don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Downloaded this earlier and played a bit of CD, unfortunately they don’t seem to have touched anything to do with the game’s sound because the audio mixing is still absolute piss.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No, but the gamebanana page suggest mods that do address those issues. This is a bug/feature patch, not a sound patch. It actually fixes a ton an adds a lot of QoL improvements like the following:

• Amy and Tails get super messages now
    • Spin dash ledge drop retention is added
    • Drop dash is like manias now across all games
    • Cool bonus is gone in S3K
    • CDs new menu is better implemented, no longer branching off to the og 2011 menu
    • New cutscenes in S3K; Amy had CNZ and MHZ entrances and Knuckles has the correct exit in 3K SOZ
    • Amy’s supplementary sprites like sign posts were adjusted to fit their games better
    • The level select menus were overhauled. Sonic 1 now has 2’s settings menu and both have character selects that work like 3Ks. Tails can now partner with anyone in 1 and 2, previously Knuckles was unable to have Tails as a partner in 1 save for through glitches
    • New path added for Tails in LBZ Act 1 to compensate for the path that he can’t access anymore
    And much more! Over 360 fixes that’s a lot

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Dark Sonic Okay but one of those is a 14GB mod bloated with like twelve different versions of each soundtrack and SiivaGunner joke music that has no business being included there. I’ve been playing with the other recommended mods installed and it doesn’t do shit for the audio balance in my experience.

• List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    *shrug unfortunately not much else that I can suggest. That’s like, the music mod. They do split it up further from there and go by game, and you can possibly download soundtracks on a case by case basis from there, or download the full pack and just delete what you don’t want to keep.

5. Watching these two speedrun.com videos helped me appreciate the unique properties of Amy’s Hammer Rush that set it apart from Sonic’s Drop Dash:

In addition to having instant turning, Amy’s Hammer Rush always moves at the same speed (her default running speed) no matter what. She doesn’t get faster (even if she’s going downhill or using a Shoe Item Box), but she also doesn’t slowdown (even if she’s going uphill or underwater).

Sonic’s Drop Dash does not go very far uphill, as shown in this video:

Lore-wise, as a reflection of the characters’ personalities, this playstyle difference reminds me of how Sonic has often been characterized as having a weakness to water (in-game manuals, Sonic X and Boom, him wearing a life vest in the Olympic Games despite nobody else wearing one) and being an adventurous wanderer who runs on his instincts - thus, Sonic’s Drop Dash is affected by water and the shape of his terrain (he’s a vagabond who goes wherever the wind takes him).

In contrast, Amy has often been characterized as consistently persevering and pushing herself despite being unable to keep up with the others (her devotion to protecting the SA1 Flicky from Zero, making a motivational heartfelt speech to Shadow shortly after contemplating that there’s not as much for her to do compared to the others, the IDW comics that focus on Classic Amy) - therefore, Amy’s Hammer Rush is a specific conscientious decision that turns with precision and will not slow down no matter what daunting elements may try to get in the way (Amy cannot go as fast as her friends, but she will NOT slow down).

Those are my two cents on how Sonic’s Drop Dash and Amy’s Origins Hammer Rush are a reflection of their character!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  6. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Very nice insight, there. :) Yeah I really find her a blast to play as in Origins. She made all four games refreshing to play again, especially 3K which is especially suited to her abilities somehow.

7. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

I'd love that, but that there's explicitly no longer the one depot on SteamDB that told us there were files still being edited behind the scenes concerns me. Not sure that kinda thing 100% rules out the possibility, but IDK.

At the very least it'd be nice to see them fix some last few especially egregious bugs if this really is where we're leaving Sonic Origins Plus and its legacy going forward. Stuff like the S3&K invisible cool bonus, Disable Super Theme/Super Peel-Out cheats not 100% working, the No & Knuckles Branding cheat crashing the game and the Blue Spheres Amy glitch that briefly lets you play with weird character options, which can also crash the game. If anything I actually hope they wouldn't fix specifically Knuckles being able to glide out of a roll in SCD or Knuckles w/ Tails being possible in S1, but still having a few of the cheats legitimately not function as intended and Blue Sphere putting an asterisk in a hypothetical chart for which characters are playable in which game... Maybe it's just me, but those aspects still being part of Origins *forever* really isn't a great look, especially after all the ups and downs of this journey.

I also remember the other thread mentioning potentially getting Jun Senoue a link to later prototype non-MJ tracks in hopes they could be patched into Origins. If they were just shy of making that a reality that'd be a shame, but I do wonder if maybe it was a bit of a long shot in the first place as Sega might just be hesitant to put unverified fan recordings into their official product just like that (though an entire crystal clear S3&K soundtrack would've been nice), or perhaps would've already acknowledged those versions by now if they had the interest. Could also undercut the lie- I mean, advertisement of Jun Senoue totally doing new remixes of those tracks specifically for this collection, in the higher ups' eyes at least.

Ultra Fix does certainly help, it's even been fixing some of S3&K's problems without a proper script decompilation (restored inaccessible paths in Launch Base Zone, restored missing sprites, invisible cool bonus removed), it's so cool. I just wish Sega/Sonic Team could acknowledge a few more bugs people have already fixed in the code before they did so the game could be as strong as it could be on an official level without a mod prerequisite.

9. Agreed.

Also, I just noticed that when Amy hammer jumps onto the Sonic 1 Badnik known as Spikes (whose top half is covered in spikes), she does NOT get hurt. However, Hammer Jumping on a spikey Pointdexter Badnik in Sonic 3 actually WILL hurt her (and furthermore, it’s when the hammer touches it, not Amy herself). I wish Amy’s hammer jump properties were patched to be more consistent between games.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    • List
  10. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hm, $7 for the expansion content. Maybe if I didn't have the old PC port of SADX from the mid-2000s

12. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    In Origins version of 3K I managed to reach the Sonic & Tails route in Angel Island with Knuckles (see the below video) which he normally can't reach without using debug-mode. So Knux can access all of Sonic & Tails route in act2 including the two special stage rings.

I've managed to do it like half a dozen times. When jumping off the wall; jump as high as you can, then at the top of your jump press and hold left and up at the same time in order to land on top of the spikes.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I’ve been doing this. I guess I just kept it to myself because I thought everyone else did lol

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    It's essentially a sequence break with no real reason to patch, as 99% of players will never do it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Implying there'd be any further patches w/ there no longer being a SteamDB non-public depot for the game anyway I mean, never say never, it'd be cool for them to at least fix the cheat code glitches of S3&K even UltraFix doesn't currently cover with the current state of S3&K Origins hacking. That and the Blue Spheres Amy glitchery include some of the only remaining big game crashing bugs I know of.

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This is actually possible in vanilla S3&K as well, though I've only ever seen it done with Hyper Knuckles.

According to Orkal, regular Knuckles doesn't have enough speed (but Super Knuckles should suffice).

18. I think the big thing here is that you no longer need to go through most of the Knux Act 2 layout first before returning to Sonic’s Act 2 to get Big Rings.