don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

Ngl this makes me even more excited for the alt cover. If they’re bringing Elson back I want him to draw the characters his way.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Important
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    Happy Pride Month y’all, peep that flag.

3. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    historians say they were good friends

but for real tho I love it haha, common IDW...W

4. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Issue #61
    Good arc. Shadow's spent pretty much the entire comic's run failing at everything he does. He accidentally helped Neo-Metal turn into Metal Overlord, got pwned by the Zombots, and failed to catch Dr. Starline. It's nice to see him finally make a comeback.

I read the solicitations for issues #62-64 and seems Silver's going to be getting a spot in the limelight. The whole Mimic possibly infiltrating the Restoration and Silver trying to rat him out reminds of the Archie Comics where Silver was trying to find the traitor in the Freedom Fighters. I think we'll be getting something like that but condensed down to 5 issues.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
  6. Snowbound

Snowbound

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    If the cover costs more... worth it, gimme.

8. Pengi

Pengi

There's no "if" about it. It's been solicited as a 1:25 retailer incentive variant cover. For every 25 standard copies of the comic a retailer orders they can order 1 copy of the Richard Elson variant.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Not gonna lie…far from his best work. Granted, I’m not personally a fan of his art style anyway, but comparing it to the Sonic R piece he did a couple of years ago, I think a lot of the shapes here look odd (like the really pointy shoes and the way the irises are rotated outward at the top) and the contrast of the shading just doesn’t really complement them. Still, glad Elson is valued enough to not only contribute to the event, but to be responsible for the RI cover. I’m sure it’ll be a noteworthy collector’s item for the book.

While we’re posting covers, may as well include the rest:

upload_2023-7-8_6-24-20.jpeg
    upload_2023-7-8_6-24-44.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-7-8_6-28-30.jpeg
    Personally, the second RI cover is my favourite, but I love how Yardley’s is a homage to some classic Greg Martin artwork. I only wish we’d had covers from Tyson Hesse, Aaron Hammerstrom, Patrick Spaziante and Ben Bates, but alas.

Also, does anyone else find it weird that the A and C covers are two dollars more expensive?

10. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
  11. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
  12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yeah, I respect Elson, I think he's talented and appreciate that he's here, but I've never been big on his style. As usual, Nathalie Fourdraine is my OG. She's had a consistently polished cover for, what, every single IDW Sonic comic ever published? I love them all and if the series ever loses her it will be an immediate hit to IDW for me.

13. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Fourdraine’s cover is really interesting to me because it has a portal to what appears to be the Arabian Nights from Secret Rings and it’s got me excited for the possibility of this book allowing for the appearance of places that’d usually be off-limits, especially being visited by characters other than Sonic.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Little round-up of news relating to the book in the last few days, mostly from the SDCC panel:

• Knuckles and Fang are getting a 30th anniversary special next year! No further details at this time.
    • A Halloween special featuring the Chaotix (+Sonic and Tails) solving the case of a sweetie thief will be published this year.
    • Speaking of the Chaotix, solicits for #66 reveal that they'll be backing up Knuckles as he fights to keep the Echidna artifact (returned to him by Amy) from falling into the hands of the Babylon Rogues - this in particular strikes me as the kind of thing we'd see in Sonic Universe back when the license was with Archie (in terms of focusing on ancilliary game characters as well as rekindling the Knuckles' Chaotix grouping), so hopefully this will be a crowd pleaser for fans of the old book.
    • Previews of the Amy 30th Anniversary Special and the 900th Adventure were also shown at the panel, but seem to be without text and there are no native copies circulating anyway, so I won't bother posting links here.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh wow they’re giving Fang an anniversary comic? That’s very unexpected.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Makes sense with his grand return in Superstars. I eagerly await the Chaotix and Bean, Bark & Honey 30th Anniversary Specials. :eng99:

17. MH MD

MH MD

Feels like every year we are getting some character anniversary special
    Not complaining tho

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Makes sense, from 91 to 95 they kept adding characters, so more specials, after 25 there’ll prob be 4 years without em.
    Do the classic Chaotix exist anymore in Segas eyes?

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Word on the street is yes. SonicPict has refernced it (at least twice!) and Bumblekast has said it's back on the table.

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Who knows? They definitely didn't for a time, but now that it sounds like all the games are being counted as a single timeline again going forward, I'd hope that means the classic versions of the Chaotix characters are back on the table for games, comics etc.

Personally, I'd love to see a comic set post-Chaotix showing how Espio, Vector and Charmy formed their detective agency seen in the later games. Espio was already a detective, but it'd be interesting to see how the others got in on the gig, and how they all met back up again. Did Espio track them down to help with a job, or did they just coincidentally happen to bump into each other again?

I'd also want Mighty involved somehow since he was in the original game - and it'd be nice to see Ray too, as although he wasn't in Chaotix he and Mighty are usually depicted as pretty inseparable in post-Mania Plus media so far. Plus Knuckles is already getting a special next year, so it'd be nice to fill his spot with someone who didn't get their own showcase - if Ray and Mighty were having one it would've been this year at some point, after all.