don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Hacking Contest 2010

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Ayla, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    So we might actually have a "Best 3D Trophy" this year, good luck guys, although I'm not well knowledged with 3D game programming, I'm sure it's a somewhat hard yet fun thing to work on, and I hope to see some impressive 3D hacks soon =)

If I were to submit anything myself, I don't know what trohpy I would've gone for, they all seem more or less equal to me in terms of achievement, except the rick roll trophy of course (No offense to Selbi, I know you're going for that one =P).

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    This is the first hacking contest I actually have a chance to enter, IE able to submit something. Do I have to register for the contest ahead of time or can I submit whatever I have at the end of the deadline, with proper categories chosen of course?

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    Yes you can. But you have time to improve your hacks a lot more, so think before you send.

Speaking of time, can you put a link to a timer that counts back till the contest is over in the first post, Ayla? I cant really convert times properly.

4. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Code (Text):
    1. <?php echo intval((1280527200 - time()) / 86400); ?> days left to Hacking Contest Deadline (July 31, 2010).
    Did it with some random countdown creator I found on Google. I'm not sure if you can include PHP scripts in forum posts, so I just give a link.

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Thanks God you can't, that would be a major vulnerability, since you would get access to pretty much everything.

6. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Actually I needed also hours (because I cant convert them really properly) Will it show the hours left when the day comes?

7. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    All hail javascript.

8. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    There is something I don't quite understand here:

This line is sorta useless. Lets say your limit is not to use a specific tool, say soned2. This will also forbid people from editing the layouts in hex, because thats exactly what that program does (so is editing palettes and object layout). Making almost all hacks (except technical) forbidden for the contest.

In other words, having a limit on editors would make this whole contest useless, and having no limit at all on editors makes the line 3 useless, therefore why keep that line in the first place?

(unless you used to limit editors in prior contests)

Also I came to ask, who is going for the new super/hyper trophies?

=P

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I think it's just for clarification. Some people consider using certain tools as 'cheating', and this rule clarifies that this isn't the case with this contest.

10. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Submit whenever you like. There's no harm in taking a chance, imo. I really see no reason to "be careful". This is for fun above all else -- not competition. Although winners do get bragging rights and pretty little icons under their names :v:

Bingo. This line is kind of left over from the first few contests and I keep it in there anyway. In the first contest there was a category for hacks with GUI editors (soned, SLEEP, maze-o-matic at the time) and a category for strictly hex hacks. Everyone uses an editor these days. You'd have to be a ninja to get around it (although Overlooked was done primarily in hex with level design done in soned. Not to brag or anything :rolleyes: ). Occasionally you'll still see hex hacks. I got one last year. I digress, though. Soned, sonmaped, xm2pms or whatever the fuck it's called are editors. I don't consider hex editors, calculators, or a combination of hex and straight assembly the use of an editor.

Does this matter? No. There are no limits on editors!!! ;)

EDIT: Oh, and there will be an official hacking contest website in a few days, layout help courtesy of Dude =) Link in this thread when I'm finished.

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I hate to ask a few questions that may have been asked before, but I don't fully understand the new rules. I've read over them a few times and I'm still unsure of what to make of a few things.

1) Specifying categories.
    With my hack, I don't have the faintest idea what category to put it in for. My hacks in the past have been mostly layout edits with a few other things done for good measure, like hex edits to a few things, or some small assembly work. Also, do you need to specify each and every category you want to try and win in?
    Most of my hacks are also mainly my work, with help on a few small things from others. Does this mean that I have to put it in as a group hack or still as a solo? It's a bit of a grey area to me as to what.

2) What did you change?
    This section puzzles me. For some people, I imagine typing out a list of each everything they have changed will be a tedious chore. Many small things could be done all over the place and I don't usually keep track of everything I have changed.

Also, if I do submit a hack and anything is wrong with the submission form, will the submission be void or will there be notice given that certain things are wrong?
    Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'd rather know where things stand now rather than 2 weeks before the deadline, for example.

12. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    1) I'm seriously considering throwing away the categories and just leaving 3d or not 3d =P I remember this was a hassle last time and is probably why I nixed the idea after the original second contest. Basically, you can list every category you're trying to win in. It can easily stretch across categories =) If you did most of the work (ie, more than 85%), I'd say it was a solo effort. Honestly, unless you deem yourself in a team (such as Sonic Boom or Megamix which are blatantly teams), you're not. I would also consider Retro Remix a team as it's half and half. I dunno. I'm seriously considering nixing the categories and just having 3d or not 3d. Those are the only ones that matter. Sure, teams can do more than a lot of solo people, but who needs to grade one harder than the other? Not sure what I was thinking there. Must have been doing ecstasy twice in one month before posting the new rules =P

2) Just a basic overview of things that are different. You don't need to list every little thing. Like "different sprite art, different level art, different layout".. hell, the description of your hack would probably be enough =P This was mostly included for technical hacks where I need to be looking at a specific area that I might completely miss otherwise. This has happened many times in previous hacks and I kept forgetting to add it to the submission form =P

13. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    It sounds like you might be talking about trophies. There are only three categories: Tech, Special Stage and 3D. If in doubt, list them all!

Good idea. What would happen if I entered Robotnik's Revenge in the Special Stage category, for example? I wouldn't be penalised with some kind of "nega-trophy", I assume! But you'd have to spend a while hunting through the hack and my description for the non-existent special stages. Seems pointless to me.

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Might as well ask something myself before this topic dies again:
    What do you mean by that? Binary file in a zipped archive for example?

Quite confused here, because I basically made my main hack myself, but got like the entire music and many other things from other people (those were however not working in any team of me, they were just friendly and gave me them). Now I'm confused if this still counts as Solo or is already a Group effort, as it's basically much more than 3 people.

Also, is there a limit of different hacks I may enter? Let's say I wanna get 4 trophies and submit a specific hack for each of them, is there a limit?

Thanks for any information. =)

15. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    ...and that'll be the end of the categories =P Just fuck it. I'll edit the main topic and change everything. It was an old idea I had got from the original second contest.

On that note, the hacking contest official website is done!

http://ayla.sonicretro.org/

Check it out for up-to-date information. I'll try and keep it and the topic synched, though.

16. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    Good stuff. I like how you've made the previous entries available along with how they were rated at the time. Playing through some of the stuff from contest 1 makes it really clear how far we've come. Forget my current hack - I'm starting work on a time machine so I can enter a copy of Sonic Boom in the first contest and score 278 out of 10.

17. Ayla

Ayla

West Linn, OR
    Yah.. I would've been blown away. Well.. everyone would have. Back then we would've assumed it was Yuji Naka entering in the contest or some conspiracy like that. Those were great times =)

18. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    Could I suggest more trophies? (they may sound like crap)
    Rings&Chain Trophy - best new partners combination (I.E mighty and ray *runs*)

Tails Trophy - best new AI for the partner. Instead of having a controller input with a split second delay (sonic 2 beta), have a damn good AI that makes the partner do something like kill an enemy when its close or (if tails) fly to sonic when sonic is standing too high.

SA3 Trophy - best new partner special move. I always had an Idea in mind for a sonic doing a peelout and tails holding him on the back while running at supersonic speeds.

I wonder who will win one of my suggested trophies....

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Those trophies seem a bit wasteful for a few good reasons:

Firstly, the differences between the games being hacked, I'll stick with using Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 as an example (As there are multiple games that could be hackable), in Sonic 2, the A.I. is pretty much already done for you, there as with Sonic 1 that's not the case, so if one were to make an almost replica of Sonic 2's A.I. onto Sonic 1, would they win the trophy for the hard labour of producing the A.I. in sonic 1 in the first place? Or if it's about design and setout, making the damn thing should be creditable enough don't you think?

Secondly, I can only see Sonic 2 (Or even S3&K) hack's winning this, I mean c'mon, how many Sonic 1 hacks do you know which support two player A.I.? This wouldn't work well for those working on Sonic 1 and comes accross as a bit unfair.

20. Hanoch

Hanoch

Israel
    everything
    You're right, it is completely unfair for sonic 1 hackers who have no asm skill at all. But what about people who has no taste in music? Wouldn't that make the piano trophy unfair? What about people who cant draw shit, does that mean windy valley trophy is unfair for them? If you've noticed, the only technical hacks that won this trophy were sonicgba, sonic 1 32x sonic boom and blue balls and blocks. That trophy is unfair for newbies who just entered and has no tech knowledge. I assume that reducing the partner trophies would be better:

Rings&Chain - best new partner, period.

Also another trophy I had in mind (not partner related):

Tails Trophy - Most annoying thing in a hack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.