don't click here

Sonic: The One Ring

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Mercury, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Yeah, Starlight seems like the bottleneck for a lot of players. I'm not sure if I regret it or not...

Please let me know if any of the trouble it's been giving you has been due to glitches or bugs, as of course I'd like to fix them if that were so.

Also, feel free to profane me all you like - it's good for relieving stress. ^_^

2. Well that's it. I finally completed the hack. And my honest opinion about it is that I loved it from start to finish. Best ring for me has to be Scrap Brain Zone Act 2. That was one that I got by near enough sheer luck. But it was so cleverly hidden that I can't help but love it.
    So thanks Mercury for creating the hack. I really enjoyed every single second of it

3. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    You're welcome!

Every second, huh? Even Starlight Zone? ;)

4. CrazyTerabyte

CrazyTerabyte

I downloaded this hack and I've been playing it for the last few weeks in my Nokia S60 mobile phone. It's a very fun hack! Right now, I have one suggestion and one bug:

Suggestion: It took me hell a lot of time to find out what I needed to do in Star Light Zone. It would have been a lot more helpful if + - there was some kind of feedback whenever the player destroyed each one of those key badniks. A simple "1/3" or "2 more left" message   would save me a lot of time and frustration.

Bug: I got to Star Light Zone, Act 3... But, + - even after I destroy all 3 badniks   , the ring room doesn't open. I've uploaded the savestate here: Sonic_The_One_Ring.mds.gz. The savestate is in "PicoDrive" format. Yes, I'm using the rev09 ROM version.

I'm using PicoDrive S60 emulator, by Notaz, Dave et Co. I'd link here the official homepage... but it doesn't have one. Fortunately, it's quite easy to find the binaries for S60 by searching at Google.

5. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    Thank you for pointing this out. I've solved the bug; the OP is edited with the download link to Revision #10.

Sorry it took so long! The cause was really esoteric.

6. CrazyTerabyte

CrazyTerabyte

Nice, gotta download and play it soon (and that means... on the next days or weeks).

As a programmer, I become curious about what caused that bug. What was so esoteric about it?

7. Mercury

Mercury

Location Location
    AeStHete
    The Dynamic Level Events routine for SLZ3 checks to see whether the Ring has been gotten, and if so, it moves to the next routine which handles loading the boss, etc.

The trouble is, Sonic's Ring count isn't cleared when he dies or wins a level, but is cleared at level start after the Dynamic Level Events get the chance to run once or twice.

So if you get the Ring, but then die, or don't enter the Special Stage at the end of SLZ2 and instead go straight to SLZ3, it'll think you've already got the Ring, move to the wrong routine, and everything gets stuck.

I just made it clear Ring count when levels end, rather than when they start, and that fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.