don't click here

Super's S3K mod Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Super, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm? Doesn't S&K just use the music data from Sonic 3?

...But either way, they sound the same in S3 and S3&K, what do you mean with "longer"?

2. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I think he means just what it says. It's Longer. The Tune is Longer in Sonic Three than in Sonic & Knuckles. If we were to change the pointer and some things, the Tune might cut off part was in.

3. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    Its Hard to get through and get .4 realised for the Hacking contest, or else I have to send in something semi-finished in terms of Sonic 3 levels. I'm pretty sure .5 won't be out for a long time, for palettes must be finished and level order, music, and layout must be near done. All versions after .5 will be litle advancements hear and there, mostly concentrating on Music and perhaps other achievements.

On a Side note, I will be taking down my available version on the site, because I haven't roused much intrest and It'd be better to give the main course instead of appetizers throughout.

4. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    Well, The First two Zones are Completed. AIZ1 and HCZ1 do have a bit of thier former ways, but Angel Island Act 1A is the one that isn't edit too much, and Part B... The Loops are untouched. But Sooner or Later I'll go on to edit them more. HCZ2 Has some plane switching problems, but I'll fix them.

I have Started on Icecap. I Doubt I'll be able to finish by the end of the contest, so I won't be able to make the 1337 award... :P

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Don't put your self down like that, this is statring to look like a real fun hack :)

6. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    With 3-4 days left, I am frantically Completing IceCap 'IceBerg' Zone and Currently I may have Act 1 near done. I need to fix all the Palletes for the Bosses and Events so rings and HUD don't change when you enter. I need to fix up some Palette changes, and I may end up with Three Zones of Level Edits, and the rest just Palette, but that's good enough for me to submit, because I can still get an award. Mainly Palette or 1337. :P

But with StephenUK's retirement, I had PM'd him for some help, but never got an answer, so Now I'm making this public: Does anyone wish to help me with some Hex Work? I hope It doens't need ASM, but I need a A Button sword swipe. Does anyone know how to do this? I would point the art to use where the Whistle sprites are. And I also need to Add Knuckles's Rock Smashing Element to Sonic's Super form or just the Jump.

Is this too much to ask for, or Is in somewhat original and is someone willing to help?

7. Robjoe

Robjoe

Dude, if you rush to get ICZ done for the contest, you're almost guaranteed to produce an utter piece of shit. A small good hack is miles better than a large bad one. Just spend your last days refining what you have, not rushing to do everything.

And about the sword attack. While putting the sword to use, it doesn't sound that great. Think of it this way: How many times was Tails' tail-swipe attack useful in the Advance series?

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Or Sonic Adventure?

9. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    *Is a Tails fan Boy and used it all the freaking time, specially in Music plant in Sonic advance two. BOUNCE ME OFF, WILL YOU!?* Uhh...... Well.

Anyway, This will be my only hack in my career, like SHB Sonic 2 Long Version, I will keep adding to it until I quit the community, like so many people have lately.

This being, one I learn the basics, I will be producing my own badnicks which will block and be near industruable, unless used by the sword. These badnicks will take on the traits of switches, Like in Launch Base and Lava Reef, where you must destroy the switch to make the wall move out of the way.

I plan big. It's up to me to learn how, and although I don't show much promise now, I hope to convince some people I ain't useless as time goes by.

10. Robjoe

Robjoe

That's a good idea to make certain obstacles need the sword. Just don't remake those retrded "Kill Rooms" from Sonic Rush. Words can not describe how fucking stupid those were.

11. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Sorry to say it Super, but you'd need to be pretty damn good at ASM if you want to try that out. Not to mention you'd need a disassembly. There is Machine Code, however, that'd be even harder than working with ASM...

Well, this does look good. However, the sheer size of S3K hacks prevented me from downloading Robjoe's hack, which looks quite interesting.

12. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    There are IPS's, But I'm sure you want the ROM.

Just take the Robjoe's game from MSN. I'm sure he'll give it to you.

Edit: Also, Thunderspeed, I plan on Hacking for a long time. By then there should be a suitable S3K Dissassembly and my skills should be greatly improved. If not, I'll give it to Robjoe. :P

13. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    An actual good update on things bad about my hack.

The Palette of Mushroom Hill!

Act 1: Sunset
    [​IMG]

Act 2: Nighttime
    [​IMG]

Palette cue 3: Morning.
    [​IMG]

Also, I got rid of the red tree's of Launch Base. Edit:
    [​IMG]

It used to be a bit better looking then that, but for some odd reason, The palettes reverted a step back, after I had saved and checked them out. Well, now things are working again. Tell me what you think, and I'll try and please your eyes.

And yes, these are Bitmap. PNG wasn't working, it made the pictures way too small for no reason, and one doubled in size. Anyway, these are straight from the game shots.

Edit: Palette 3 in. Also, Photobucket transfers BMP's into JPEG.

14. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I'll give you a tip on the screenshots... take 'em straight outta Gens+, then upload them on ImageShack. I'm not sure if Photobucket automatically throws the images to .jpg(that's what the link to your pics are showing).

Besides that point, the palettes are starting to look good. My only problem is the HUD/Ring colors, which I was told to be part of the storyline... Yeah, I won't attack Super this time, as you've actually stuck with the idea after constant bashingness.

15. Robjoe

Robjoe

OMFG NON-NIGHTTIME PALLETTES!

MHZ#1: A definate step up from that terrible other one you had, but the rock stuff seem a little too bright, and it's lightest shade should not be blue, rather it should be gray, like the rest. And the sunset totally clashes with the other stuff.

MHZ#2: Ick. Blotchy grass, inverted and nearly nonexistant shading on the stems, bright rock stuff, and an overall grungy feel make this a bad one. Redo plz. =\

MHZ#3: Definately your best the three, and possibly second best of all. However, the FG's grass should use the faded type greens from the BG, and you may wanna tweak the rock. Other than that, not all that bad.

LBZ1: Better than before, no doubt, but you'll want to distinguish between the parts of the FG you walk on, and the "inner" stuff.

16. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    It is rather difficult to find non clashing Grass on Rock palettes, and rock cannot differ to much from all three. MHZ is hard that way.

Personally, I like Palette two the best.

17. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    Double Post OMG. Seem to be prone to people not being interested.

Anyway, I am having alot of trouble with Shoes. Size, shape, design, I want a new type of shoe. Does anyone have guidlines on what I can do? I have decided to completly re-do the sprite. Taller, Leaner, the like.

[​IMG]

As you can see, The shoes are mere outlines. And the sword in yet. Sorry, It's staying. It's just going to be in the other hand now.

EDIT: For those who are visually impared...

[​IMG]

18. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    [​IMG]

New Shoes! I think these are allright. Hell to do on all the sprites, But I have to do it. Opinions/Comments?

19. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Well, they look "Side-Show Bob" long, but they're pretty good looking.

And nice to see you're going for a resprite, albeit looking like sonic just walked out of the shower.

20. Super

Super

Michigan
    Youtube
    :blink: Ew, Now he's 'Shower Naked' So fix the Quills a little?

And I seem to have come across a problem. In Game, the Top of his head and small part of a quill are taken out and replaced with my old sprite area's. Where can I fix that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.