don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog: Overlooked!! (FIRST PUBLIC RELEASE)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    As one would expect—the level layouts themselves are incomplete proof-of-concepts. The main thing to look at here is the level art and the preliminary level layout concepts. The aim should be to judge those two concepts, rather than the overall completion status of the hack. This was stated in the first post; do you mind reading it next time before you comment? It would help avoid any confusion in the future. ;)

Anyway, I'm loving the new level concept! I agree with Sonic Boom's sentiments, though—the level art is currently very pixelated, and it sort of clashes with the rather detailed background you have to accompany the level. I figure if you can draw the shapes to be a bit more precise, they should look fantastic.

Great work! Looking forward to future updates. :)

2. GIHunter

GIHunter

I'll just say this and be done with it: Collision needs work. After finding that the first act ended with a dead end, I said "Fuck it, level select." Then I skipped over to Aquatic ruin, where the collision was screwed up terribly. Then I just dropped it entirely.

3. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I made a release of this hack to show that proof of concept to show that I moved 2player levels from sonic 3 to Sonic 2 and in an attempt to do something that was creative that hasn't been done before. I know the collision needs work and I commented on the fact that it needs improvement when I released the proof of concept. I'll make sure that when the next release is made, that the hack will be mostly completed.

4. Do you have this on Sonic Stuff Research Group?

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

This is why I only release proof of concepts to oldbies and techies.

Also for future reference dudes, when a level designer wants crits on an obviously unfinished level, debug is your friend =]

6. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    it's true, debug's unchanged and you have direct access to level select with a+start simultaneously at any point. For shits and grins, though, I've fixed all the collision errors in DPZ and I'm toying with scrapping the current layout and going for a different approach layout-wise. I'm still working on de-pixelating Crystal Egg.

Thanks for the backup there, Dude =)

Authur: I don't have a thread about this on the SSRG, although I could make one. If you mean the game, I'm taking Dude's suggestion and only allowing selected release to beta testers which will more than likely be oldbies and tech members.

I'd expect a first playable release about March 2010.

7. When you DO come out with the new version, please put it up here or in Sonic Stuff Research Group! Every time I try to download it from filedropper.com, it keeps taking me to their home page! It's seriously annoying the shit out of me! >_<

8. Albatross

Albatross

^Forced Memes Ahoy^ Member
    Spelunking in the proverbial belly of the ASM beast.
    Wow, this is just... incredible. I was just thinking the other day how pathetically short the 2 player levels were and how Chrome Gadget should have been an actual zone. It's not that original, but it looks fantastic.

On a side note, I commend you on the whole scaling business. Seriously, it sounds like hell.

Also, about good ol' R2. Has anyone ever considered that the video at the end of CD may be showing a future or present timezone? My point is that you have consider the full time line of the zone. It may only be ruins in the bad/good future.

9. Wasphammer

Wasphammer

Two thoughts: Could someone please post an alternate mirror? Secondly, what if R2 is technically the transition between Collision Chaos and Tidal Tempest? You say that transitions were only in S3K?

:objection: SBZ2 to LZ4 in Sonic 1, WFZ to DEZ in Sonic 2, amongst others.

10. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I have a suggestion for the name of R2 that may be a bit more fitting (if not going with the name starting with R's), How about Lost Labratory?
    If you don't like that, how about Ruined Research Base?

IMO, both of these sound better than rusty ruin.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What was wrong with Mercury Mines? ;P

12. synchronizer

synchronizer

I think it looks like a rusty ruin, or an abandoned laboratory. It does not really look like a mine in my opinion.
    [​IMG]

13. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You all suck for not seeing the genius behind the name Abandoned Archetype.

I'm just hoping to see more of this in due time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.