don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well they messed up the number of missions per country in the world map. I'm willing to bet that a lot of the polishing process was rushed over.

2. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Oh good, I thought that mismatch meant I just hadn't looked hard enough.

On the other hand, ffffffffffffffff so much hubworld time wasted :argh:

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It was fixed eventually, but I'm not sure how. It was either by patch or DLC. The Quiz Lady glitch wasn't fixed in a patch, but instead the Chun-Nan DLC (initially at least).

4. corneliab

corneliab

No fucking way in hell. Ever. Wii/PS2 Eggmanland is bland, brief, and unimpressive overall. 360/PS3 Eggmanland is a massive platforming gauntlet that combines almost all of the game's gimmicks into one extremely memorable final level.

Of course it is. There's something seriously wrong when you can't lock on to an enemy that's only a few feet away from you due to something as nonsensical as a viewing window. This becomes all the more grating when you can't even adjust the camera.

Honestly? That's something that you should've got used to within the first hour of getting the ability. I personally find it much more annoying that the light dash is mapped to the same button as the boost on the Wii/PS2.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yes, it was brief, brief enough for me to actually want to replay it. The 360 version was way too long. I will NEVER play that god forsaken level again. The cheap Werehog sections turn the massive gauntlet that it could have been into a boring chore. Those sections made me want to snap the disk in half, and slit my own throat with the one of those halves. ESPECIALLY the balancing areas.

I shouldn't have to get used to the game making me airboost when there clearly is a goddamn targeting reticule on the enemy. Sure, it doesn't always happen, but it fucking happens. I can get used to a design flaw, but that doesn't make it any less of a design flaw (there is not a THING mapped to the A button while in midari). Its the same dumbfuck design flaw, with different moves. Plus, in both versions, the homing attack chains are FAR more numerous than light dash sections.

EDIT: And this children is why I am weary of future Sonic games; what sort of unarguably stupid shit will they do next? I'm not talking about gimmicks, I mean sheer fuck ups/trolling on the developer's part.

6. corneliab

corneliab

Translation: You never bothered to get any better at the stage. If you play half-decently, it wouldn't take you any longer than 10-15 minutes. Also, don't like the balancing parts? Skip them! Look it up.

There's rings all over the track. Now put two and two together.

You know, screw this. It's just the same tired shit from you.

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

Well, to be fair, 10-15 is more the "somewhat skilled" range for that level. Half-decently I'd say would be in the 20-30 minute range.

Also, from the sound of things, he only played through it completely once. Everyone sucks hard at that stage the first time. When I went back to play it for a second time to go record and artbook hunting, I thought it would once again take me forever and be super hard again. It wasn't actually all that bad, since I now knew how the stage was due to playing it once.

So yeah, Zephyr, you should at least give it one more shot. And since the stage is part memorization, keep a Youtube video of the stage open or something. That helped me out once or twice.

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Exactly. That's the effect the level had on me: NEVER AGAIN. Not becasue of the difficulty of it per say, but because of the sheer fucking length coupled with the overabundance of the part of the game that I don't want to play. Honestly, if I ever feel like replaying the level and practicing, I will, but those chances are highly unlikely. Maybe if I was stoned enough.

Let me rephrase that: there are far more homing attack chains over bottomless chasms, that you will fall into and die if you accidentally airboost, than light dashing paths over bottomless chasms, that you will fall into and die if you accidentally airboost.

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

a ten minute level in a sonic game is inexcusable. They start to drag after 4 minutes, let alone 10. Just because something is completable doesn't mean it's designed well.

10. corneliab

corneliab

It was designed to be a punishing last stage that combines most of the game's gameplay elements. I personally think that it excels in this regard and is appropriately massive, given the buildup it's had since it was first mentioned in Sonic Adventure.

If anything's inexcusable, it's the Wii/PS2 version for having 5 consecutive Eggmanland Werehog stages (all of which play the Werehog battle theme and are completely devoid of robots).

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

Welcome to 1994. Sandopolis Zone Act 2 says hello.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Oh, so you're just pissed because you have no sense of timing. Carry on.
    So... remind me why you'd want to do a light-dash instead of a boost?

13. corneliab

corneliab

Since you're not exactly straining your brain to see even the general context of my complaints, let me spell things out in unnecessary detail:

1. Homing attack: You pass a few enemies, stop, and try killing them with the homing attack. They're certainly within an understandable range, but the attack won't register since the reticule (which relies on the viewing window, in contrast to range alone) won't appear. The camera is unadjustable. This is annoying, especially when it comes to projectile-spewing enemies like the turrets in Eggmanland. Timing has nothing to do with anything. (though if you do want to see where timing DOES apply when it comes to the homing attack direct your attention here).

2. Light Dash: As I said, the light dash and the boost are mapped to the same button. The boost-encouraging empty straightaways characteristic of the Wii/PS2 version are strewn with rings. Do you see the problem yet? No? Well, it might just be that efforts to boost are constantly interrupted with inadvertant light dashes. Another annoyance.

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It takes you four minutes to complete SZ2? No wonder you don't notice the difference.

15. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I liked Eggmanland. It had its issues, but it was an awesome final stage.

The Hot Dog Missions, however, we bullshit.

16. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Yep, because there was no seed to. The "general context" of your complaints sounds more like bandwagoning to me.
    ...so, in other words, you're angry because you're doing it wrong and the game won't let you.
    And here I thought spamming the boost button was a bad thing...?

17. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Whether I'm doing it wrong or not, I'd much prefer a missed homing attack to be followed by the puny, easy to control air dash as opposed to making me boost off into a pit.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The air boost in unleashed was such bullshit, even if you TRY to use it correctly most of the time you miss your target :rolleyes:

I just hope that in sonic 4 you can't use the air dash / homing attack to accelerate like in sonic adventure 1 and 2, it becomes a dirty habit and doesn't belong in a 2D sonic game at all.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sounds like you're describing Sonic Heroes, where no matter what you do almost each level is over 5 minutes long, and the later stages are like 10 minutes because they repeat the same areas D: Eggmanland was meant to be a challenge, so it being 15 minutes long isn't too bad. I thought it was a good idea. Now the Wii, while people claim that "BUT ITZ WEARHAWG LVLS R SHURTER." Well yes, this is true. However they do this by splitting up what would be a 30 minute level into 5, 6 minute levels. So fuck that

20. I've played unleashed wii. I never thought those werehog eggmanland levels where gonna stop. I mean, 5 werehog stages after eachother is way to much

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.