don't click here

Sonic Unleashed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Adamis, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer

That is exactly why I worry. Okay, even though I want to play this game, PLEASE SEGA of America: delay it for goodness sake over here. I want this game to be just as good as the Japanese version. PLEASE!

2. Mendinso

Mendinso

I'm Who I Am. Oldbie
    To be honest, I'm not sure. There wasn't anything else that was specified in that message.

Somehow, I'm beginning to get worried about Japan's PS3/360. There's a chance they may just scrap the release all together. Sonic doesn't sell as well in Japan as other territories and there is a chance that Sega may view this to just cancel the release all together. Meaning, the delay is to reconsider the launch of the Japanese release for these versions. I mean, hell. Look what happened with Sonic X. That was years ago and it's animation, but it is a good example. Same with Sonic Rivals...

However, if this is indeed the case where they honestly feel that the game isn't up to par, then we're the ones getting screwed...

3. GIHunter

GIHunter

If it gets delayed for a good reason, then I'm fine with it. If it comes to it, I'll either get the PS2/Wii version (I have both consoles), though I would prefer the PS3 version, or I will play other games I have to compensate for the time. But if they do cancel it's release... :objection:

4. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I was gonna get the Wii version anyway, what with no 360 or PS3, so it doesn't really effect me =P

5. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I'm beginning to think more and more that SEGA might pull a Sonic 1 on us again and Japan might end up getting a more upgraded version than us. I still doubt this would happen, but I really hope it doesn't. Maybe the Japanese 360 isn't up to par with ours yet? I'm hoping that's the case.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

Is there really a hardware difference? By the way, I think I'll be getting a new TV and I was wondering what company/type I should get in terms f wanting to play the game. (LCD vs Plasma.) I heard that LCD TVs have trouble keeping up with fast motion on screen, so I would side with Plasma of course, but...any advice?

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Difference is, if content additions are made, Sega can release update patches for our versions. IIRC, the game DOES advertise Game Content Downloads, does it not?

It's not exactly a GOOD practice to fall back on, patching a game after release, but the option is there.

8. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I heard video games ruin plasma TVs... And well, especially with this one being so colorful and vibrant and all... yeah. Not entirely sure whether it's true, but whatever. Also keep in mind that you have to buy new plasma or whatever every so often. Your best bet would just be a regular flatscreen with HD, I guess. Then again, I'm not much of a tech geek so I wouldn't know.

9. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Considering that you're planning on playing games with it, avoid output lag. Plasma displays seem to usually avoid lag. DLP displays are the worst (I have one, it has great image quality, but lags so badly that audio is out of sync with the video if I'm using a separate speaker system), even though there's no reason for them to lag at all, and almost every display made by Samsung does it. They have a few that don't, but those are 22-inch 16:10 PC monitors using the type of LCD panel that offers the worst image quality (TN LCD panels, that's a type of construction, not a manufacturer). Yeah, I wish the ISO would require companies to test for input lag.

E: from my understanding, Plasma's burn in I mostly fixed, but I'd read up a bit on it.

E2: I've also been thinking about the potential the official Sonic 4, one thing that makes me hopeful about it actually happening is that the guy who said that they would be interested in doing it knew the number of colors the Genesis could display off the top of his head.

10. Shade

Shade

I dunno, I have a 40" 1080p LCD from Samsung (with a "plasma finish") and it's outstanding. Never ran into any noticeable lag, either, so it must have a good refresh rate. I'd recommend LCD simply because it's a very safe bet as far as monitors go, plus you can also use it with VGA cables and whatnot.

Anyway, I'm definitley concerned about them pulling a reverse Sonic Adventure on the US with this game, but I had forgotten that they could always just patch it.

Just like they did with Sonic 06 :objection:

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd go for an LCD monitor as well. They're far less susceptible to burn-in and they really don't have as much lag as Phos said -- at least if you buy a good one that's recent.

LCD monitors have been around for a while so manufacturers have got good at making them responsive and fast. After all, they replaced CRT monitors a while ago and PC gamers certainly haven't complained about that.

The Sony Bravia, for example, we have here in our room. It's a very nice model and if you need to get a TV to go along with a PS3 I guess you may as well make it a Sony.

12. I'd also recommend an LCD. I'm really happy with the two LCDs we have and hate the plasma (that was money well spent). We already have some burn-in on the plasma but it is an older model to be honest ('05). The newer ones aren't supposed to be suspect to burn-in as easily but I haven't really looked into it. Just went with another LCD since I liked the one we got last year. Did a little LCD research and bought a Samsung 52" Series 7 set back in June or something. Very happy with it. Basically Samsung and Sony have the best LCDs on the market right now. Samsung makes the actual panels and Sony uses them in their sets as well but the Sony's have better scaling and shit supposedly. Just went with the Sammy and I'm very happy with it.

13. Phos

Phos

They show us so much of the game, then don't tell us when it's going to be released, they announce an official release in one country the day before announcing a delay in another, but not before shipping off review code to some random web sites, and to top it all off, the game look done as it is.

I also can't belive I forgot about this before, Plasma's emit infrared light, making it incompatible with the Wii.

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

LCD for me then.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    ... yeah, that's why my Wii works just fine hooked up to my 42" plasma? What the hell are you talking about?

And why did this turn in to a "what TV should I buy" thread?

16. Phos

Phos

Oh, my mistake. And this thread goes way off topic between finding out relevant information. And judging by the lack of comments about the Holaska trailer, I'm guess I'm not the only one who's not watching the new trailers.

E: Sonic Unleashed isn't listed on Xbox.com...
    It is listed on Playstation.com, still saying it's going to be released in December.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    There just isn't a whole lot to say that hasn't been said. There was Holoska footage a few weeks ago, and everyone got their opinions out then. Granted, it didn't have werehog footage, but...it's werehog footage. To be honest, as excited as I am about all the platforming, the werehog levels don't look like they contain any kind of level specific gimmicks/features. It's just....fight and platforming. Don't get me wrong, I'm still excited, but there just isn't a whole lot to say about these videos anymore.

We've seen so much of the game at this point, that I'm personally growing tired of it. After all this goddamn footage, you'd think we'd have seen a demo. They've shown us footage from all but one stage from the 360/PS3 version, and like a third (if not a half) of the Wii/PS2 version. I don't recall seeing that much footage for any game before it's release.

BUT, one has to remember that even though we've seen all this footage, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Each trailer is about a minute and some change long, split down the middle to show day and night play. Daytime stages could be anywhere from 3-6 minutes long, and werehog stage could be anywhere between 5-10 due to the slower pace. And if you were to actually explore the stages for these medals and tapes and what not? And that's not all, either.

The game is going to be a lot deeper than it's letting on.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I've yet to see anything substantiated from SoA themselves, but a few places are beginning to say that Unleashed has been delayed on all fronts; the Wii/PS2 version into December and the PS3/360 one into early next year. This is pretty much the same as Japan's, but I've honestly not seen anything concrete to support this. Take it with a mound of salt.

19. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Theory:
    There will be DLC for this game in US and EUR, while Japan will get the game later but with all DLC included in the game.

20. tech3475

tech3475

Why would sega want to loose money by including DLC that people will buy?

Personally in the case of Sonic delays can be a good thing if it makes a better game. Sonic 3's second half was delayed and that allowed them to make a better game (and profits).

I hope though that the 2D "normal" sonic makes up for the warewolf sections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.