don't click here

Super's S3K mod Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Super, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    If I become a full member here, I will continue my updates here.

No screenshots due to very little level layout change. Unfourtuantly, Its nothing too great because Its a mostly utilty only game. Some Hex will be encorpurated in the last bits before the game is finished.

Current Changes (Yes, I used Esreal):

-Level Order. Knuckles gets some of his own levels, Sonic gets some of his.(Esreal)

-Small Changes to AIZ1 level layout. (SonED)

-Level Text Changed(Esreal)

-Special stages 1-7 and secret 8 changed. (Esreal)

-Playlist Changed. trust me, Its for the best.

-Random other stuff that sdon't matter at this point. Like palette changes.

Next Update is when all the palettes have changed or I finish an intire Zone in level design.

2. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    WTF, are you like holding this topic ransom for your validation? :P

3. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    If you've actually made some changes why not release a patch in your topic? Otherwise we have very little to go on. People will get bored.

4. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    No, I put that in there Becuase I was told to put a my hack up while a trial member. I seriously don't think anyone will care much about this right now.

A Patch? I seriously think no one wants that out yet. I am editing the sprites of Sonic into Super, and I have not finished all of them. Only about 15% are done, so you will have to see him twitch. But I will post Screen shots soon.

5. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    Ok ^^

6. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Releasing hack while trial member = good.

Saying you're making a hack with no screens, release or much of anything = not so good.

Attempted hack of S3K = pretty cool.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I hope you stay in pending approval for a looong time...

8. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Um, he's not in PA yet...

9. Robjoe

Robjoe

Even if only 15% or so of the sprites are done, shots of the completed ones couldn't hurt. Nor shots of the pallettes. ;)

10. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Well, he's got only two posts left, I'm sure he doesn't wanna waste them on some palettes he's not exactly sure of.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I know, but he'll be there.....he'll be there....

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Unless one of the admins decide to fuck with you and approvee him right now.

Also, GET BACK ON AIM. You forgot again and I have stuffs to show you.

13. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    These are the palettes that I have for AIZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rest of the palettes were in my old hack, but my Computer busted and now I have to start anew. the Palettes in this hack will look like these that follow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, I was at a cross roads on these two palettes. Lave Reef.

[​IMG]
    This overall looks better, but you get a wall of peanut butter.

[​IMG]
    And this one is a little plain, but it fits the rotating colors.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That sunset MGZ one is fucking fantastic. The rest kinda suck.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Those are some god-awful screenshots. Not the contents, but the way they've been rendered. Either they're way too big and JPEG, they're perfect size but dithered, or they're too big and dithered. All three of those would cause the file size to be much larger than necessary. At the very most, a 256-color non-dithered image is best, and I'd doubt you'd need to go over 128, even in a level with water (which can potentially double the number of distinct on-screen colors).

16. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

test-object's worst nightmare. Member
    California
    lrning2hack
    Yeah, they kinda suck, but Angel Island zone 1 looked frickin' sweet, as did Marble Garden zone and Hydrocity zone. Pretty good looking, to me. :yes:

17. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Well, at least you're trying a different game instead of just pumping out some horrible pallette hack of Sonic 2 like everybody else. It at least shows you're making an effort.

And, like Tweaker said, that Marble Garden thing... WOW.

18. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

California
    lrning2hack
    Heh, that is so true.
    That Susnet Marble Garden thing is almost as awesome as the sunset phase was in Knuckles' Chaotix, which, is damned good. And I mean REALLY good. Can't find a 32x Mac emulator so I can rip those sprites, though. :cry:

19. Robjoe

Robjoe

I'm with LocalH on the whole quality issue. Get IrfanView and make PNGs. They're of perfect quality and are one of smallest file types.

As for the pallettes themselves, in AIZ1, blue and red clash a lot , and the black/red FG, is overall unappealing. In AIZ2, atleast the BG is red, but (again) the black/orange grass looks pretty bad. From what I can see of the water, it looks like a blotch of a couple colors. In LBZ2, I like the general idea of night, but your execution is terrible, mainly due to the pipes. Get rid of the yellow lines in them, then we'll talk. MGZ1 looks pretty damn good, and I bet it'd be orgasmic in a better quality. Nice job. In FBZ1, I personally have no beef with what you have going, but I know a fair few people don't like lime green. I'd suggest a more teal look on in FG, like on the BG. In HCZ1, grey/black isn't the greatest color for that place, but I've no real clue on what else to do with it, sorry. In LRZ1, I don't know what to say, except keep it the same, so... keep it the same. Seriously though, LRZ's hard to pallette without making it look like crap.

Those're my views on the pallettes, although better quality shots could help...

20. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

California
    lrning2hack
    *Uses .PNG all the time* :D
    Definately .PNG should be used, either that or .GIF... They're both quite good. .BMP and .JPG suck so badly, and they screw up the colors, not to mention the fact that .BMP blurs and darkens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.