don't click here

Sonic Spinball appreciation thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jayextee, Sep 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Well, there's a lot of negativity in Member's Lounge about how things suck/are not as good as they used to be, and instead of waxing lyrical about how that, too fellates ungulates I decided to praise an Underrated Thing ?.

Sonic Spinball

(Yeah Jay, we can read the topic title. Get on with it, fgt)

What can I say? The game gets a lot of hate, and although the game isn't one of my favourites by far, I love finding positive things about the underdog. Let's go.

Graphics
    Although Sonic is a little ugly, he's seldom seen as anything but a ball (which will do; aside from the fact that when he's spinning VERY FAST, I can make out a blue 'X' shape in the middle of him which is an area of pixels that never change colour. Anyone else fixated/distracted by that? =P) but the rest of the sprites are excellent; real chunky and appealing, they look every bit the part -- especially the badniks -- and are as dark in tone as the cartoon this is partially based on (Sonic SatAM, for those not in the know there).

The real star of the show is the levels, though. Toxic Caves is pretty damned sublime: totally inkeeping with the tone of the cartoon (again), and varied, the only criticism I could possibly level is that it's probably a little too good at being what it is - Sonic games traditionally start with a twee and bright opening level. Bonus points for the changing palette being put to clever use, giving the bottom level the water floor to coincide with the ocean entrance portrayed in the introduction sequence.

Lava Powerhouse (my favourite) wouldn't look out of place in any Sonic game as far as I'm concerned, the designers certainly hit the nail on the head with this one. Detailed yet vibrant and dynamic, this manages to portray the titular powerhouse without looking too dismal. The Machine, reportedly using leftover Cyber ("Genocide") City graphics, wouldn't look out of place in early Sonic with it's sleek, uncluttered design. Showdown is typical last-level stuff, and as far as I'm concerned, the weak link in the chain. But all-in-all, the level art is very strong.

Bonus rounds look like a completely different game altogether, and are very neat indeed. The perspective works better than a lot of attempts on the Megadrive, and the fact that Sonic's reflection in the windows will follow the ball (and his hands operate the flippers) is such classy attention-to-detail, I couldn't help but love it.

Sounds
    Another real strong area. Okay, out with the bad stuff; Sonic's sounds are just shit. Spindash is fucked, rig collection is anally-raped with chili as lube: even the fucking jumping isn't anywhere close to what it should be.

But, I'd argue the rest more than makes up for it generally, impacts have this nice bass-filled chunkiness to them which makes destroying even the most insignificant badnik satisfying; and the various pinball minutiae just sound right - I would argue the bumper sound in Spinball to be far superior to the stock one found in the Sonic trilogy - and there are all the requisite jingles you'd expect from a pinball game.

Music
    This area doesn't let down, either. Admittedly, there are some very nasty FM guitars (options screen and boss themes, as well as Showdown).

Toxic Caves' theme is chunky, funky and downright hummable. From the off we've got the amount of charm one would expect from a Sonic game, even if it is a thouroughly different type of charm. The FM bass used is perfect, and really holds this together. Lava Powerhouse is even better (I recently mentioned it in the "Two tracks..." thread as one of my choices), sounding every bit like both a videogame tune, a cartoon tune and incidental music to an industrial complex -- I totally love when the tune goes all "Popcorn" at around 0:39. Perfect.

The other two BGM are less strong, I feel. Though The Machine's soundtrack is atmospheric enough, it just isn't as catchy as what has came before. All things considered, I guess this pretty much covers the end of a long "second act" (I'm a complete fag for three-act-structure storytelling. Even in videogames) and allows something for the third act to escalate from. Speaking of which, Showdown's background music is pretty intense; even though it has one of those abrasive FM distortion guitars that never sounded good, the discord actually enhances the atmosphere -- as the top of Robotnik's fortress isn't even completed yet by the seems, it would be a little rough around the edges. Still not catchy enough, though.

