don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I played the Wii version.

It would be nicer if Sonic DID control like a car, that's for sure... the drifting feels terrible, especially considering you're not controlling a car - it just doesn't feel right.
    Werehog is ugh - beating the shit out of enemies is fun, but the platforming isn't my cup of tea.
    The entire game has annoying controls - especially in the menus. Want to leave the stage? Open the menu, jerk the analog stick a few time so that it'll register the movement, press "A", wait for a long animation that attempting to skip through will make it assume you picked the default choice, which is no, making you waste more time going through it again, and jerk the analog stick a few more times for it to register, and wait for it to load. That's annoying.
    And in actual gameplay? I haven't got too used to the controls here, but to sum it up, it feels like "HOLD UP TO WIN" thus far for the daytime stages, and "WANT TO CLIMB A POLE? BETTER HOLD X OR ELSE SONIC WILL JUMP OFF AT A RANDOM LOCATION" for the night stages.
    In conclusion, I'll need to play the game more to get a better view of it.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Well you've seen almost all there is then.

3. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    It's a good thing I don't listen to people like you.

I ended up, as per someone else's suggestion, bypassing the night levels and just playing the daytime ones. I can't help but wonder how the days in this game are so short... but the nights are so long. It seems that there's only one main daytime level per country - that's not much at all. They were fun, sure, but I'm sure the effort that went into the six night levels could've been better spent making, like, another daytime one per country to balance things out.
    There are a few annoying things, though. What's up with the water around here? In Chun-nan, there was a part where you ran across water, going from small patch of land to small patch of land. But... how the hell does the water go from waist-high to so deep Sonic drowns immediately?
    Then in other zones, where you fall in and the camera shows Sonic falling through... sand? Quicksand or no, Sonic would have to be dense as fuck to fall through that, but the rest of the game clearly establishes that Sonic is rather light.
    Like when he jumps! When Sonic jumps, it's like he's a paper plane being thrown at an air conditioner! He slows right down when you jump! And when he drifts! He moves like every turn is an impossibly sharp one! Except they're not, so if you're not careful he smashes into a wall!
    I'd like to say this again - Sonic would be better if he controlled like a car here. Using the analog stick to control a speeding blur is one hell of a tough task, and it feels a bit too damn sensitive. I suppose I should probably play the game more, but when it feels like Sonic turns too easily AND too slowly, something isn't right.

</rant>

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Sonic Unleashed is like Hydrothunder if Hydrothunder was poorly designed.

5. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    The drift isn't nearly as annoying once you start doing it rite.

It took me months to figure this out ( :specialed: ), but the trick is to press the drift button only AFTER you have stopped boosting and have started to lean to the side. Makes the turning circle so much tighter and turns Mazuri 2 Day into a fun challenge rather than an exercise I controller / wall interaction. :v:

6. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    This is a thread about Sonic Unleashed its Plenty relevant and it matters to anyone who takes issue with the controls such as myself. So to say it doesn't matter is just plain stupid.

7. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    That is my problem. :eng101:

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I felt the same as you when I had the Wii version. I hated it, and thought that the PS360 version would make all of my dreams come true. Sadly, I was disappointed. The 360 version is better in some ways, but much worse in others.

There is certainly less Werehog, that's for damn sure. Unforunately, they make up for the lack of Werehog by adding in HUB worlds you actually have to traverse the annoying environments (you get used to them after a while, but its still unnecessarily tedious) and ask people, who most of the time can't in any way, shape, or form begin to help you, to help you find what you are looking for. Oh, and the Medal hunting, the GODDAMN MEDAL HUNTING.

The Wii version is much tighter than the 360 version. Sure the graphics are better in this version, but the controls get unresponsive when you start trying to do things faster than the game can handle (can't remember if the Wii version is like this as well, haven't played it for a while). Oh, and the Homing Attack is NOT mapped to the same goddamn button as the Air Boost. I'll give this version a couple things though, the water is much more forgiving when you run on it, and you can skip the oh-so-embarrassing-to-watch-cutscenes.

9. corneliab

corneliab

How the can you possibly say that the 360/PS3 hub areas are WORSE? The Wii/PS2 "hubs" are just static images that require talking with townsfolk on every damn continent, thanks to that stupid tablet thing they added in. After the beginning of the game, the 360/PS3 hubs rarely require that you talk to anyone. They largely serve as a place to host optional content and easy-to-find medals. Speaking of that, people really overreact regarding the whole medal deal. Out of the 400 medals in the game, you really only need a total of half of that. And they're everywhere.

