Sonic the Hedgehog: Overlooked!! (FIRST PUBLIC RELEASE)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Maybe a few pyramids dotted on the landscape, or ruins?

2. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    I have a couple different ideas for that blank orange bottom half of the bg. EHZ only has two levels of background

[​IMG]

That's my current method.. thought I could texture the sand and make use of ehz's raster effects to make it interesting.. didn't work >.< it's getting nixed =P pyramids or ruins work.. and they'll probably be ruins for various reasons. I should have first pics of CGZ later today ^^

3. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    ...and here's that screen of Chrome Gadget

[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, looks very cool, but Sonic & Tails look like giants with those level tiles...

Have you considered rescaling the levels, or even using the small characters from the competition mode?

5. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    I'm having trouble coming up with a practical way to scale the tiles.. I figure I'd probably have to start from scratch with art design and that's not appealing to me. Is there an easier way to do this? I've had a few questions on going on with this, but I've lost a considerable number of connections during my hiatus the past few years. I've started work on rescaling the loops in ALZ and I found a nifty way around it in DPZ, but I know eventually this is going to come back to haunt me.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  7. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    doubling size might be overdoing it.. I always thought it was about 1.2 to 1.5x original size would be perfect -- I'll try it, though! Thanks, Jim =)

8. To upscale directly from Sonic 3's multiplayer to Sonic 3's single player, you need to scale it by 1.6956521739130434782608695652174. That's using Sonic's size.

If you'd prefer to do it based on the vertical view, upscale it by 2.074074074074074074074074074074 etc.

That gives you .378421900161030595813204508857 of difference.

If you're going for the best in between, you need to upscale it by 1.8848631239935587761674718196455.

And you get:
    [​IMG]

Or you could take the tilesize of the multiplayer backgrounds and figure out the exact upscaling to get to singleplayer tiles, since the player sprite is different ratios between single and multiplayer.

As for your comment in my "hoax" thread, I'm busy as hell these days, but if you IM'd me once in a while, with a specific tile to upscale, I'd be more than likely willing to help out. Just give me a ring at BlackJackTrunks on AIM or [email protected] on Y!M or GTalk or MSN.

I'm pretty easy to get a hold of.

9. Danika

Danika

... Oldbie
    Nothing atm
    This hack is awesome, Ayla, I've always wanted to see a 1P version of the Sonic 3 2P zones (but wheres Balloon Park? =P) and a finished version of the R2 level...

For a name for the R2 level, why not Mystery Mines or Dry Desert (depending on whether you want to make it a mine level or a desert level)? =P

10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    There already are mine and desert levels in the list, though...

This hack rocks, that's no question :thumbsup:

As for scaling, it's probably best to dump the layout from the original 2p zones, scale it up in some image editor, split it up into 128x128 tiles, import into SonED2, and then redraw over the tiles.

11. Danika

Danika

... Oldbie
    Nothing atm
    Ok, since I always thought of R2 to be either ruins, desert, or mines, how about Rusted Ruins Zone or something like that for a ruins level? =P

12. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    R2 being a mine before it was scrapped is rather unlikely - Quartz Quadrant already is one. I guess it was some sandy ruins, judging by the short clip in the ending of the game (Jam/Mega Collection/Gems).

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I assumed it was lava-filled ruins, much like Marble Zone was (and Rusty Ruin -- which had fire traps rather than lava).

14. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Late, maybe, but I have to ask: only Crystal Egg 3? Really? Shame, since I always thought that Crystal Egg 1 & 2 were far, far more unique. Seriously, it's an entire level made of glass, practically. I can't say as I've seen them do anything quite so unique since that.

Well, maybe if I ever figure out how to get started hacking, I might do my own tribute to that level. Maybe.

15. I didn't mention in my previous post, but I think this is an awesome hack, and I really hope it gets finished. I've seen so many good ideas just get abandoned.

16. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    it's not abandoned by any means.. school's just got really busy (have two papers due this week and finished my taxes yesterday!! o_o). I'm hoping to make the first public release the last day of the hacking contest at the latest. What's turning out to be so difficult is doing all this on my own. Getting the art in the game was easy (2p s3 levels are already separated into 128x128 / 16x16 / 8x8 in the game.. which is where scaling problems come into play. The actual ART is scaled down, not the tiles >.<) On top of this I'm having to create new tiles out the ass. I have mostly finished level designs, but actually getting that in game is proving to be time consuming.

Honestly I'd rather have this as a group effort (like a real video game is) than trying to tackle it on my own. If anyone's interested in the idea let me know.

Oh.. and R2 =P

[​IMG]

That's what I always saw as r2

17. Flygon

Flygon

Going by the "quicksands", I would say it is a desert area but being inside a technological area just makes it confusing, to me anyway.

18. Chobbsy

Chobbsy

well prehaps the level could start out in the desert, after desert palace or something, and then move into a more technological area some time during the level, and move onto chrome gadget,

that's just my thoughts on it.

19. MoDule

MoDule

Tech Member
    Procrastinating from writing bug-fix guides
    It doesn't really look like a desert to me. The colors are all wrong (note the complete absence of warm colors like red and yellow. It uses mostly blue and green). Also, consider the thick vegetation. I'd say it's more like the ruins of a factory or hi-tech city. Very old ruins, what with all the collapsing floors.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I always assumed a ruin like Rusty Ruin (hint hint) or Marble Zone.

Note that Sonic CD follows the general exposition of level styles seen in S3D and S1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.