I must also mention the amazing serendipity that is the title screen music. Apparently knocked up in half an hour after being informed that Sega forgot to clear use of the Sonic the Hedgehog title music, it's actually awesome -- and a lot better than the intended Sonic theme I've heard.

Special mention goes to the highscore/options theme which, FM guitar aside, sounds like the Munsters after a cocaine binge. I like this.

Gameplay
    It's neither Sonic, nor is it pinball. The physics aren't really too good, let's not beat around the bush. Sonic moves like he's wading through vomit, and as a pinball he ricochets wildly off things in a most unbelievable fashion; it's only the best thing that he can be 'steered', then. It's responsive enough, but a little muddy.

But, for what the control lacks, it's wrapped up in a pretty neat package. Levels are expansive, but with memorable enough layouts (owing to a certain amount of symmetry, one would add. Usually a bad thing, but it works here), and there are enough objectives to keep a play very busy. But, get this; in the spirit of the early Sonic games, there's an amazing amount of non-linearity here - emeralds can (with few exceptions) be collected in whichever order one pleases, removing at least a little of the tedium playing such large levels can sometimes bring.

On the subject of the size of levels, it's about right. Although I personally would have included an extra first level; possibly containing only one emerald, and in the "green and happy" cliche the series is so proud of (Knothole, then? :D); they're about right. The tasks within the levels are great, too -- aside from Showdown's, which are way too repetetive by far, a stupid excess of blocks guarding switches that grant access to higher parts of the level. And don't even get me started on the insane amount of work required to even hit Robotnik himself. I know last levels have got to escalate somehow, but come on! This is silly.

Bonus games are, AGAIN, the shining star. The pinball physics are much better than the main game, and the tasks required of the player simple enough to understand, but not a cakewalk to complete. It's totally worth completing a level just to get the next one; and, as bonus rounds, failure isn't fatal. These are just 100% pleasant. <3

Overall
    I like it. Not a lot, but I like it nonetheless. In my eyes, this set a precedent which a lot of Sonic spinoffs have followed, being an interesting diversion on it's own merits, but nothing to challenge the main series (hands up, who's loved an iteration of Mario Kart more than the actual Mario games on a format? I'm calling a non-zero figure there =P). It's good. Just not amazingly so.

And most definitely not bad enough to deserve a lot of the bashing I see it get. So, who else likes (and not hates) this game? :)

2. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I love spinball, and god, I love toxic cave's music. =P

3. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    I agree with all the points made, I find Spinball to be an addictive little game that can be quite challenging.

Oh, and who can forget, it's the only game that has been released that has the SatAM cast in it. :v:

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Although I don't necessarily like the SatAM references in the game, I agree with everything listed. Spinball was made of awesomesauce, ultimate addiction and hedgehogs. =3

5. Don't understand the hate, maybe people expect all Sonic games to be identical. I like it whenever Sonic games branch out a bit and try out new things, so long as he doesn't go like Mario and do 1 main game for every 15 side and sports games.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You mention that Machine is based on Cyber City but not that Toxic Caves is based on Hidden Palace (S2)?

I AM DISSAPOINT.

Other than that agree with pretty much everything, especially the fact that Showdown is a very indistinct stage. Also, prefer stuff like this to Mario Kart because when the hell has Mario ever ridden in a kart in the main series titles? This is just a whole game designed around a well-received element of Sonic gameplay.

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I love Sonic Spinball! I know it's different, but change can be good sometimes.

8. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Even though I'm aware of this, it doesn't seem to have the same sort of "makes sense when you think about it" quality.

Nonetheless, the re-used graphics do give this game a certain kind of coolness that something such as Mean Bean Machine (much as I love it) can't claim.

9. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I love that music too, especially on the Sega Tunes Virtual Sonic CD.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I'd like this game except for how massively unintuitive it is.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Elaborate on 'unintuitive'.

As I can see, trying to hit the wrong target/access the wrong area gives a hint in the "LED" display at the top as to how to progress, and aside from Left/Right/Idiot Button (both flippers) in the pinball, Sonic's buttons do what they always did. Do the layouts confuse you?

