: Ah. My mistake.

I prefer to think of it as a bug because some copies of Sonic 1 do it and others don't. Either way, there is a bug in the spike code that causes unintended behavior be it that the spikes still hurt you when your flashing or that they don't hurt you when you are flashing. Hence, it is still a "spike bug" *shot* unless it was intended that it does it in some copies of Sonic 1 and not others.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The spikes were designed like that from looking at the code (im sure someone dug it up and explained) but they must have changed their minds and removed it for rev 1 or 2.

4. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Wait... that shit was INTENTIONAL?! :psyduck:

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Well, they are really big spikes.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's also a specific spike-death sound effect!
    Considering most games make spikes instant-death NO EXCEPTIONS, it was probably a concious design decision, and not even something like the bug against the final boss in Sonic 3 that they kept in.

Even though some copies of Sonic 1 -- like the mega collection copy IIRC -- don't have it, I still don't think it qualifies as a bug. The lack of a spin dash isn't a bug, nor is it ever considered to be, and damn if they didn't throw that into certain re-releases of the game.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    If I recall, the only official build of Sonic 1 that ever changed the spike behavior was in Sonic Mega Collection because—according to the bugtesting sheets for the game—testers identified it as a bug to be fixed. The only other time it was changed was in Sonic Jam when Spin Dash was enabled, but I'm pretty sure that's because it loaded the Sonic 2 Sonic object instead of the Sonic 1 variant.

8. Tarheeltim

Tarheeltim

That spike bug was kinda annoying.

9. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I find Sonic 1 too easy to complain about but that's because of how many hundred times I've played the thing.

I like the challenge of trying to blow up Robotnik in Labyrinth Zone. You pretty much have to hit him every chance you can get and not miss any of the jumps. You can usually get in the 8th hit just before he stops above the water.

And yeah Tweaker I know what you mean about the rotating platforms and the fire in Scrap Brain. It used to trip me up but I've got used to it. Recently I fell through and miraculously landed on one of the conveyor belt platforms below.

10. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I only found it weird that he had to hit the thing twice to die. Hitting it once and kicking it would probably be too harsh on those spikes scattered along the leve (though PERFECTLY possible to die on one of those as well).

And if I recall~in Jam, the whole "spike bug" is still accessible if you load Sonic 1 in original mode and the "spike bug" is fixed in normal mode )probably easy mode as well). I'll test it later to be sure.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    That is my favorite area of the game, and my favorite act of the game, and my favorite Zone of the game. I can make it through that segment every time without getting air once. It's like clockwork with me.

Proof

I, however, hate Spring Yard Zone in its entirety. Collision Chaos Zone is SYZ done right.

12. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    As well as the things I mentioned earlier, I'd like to add another. For some reason, the music on my copy of S1 is a lot slower than the Mega Collection and .bin equivalents. That annoyed me on certain levels...

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The music is slower in PAL games because of the 60Hz/50Hz difference. They took care of this issue only in Sonic 3.

14. Malpass

Malpass

Makes sense. It wasn't as obvious in Sonic 2 though imo.

15. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I think S2 PAL has correct music speed but the game itself still ran like a 50hz game, playing the pal version at 60hz gives you correct game speed but fast music. I need to check again.

Spending years playing S1 at 50hz, the first time I played the emulated games it was way too fast for me but now, the pal versions are too slow :P

17. Malpass

Malpass

Basically, this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.