don't click here

The Lost Sega Worlds

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Nov 10, 2020.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    The art on the center card looks very similar to the Sonic calendar art. Any way to know who did the art?

2. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    A few just dropped in this post, though I haven't been keeping track:
    [​IMG]
    "'88 A HAPPY NEW HARRIER"
    [​IMG]
    Did they really have to make a minor variant for both a specific game center and a special occasion like New Years as well??

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Age's Kumamoto came up again, so I gave it a page. The address in that EnJoint scan wasn't playing nicely with OCR software which is why I hadn't tackled it sooner, but Google handles it fine when searching for our PDF.

...I mean the address doesn't exist anymore but I'm fairly sure it used to. Sega claims it was at the entrance to the "Kamitori shopping area" so... here you go.

It looks like coincided with a redevelopment of the area in 1990, but there was another one in 1998 that likely hides all traces of its existence. And obviously Japan hasn't documented its history online very well, despite the place supposedly dating back to 1632.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "right let's close that PDF now"

"hang on"

[​IMG]

"I've seen this place before"

[​IMG]

It was real

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Ted909

Ted909

The bones of what was once SegaWorld are of course long gone now in most parts of the world - last time I checked the Trocadero was becoming a mosque again, and Darling Harbour on the other side of the world is unrecognisable. Things are apparently different sometimes in Japan... because this
    [​IMG]
    was once this:
    [​IMG]
    and the former appears to be what that part of the Osaka ATC building has stayed like to today.

(having said all that, the first Joypolis location was completely demolished altogether ages ago, so swings and roundabouts I guess)

• List
  6. FMecha

FMecha

Came here just to post this: Wikimedia Commons has one picture of one of SS Mega Dunia (as they called it) Jakarta branches (dated September 2002 according to its exif metadata) that I found by accident:
    [​IMG]

There's also text mentions of "Sega World" in the 2003 Jakarta Shopping Center Guide (bilingual English/Indonesian), though no mention in which location. (The Sega Worlds in Indonesia weren't in one location - in addition to Jakarta, there were also ones in Surabaya and Yogyakarta.)

On a side note, I would also like to document history of Indonesian arcades in general - local sources and communities, as well as trade magazines doesn't seem to give clear picture to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • List
  8. Ted909

Ted909

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I'm going to upload those four "Monthly Coin Journal" magazines to Retro CDN... There are only four of these magazines at the moment, right?

12. More of these are coming soon...