don't click here

Sonic: The One Ring

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mercury, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well, I finally finished it today, (with a lot of hints). The ring placement was utter genius in several levels. (SLZ, LZ) In Star Light Zone, the method of getting to the rings was really creative as well. The hack was very fun and challenging to play, and I hope a sequel will be made. Thanks for the enjoyment.

(Also, nice Sonic CD reference in Scrap Brain)

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'm stuck in SLZ1 since yesterday, I know where the ring is, I see it, but I can't collect it. Anyway I don't want hints.

edit: + - oh wow, I got the ring to disappear, as it's not in the   <a href="http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/660/75571199.png" target="_blank"> + - easy to see but impossible to reach   </a><span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'> position anymore... Probably it moved somewhere else, but now I can't find it anymore at all <_<</span>
    Still, no hints please :)

3. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    You and I are kindred spirits

( + - I can't even figure out what I did to make it move. I just kept backtracking to the start and when I came back it wasn't there anymore :(   )

( + - Mercury is an evil, evil person   )

4. nineko

nineko

italy
    Actually I just collected it :D

Let's just say + - my job was only 66% done   .

Still, that doesn't explain why + - the ring randomly disappeared at a certain point   . I'll send a PM to Mercury about this.

5. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Since you actually got it now, I think I may talk about this (from the page):

6. nineko

nineko

italy
    Selbi: no, I don't think it was supposed to happen, as something else happens.

On second thought, I LOVED Star Light Zone :)

7. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Really? Because I'm not really liking it at all.

What do I have to do in SLZ3? + - I clearly see the ring in a closed room, so I'm guessing I have to go and do something completely unrelated. Again.   The only way I've been able to get there so far is by glitching into a wall and then zipping there, but then I shoot right out anyway, so I'm pretty sure that's not how to do it.

By the way, crouching on those half-spikeball platforms makes Sonic take damage. Was this in the original game?

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

I just tested it in SLZ3, within a Japanese Sonic 1 rom. Sonic doesn't take damage.

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Nice idea! It's basically like "Find the Chaos Emerald" with no rings (similar to Sonic 1 MS, but with no rings perhaps?) - ...except it's a ring you're looking for, of course, :p

It reminds me of this pic that I did:
    [​IMG]

10. Nik Jam

Nik Jam

The Man Oldbie
    East Bay, California
    Sonic Mode: Sounds of the Universe (But not really)
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to figure SLZ1 out... + - I think I know what I did to make the ring move, but it's impossible to get back to the ring to track it down, because the route back up is blocked by fans...   Great game though!

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

You can spin dash through the fans if you charge it completely and hold the direction in which you want to go.

12. Liliam

Liliam

Previously Fred Oldbie
    Ring disappearing appears to be a bug. The real solution involves ignoring the ring entirely until you complete another objective (the game lets you know when you've completed it).

Annoying bug in SBZ3: if you lower the sliding platform completely and stay on the top path, then jump up at least a ledge above to the left, point to the right and release a fully charged spindash, you'll launch off, start running when you hit the bottommost floor, then get stuck halfway inside the slope. From here, you can just duck to drop down and skip a bit of the level, or by nudging around and abusing the wall exclusion mechanism you can actually make it to the end of the stage instantaneously.

Of course this doesn't matter if you can't even see the fucking ring. :<

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You can do the same thing in the original, although with different steps. It's done in the current TAS.

14. dsrb

dsrb

Mercury, I added information on the new features to the wiki article (Sonic: The One Ring). Hopefully I described (well, reworded/rearranged) everything accurately. :) And hey, I have access to my USB pad now (and a spoiler about GHZ1), so I ought to give this a proper go!

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Warning; this post contains spoilers. + - BFHGMZBWQDDWCCWDDCBBB  

I managed to get through MZ, SYZ, and LZ without any help whatsoever, and then you turn incredibly evil for SLZ1. I get that + - I have to destroy the odd-coloured orbinauts to move the ring to somewhere that I can collect it   (I'm assuming), and + - I've found two; one at the end of the level, and one on top of a loop near the end of the level   , but I can't seem to find any more. This is going to keep me up for days.

16. nineko

nineko

italy
    Yes, hence my
    :P

17. So how do you save? I got to Marble Zone yesterday then stopped, and when I come back I'm still on GHZ. Am I supposed to Game Over or what?
    Oh, and by the way, this is genius.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It should save your progress automatically after every act... do you have SRAM enabled?

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Thanks! It's very good, I appreciate it. I've written descriptions of it a few times now, and I was getting slightly tired of it, so it's nice that you helped out.

I'll read it through more thoroughly later to be sure everything's accurate. For now the only thing I noticed was you mentioned 7 emeralds - there's only 6 in Sonic 1! :)

20. dsrb

dsrb

You're welcome; I'd have found another way to procrastinate if not, anyway!
    Er . . . Well, whose fault is that? :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.