don't click here

The most annoying moments of Sonic 1

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D.A. Garden, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    =O

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I always just ran right through there and didn't even hesitate to stop once, not even jump or slow down. It's the only way you can actually make it through, but yea, I hear ya. That part sucks.

Other then that, I find everything else about Sonic 1 really damn fun and enjoyable. Shit you know what, I'm gonna go play some Sonic 1 right now. Thanks Retro.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Labyrinth 3's final climb to the red springs. Those spiked balls can make you constantly fall right back down! Marble Zone annoys me in general.

4. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    And isn't it amazing when a Buzz Bomber's bullet is fired at exactly the right time and you get trapped and hit?

Honestly, this is probably my favorite Sonic game (Or maybe Sonic CD...) It doesn't have some of the annoying parts of the other games (Especially those levels that are just a chore to play through) and it has no faults.

5. I recently tried getting through Sonic 1 without dying once. This section is what finally killed me. I was almost pissed off, but I didn't get mad due to the fact I had probably wasted all my luck getting through Labyrinth Act 3's boss, which is actually my least favorite part.

But that trap annoys me now because of that incident.

6. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    It has to be the stupid badniks in Spring Yard Zone that roll in a ball, which is usually where the platforms with the switches are located. (I forget it's name...) and the last part of Labyrinth Zone Act 3.

7. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Its the Roller Badnik.

8. The reason the levels go in a pattern of fast and slow is because in 1991, this game was FAST and the slow levels helped give you some time to figure out what the fuck was going on

9. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    I find it annoying how this stone block graphics disappear for a moment.
    [​IMG]

10. I hate it too. Similar things happen in other areas, but this is probably the worst case. Many things disappear when you have invincibility (parts of bridges, breakable walls) because it uses so many sprites.

I know the Genesis/MD can display a decent number of sprites per scanline, but Sonic Team should still have used some sort of sprite cycling so that objects would flicker instead of disappear. Sprite cycling was very common on the NES and on the SMS, I bet they could have easily used it on the Genesis/MD.

11. I hate Scrap Brain act 3. Not for the fact that it is a LZ clone with purple water, but the fact that there is a longer distance between bubbles and a lot more enemies than in any LZ act. I can breeze threw it now, but ten/fifteen years ago it frustrated the hell out of me.

Also, has anyone here beat Robotnik to the top of the LZ act 3 chase?

12. Phithpleis

Phithpleis

Nein Member
    Your location
    Current Project
    When I attempt to spindash only to find out that I couldn't

EDIT: Whoops, double post in same post. Error.

13. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Yes, but that's debug mode for you

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It's actually LZ4 >.<

15. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    Funfact: on sections just like this one, once you get on the rightmost "block" section (the one you have to jump over or else you're pushed off the floating block and into the lava), all you have to do is run left, jump to the next one, and up to the ledge. Once I figured that out, I never bothered with the floating bricks again.

That being said, those damned push-bricks are so slow and annoying.

Edit: Posting error made this post three times as long as it needed to be!

16. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    About this point:

[​IMG]

If I'm too tired to time it well, here's what I'll do. I'll run until I reach the end of the solid platform, and jump. Right before I hit the flame (intentionally) I'll press left on the control pad, so that way I am facing left when it hits me. This makes me recoil to the right side, thus landing on safe ground.

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Labyrinth Zone frustated (and scared) me, those opening ground platforms and spinning blocks on SB as well. The enemies in spring yard and the blocks going up and down slowly were pretty annoying. And those exploding bombs in starlight were the bane of me.

18. Digifiend

Digifiend

I hate Scrap Brain's section where you have these platforms which move into the wall, if you go to the left of one, you can too easily get squashed. Also Sonic 3's Carnival Night. There's one drum in Act 2 which I've only ever got past by using debug mode. The bosses don't bother me, not even the Labyrinth chase, I can beat them easy enough. Checker Wrecker (Green Hill Zone boss) is easy compared to the bosses in the later games, such as Sonic 3's final boss (the one which gets skipped when playing as Sonic and/or Tails in Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

19. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You know what I also hate? The spinning tops in Marble Zone.

:v:

+ - Explanation of joke: I noticed that you quickly veered off the topic by discussing Sonic 3, and so I decided to play on this by taking two similar zone names, Marble Zone and Marble Garden Zone, from Sonics 1 and 3 respectively, and deliberately mixing up the appearance of unique level features. A light-hearted, though possibly non-sequitir lampoon on your comment, which I frequently like to indulge in, both on this forum and others. Also, welcome to Sonic Retro.  

20. Those rotating things in Flying battery Zone weren't no picnic either, you know.

[​IMG]

I'm specifically referring to the ones in act 2 that could crush you almost immediatly, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.