don't click here

The Eggfan Vault

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by doc eggfan, Dec 9, 2012.

1. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    That's some nice additions there EggFan.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    An absolutely fascinating piece of insight into a not-very-well documented chunk of Sega's past. I wonder how many people worldwide have the kit to do this?

3. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    What OL said, more or less. Very pleased to see all of this going up after years of basically being buried. Thanks for this, Eggfan - keep up the good work!

4. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Any preferences for more videos? Mostly static screenshots convey enough of the experience, minus the loading and bleepy-bloop sound effects.

I might do a Blackjack one, since the epilepsy inducing colour flashes when you win aren't conveyed very accurately in still shots.

Also, tried to get my SF-7000 out of hibernation, but I'm getting the dreaded two-beep RAM error. I'll have to go pester smspower.org for some help.

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    A couple more...

Also updated Segaword 1 and Backgammon

I had to downgrade the quality of the front scan of Bastow Manor to fit under the 10MB limit. Is there an easy way to get around this, or just flick it to a wiki admin person?

Also, where there were Commodore 64 conversions, should we be including those as well? I know we do for Sega games (eg Arcade conversions) but not sure about 3rd party games on Sega systems.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The C64 conversions don't need to be covered here - they don't have anything to do with Sega

It's "games published/developed/licensed by Sega" and "games for Sega systems". Otherwise we'd find ourselves having to cover thousands more titles

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT

8. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Alien

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGsxAEpHIE[/youtube]

The footage was a bit glitchy, not sure if it's my recording hardware interfering or a bad load/dodgy tape

What's the feelings regarding type-in/non-commercial games? I found a copy of Candy Kid on a blank tape, and turns out it was a type-in from NZ Sega Magazine.

9. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I'd quite like to have a record of all published programs, whether they were published on cartridge, tape or good ol' dead tree media.

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm7ydBYrhBQ[/youtube]

There's clearly some typos in this recording I found eg 'CSORE' and it's impossible to play on the unresponsive rubber keyboard.

Also...

[​IMG]
    Damn you magnetic degradtion :argh:

I had 3 copies of both Vortex Blaster and Vermin Invaders, and not one of them would load. Luckily they're both included on the SC-3000 Multi-cart, I've ordered.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Luckily Vortex Blaster is about the only SC-3000 cassette game that is dumped

Vermin Invaders... not so much

12. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Well, any sound engineers around here? I could dump the three versions I've got and someone could try and mix the three together. I'd imagine it's just high frequency square waves, but I could be wrong.

Or just wait for my copy of this http://www.sc3000-multicart.com/section3.htm

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Ninja
    Candy Kid

Also updated Bastow Manor and King Solomon with screenshots.

14. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    The Case of the Mad Mummy

What's a good commodore 64 emulator, I think I need to investigate the softgold series on C64 as well to get a better feel for who are the developers and publishers. The games keep saying Gameworx software, but the cases keep saying Softgold, published by Dotsoft. I suspect that they may have been all one company? maybe?

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I believe the best C64 emulator is VICE: http://www.viceteam.org/

There are both 64bit and 32bit Windows builds available here, as well as other platforms.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I use WinVice too, although I don't keep track of the C64 scene so there might be better options out there. It'll probably run the vast majority of games and there are ports to everything so it shouldn't matter.

Lemon 64 says all the C64 conversions of these games were created by a bloke called "Daryll Reynolds" under the SoftGold name
    http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games/list.php%3Fpublisher%3DSoftgold

a quick google search shows he turned up... not too long ago on their forums
    http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22112&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think the history of all of this may be a tad overwhelming. The Secret of Bastow Manor for example apparently became "Mystery of Munroe Manor" when brought to the UK. And the fact I ran into a Sharp MZ-700 port isn't a good sign because systems like that are woefully under-documented. There could be dozens of versions

it would be lovely if there was a Sega Retro-like project for "old computers" because I keep running into awkward situations like these with games and it really needs to be written down somewhere I think

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Skull Island
    Softgold

That's all the Softgold titles I have, hope that's all of them. I sent a couple of emails to Darryll to see if he can shed some light on some things I'm not sure/guessing about. Also need to play through some of his C64 and Amiga titles to see if I can find a Softgold logo somewhere.

Thanks for the Dotsoft page too B.Squiz

Also updated Candy Kid with scans (source code =P)

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
  19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT
    Tank Addition

My copy of Marauding Multiplication no longer loads. Anyone know a good place to see if it's been dumped?

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

ACT