don't click here

Sonic Spinball appreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jayextee, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I can tell that neither Sonic 3 & Knuckles nor Sonic and the Black Knight use GEMS. : P

That aside, Spinball can be a lil' fun, I guess. Not much of a pinball-fan, I ALWAYS loose too early. xD; Music was cool, though.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I was also quite dissapointed with this game when it was released, as I was expecting a real sequel to Sonic 2 and Sonic CD... But after the initial letdown, I actually started to like the differences it had with the main Sonic games.

Some graphics look a bit ugly, and Sonic's lame jumping while on foot sucks pinballs, but it's quite entertaining as a pinball game, and the Special Stages are awesome.

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Which tracks did Howard actually do for Sonic 3? I don't think a single one has actually been confirmed as his. As for Black Knight, they're nice an all, but a bit dark for my tastes, both for Sonic and in general.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I like Sonic Spinball. It's interesting, nicely designed, looks good (though the inclusion of the SatAM characters is a minus point), though I do have a beef with it in that the difficulty curve is seemingly exponential - Toxic Caves is easy, Lava Powerhouse is beatable, I've beaten The Machine exactly once and I've never managed to get more than a small way into the final level.

One aspect of this game that interests me is the unique take on the Spindash - unlike any other Sonic title, I believe, the Spindash here gets more and more powerful the longer you leave the spin held in place - you only have to actually push the rev button once.

tl;dr - a nice game let down by insane difficulty later on. TOO BAAAAAAAAAAAAAD ;P

5. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

They appear for like, 2 seconds in a bonus stage, pfft.

About the topic itself, Spinball was pretty cool. At least the Genesis version, the GG version sucked ass.
    I like the game, but I rarely ever play it for that long, it's frustrating as hell, and I usually die before I make to to the second stage.
    Or maybe I just suck really hard at it.

Also, options screen music = ear rape.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I never said it was a MAJOR minus point. >=P

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Back in the day, 15 years ago or whatever, I got within one hit of killing the final boss, before I fell out of the spaceship and lost all my lives.

For this, Spinball shall always live in a particularly spiteful corner of my brain. I only finally finished the game for real a few months ago, with judicious use of savestates. :/

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Quick question, has anyone else besides me ever beat the game at least once? I beat it 2 times, on my actual hardware, meaning no savestates, or cheating devices. And music wise, the only songs I didn't like at all were the Options Screen, and the boss music. With that said, I also have to say that Spinball was the hardest 16 bit Sonic game, due to it's pinball like game play. But it's fun. ^^

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I've actually managed to beat the game in one go on real hardware. Once. This summer.

Part of the reason for that is I find it hard to not use savestates in an emulator, and I didn't have a physical copy for Genesis until recently. The Smash Pack version always cut out early, so I said "eh, fuck it" and just downloaded a ROM of it.

10. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I beat it once and only once, by stocking up lives in Toxic Caves. Usually when I sit down to play it, I pick one of the levels and play just it (rather than starting from the beginning and going through the whole thing), so I've beaten the levels individually several times on the real hardware, with no other cheats besides level select.

Ironically, the options music and boss music are my favourites - but I guess the harsh FM guitars aren't quite to everyone's tastes, eh? :P

11. I've beaten it on the original Genesis. Took me years and years since I never really cared for the game (Same goes for Sonic 3D Blast.)

Also, the inclusion of the SatAM characters was interesting. Since it was a spin-off game, they were allowed to do that. (The manual even refers to the world as "Mobius".) The only other game to do this in Sonic's history is Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

The music was... Eh. It sounded, literally, like a glorified pinball machine with a soundtrack.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I love sonic spinball for the megadrive, use to rent it as a kid and while I have never beaten the game on legit terms I can sit down and play spinball quite easily for a long period of time. I love the music and style of sonic also. The bonus stages are very awesome too.

13. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Man I kinda liked this, but I never beat it. unfortunatly, got no drive to beat it either lol

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I actually have beaten the game (yes, on real hardware) many times. That final boss is a bitch but it's more how long it takes to beat than how hard it is, really.

15. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Sonic Spinball is one of my favourites for a specific reason, and it's one of the very first I played. I mean, I played Sonic 3D PC first sure, but that was all I had until I found RealArcade. It had Sonic 1, Sonic and Knuckles, and, yes, Sonic Spinball. I picked it, played it, I liked it, however, I never quite got past Toxic Caves. Maybe because I didn't know I could control Sonic. Oh well.

Anyway, when I later came to re-find it somehow, years later, I got a ROM, played it, got to Lava Powerhouse and well, gave up.

Then I got Mega Collection, XBOX. The Machine.

PSP, PicoDrive. Beat the game. Awesome.

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Replaying Spinball right now.

Holy fuck, no matter how old I get The Showdown is still the most fucking difficult level ever. It's especially nerve racking when you set the "ball" speed for fast. :psyduck:

17. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Some of it is annoying, and I don't like neither the SatAM references or the music (or Sonic's western model, yuck). Its still a fair spin-off game though, so I understand people liking it. Pinball games aren't my cup of tea (though insane as it is, I liked the NiGHTS mini-game in SA).

18. I have beaten it on several occasions... I might just want to make a 'lets play' thing of me beating it, because of how hard people think it is...
    It is easy once you forget it is a Sonic game and play it more like a pinball one

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has ever though of doing a rom hack of a 'regular' Sonic game to re-create this one? Then we'd have a version that has "real Sonic gameplay"

19. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Spinball was one of my favorites out of the classic games, seriously. Particularly because it seemed to acknowledge the cartoon in a lot of the levels and bosses.

At the same time, I actually enjoyed the gameplay, despite how frustrating it got toward those last few levels. The bosses were always neat, though I do wish there had been more levels than the default 4.

I also really liked the graphics, which leads me to this point: why haven't I seen one of you rom-monkeys use Spinball's tiles (or a suitable edit of them) in a hack yet? There's a lot of good art there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.