Also, I disagree on the Wii/PS2 version feeling "tighter". Sonic's movements and animations are clunky and hardly flow together at all. The homing attack only works when an enemy is on the screen, and the jumping mechanic is extremely stiff. The incremental boost also offers far less control than its 360/PS3 counterpart due to it forcing the player to boost for a set amount of time everytime it's used, in contrast to whenever the player wants to.

It just baffles me how people can act like the Wii/PS2 has any merit at all. It's the low-budget knockoff version. It's a lost cause.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The controls of the Wii version are definitely much tighter. So much so that Sonic controls like a brick.

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, here's the thing. If you're only collecting medals casually, you're in trouble when you get to Adabat in particular. Adabat day required a ton more medals to unlock than the last main day stage did. I'd been collecting medals a decent amount up to that point, but then I had to pretty much stop for hours so I could go back and medal hunt just so I'd be allowed to continue the game.

12. corneliab

corneliab

See, I just don't get that. When I first played through the game, I thought that I was collecting medals rather casually yet I still had enough for Adabat.

13. Same here. Never, at any point, did I run into a situation in which I didn't have enough medals to continue.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It was either 7 or 3 medal s that I needed to collect in order to open the day stage. But other than that, I never had to bother. Still, it would have perhaps been better to limit the use of medals to just the additional acts.

15. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    I enjoyed collecting the medals the first time around, but now that I've beaten it once it's kind of a chore to do over again and again if I just want to casually experience the story.

16. roxahris

roxahris

Doing anything at all
    That's a bad thing?

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    On the topic of the medals, you know what I hated the most about them? I had to spend time hunting for the things, just to unlock a goddamn Werehog level, just so I could get through it and get to the FUN part. Basically, I had to do something I didn't want to do, so I could do something else that I didn't want to do, just to get to do what I wanted to do when I bought the game in the first place. Yes, yes I know its not like this right off the bat, but over time it just becomes one of those things that really brings the game as a whole down. I understand that not everyone had to go through this, but that doesn't keep it from being a legitimate problem.

I still had to find 20 something. That was after I had already scoured the Daytime levels and Hubs for them just to get into Shamar. I simply rushed through the night levels my first time through, so I had to go through and replay those much to my disdain.

I agree with you there, if anything it at least adds more of a challenge outside of the level memorization. And the fact that the boost has greater limitations and a different degree of risk (it ends when it wants, use it wisely) adds to that as well, as opposed to the 360 version's INFINITE BOOSED.

One thing you CANNOT deny though, the Wii Version's Daytime level of Eggmanland is infinitely better than the 360's version.

Kobe.

I regard both versions on fairly equal levels of disappointment. At the moment I can't decide which one I like/dislike more, since as I said, I haven't played the Wii version for quite a while. Don't think I hate the game though, it has, by far, the best 3D Sonic (meaning the character) gameplay since SA2. I just hate all of the stupid bullshit weighing it down (which I assume is why it got poor review scores).

18. Tylinos

Tylinos

I can't really say which is better, since I haven't played the Wii version, but I thought Eggmanland 360 was pretty rad, for the most part. But there were four parts of that extremely long stage that I won't deny were horrible:

- Some of the bottomless pit jumps in the first day section were major trip-ups.

- Sometimes in the rollercoaster course in the second day section, the cart would mess up my jump at the very end and send me to my death.

- The freaking Werehog lava balancing in the second night section.

- That first room in the main path of the last night section. Sure, you could go for the major shortcut off to the side where you wall jump as Sonic before even transforming and bypass that whole room, but if your walljumps are off by a bit, you're locked out and forced to take that bottomless pit room as the Werehog. And it sucks. I'd prefer doing even the lava balancing over that room.

19. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    I can.

It was fucking frustrating no doubt but an epic experiment worth respecting as such. I've never quite played a level like it; it's like a dungeon crawl with Sonic gameplay. Feels like you are actually plunging deeper and deeper into a massive evil lair in real time. They nailed the atmosphere and I have to hand it to them for having the stones to try making a 40-minute long final stage.

Too bad the rest of the game showed no such scale of risk or common sense; it's like they had no clue what to do with what was in front of them except mostly the same crap over and over (Werehog stages especially), until that level.

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Adabat's medal requirement is ridiculous for one reason: it requires the same number of medals that it takes to unlock ALL optional Day Stage levels, whereas the optional Day Stage for Adabat requires two levels less. I can't help but think that someone fucked up and flip-flopped the medal requirements, because even the last Night Stage only requires a medal level of 5...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.