I'm not trying to say "like this game like we do, motherfucker!", but I generally dislike blanket statements like this which sound like they actually mean nothing.

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    This is the Internet. Everybody must hate everything or otherwise they're fanboys :v:

Toxic Caves is based in Hidden Palace the same way Ice Cap and Lava Reef in S3K are: they share some elements (mainly the rock structure), but they definitely aren't based off each other.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The game starts off telling you to hit all the targets, but gives no indication what those are. What's worse, the "target down" message is probably going to pop up when you're killing worms, giving the impression that those are the targets. After you've spent a few minutes killing those, you'll probably randomly hit the other target, draining the slime (You will have maybe figured out what the targts actually are), and hurrah, you drained the slime. Now you have to hit another pair of targets to open the sewers to get to the next area. You do some stuff and then it tells you to go for the cart. It's like this the whole game, and the LED messages tend to be more confusing than helpful.

It also has the same problem as a lot of modern pinball tables: All the openings are too damn small. You have basically zero precision with a paddle, and the effect of "tilting" has was so small I didn't even think it did anything for a while. It also bugs me that Sonic can't jump while he's in a ball.

You know, I'd also like to bring up the music. I've been told that Howard Drossin is an excellent composer, but I can't tell for myself because all the games that he's confirmed to have his music in use GEMS, and when I'm listening to something made with GEMS, I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to GEMS because everything made with GEMS sounds like every other thing made with GEMS. I'm not kidding, it feels like I'm listening to some kind of interfearence pattern. Also, this game having sound effects in common with both Comix Zone AND Cyborg Justice is amazingly distracting.

14. Actually, you don't need to hit two other switches to open the sewer doors to the next two tables at the start; they open automatically when you drain the slime. I was confused by that, too: the "safety lids open" message is for the two savers on the outlanes (and in fact appears on the other two boards in Toxic Caves).

Proves your point, actually.

I've actually been playing Spinball recently. I sort of like its Western-style charm. Sure, this means its rough around the edges and difficult (not to mention "dark" and "xtreme"), but I consider it to be one of the better spinoffs. I recall playing the 8-bit version on SADX for many hours, despite not getting too far past Toxic Caves. The music's also pretty awesome, though, yes, some of the overdriven guitars are sort of irritating. I really like the Boss music.

15. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I love Sonic Spinball, I think it is severely under appreciated. Definitely one of my favorite Sonic games of all time, it's pretty short but very enjoyable for what it's worth. The last level is definitely one of the toughest moments in a Sonic game period, that level eats your lives like candy.

I played the Game Gear version once, I wasn't very fond of it.

16. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    I like the game, but it's probably because it was one of the first games I ever played on the Genesis.

17. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    I always enjoyed Sonic Spinball.

The music (I especially enjoyed the boss and options music) and style were always nice and the gameplay was fun. The only part that got a little irritating was the last level. :/

Anyway, SMELL MY SOCKS.

18. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I remember being extremely disappointed with Sonic Spinball when I first played it when I was about 6 or 7. It wasn't so much that the game itself was bad - I just wanted real Sonic, and a 4-level pinball game felt like a major let-down.

HOWEVER - I have since come to look at it from the other side. Instead of being the weakest Sonic game on the Genesis, rather it is the strongest pinball game on any system. Seriously. I never play any other pinball games, I can't abide them. But I love Spinball, mostly because you can steer the "ball".

When I stopped considering it to be a missed opportunity for a real Sonic game, I came to appreciate pretty much every element. Sonic's sprites are full of cartoonish attitude, with many context sensitive animations, which is actually something the other Genesis games should have taken a hint from.

Overall, I am extremely fond of Spinball, and defend it whenever the haters start to grouse.

19. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Oh yesssss. I found it a little hard to believe they threw that jingle in there so quickly. It worked so well for the game, and it was catchy.

20. Wasphammer

Wasphammer

My issue with Spinball is that the onfoot sections are a tad too stop & go. That and the music sucks. It seriously sucks and the farthest I ever got was Lava Powerhouse. It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually dig the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.