don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Who composed the music for this commercial? If it was Jun Senoue, we need to stop harassing him for the beta tracks. It sounds a bit like a self-parody... but an awesome one.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    No one has ever doubted his ability to shred or compose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Oh hey, I know someone was asking about it before, but the spike crushers in Marble Garden no longer kill Sonic when he pushes against them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  5. ELS

ELS

You completely missed my point. Not only did I never advocate for postponment I'm saying that good will would be worth the money invested. My criticism is at the investors and execs. If you think in the long term, imagine every Sonic source on social media and youtube could safely say "Sonic Origins" with no caveats, no asterisks, no issues, no alternatives that safely "beat" it, etc. They'd make back the drop in the bucket they spent getting it there and then some. Because Sonic Origins is coming out at a time where backwards compatibility is a forgone conclusion, x86 will be what console and PC use for the foreseeable future, people have simply invested too much into these ecosystems (10 years PS/Xbox) to have it suddenly be jolted from them without a very good reason (and there isn't one) translation: they likely won't get away with another re-release for some time so perfecting the existing release by my estimation would be worth it since it'll exist on all major platforms as the way to play these games for the foreseeable future. They're short-sighted when it comes to profit. They want money now, long-term health be damned, classic investor. They may not even be wrong, gamers have become very stupid and very gluttonous and will buy anything so maybe I'm in the wrong and optimistic.

But let's ignore that, say the cost analysis doesn't come up in their favor. Goodwill goes a long way, showing that you care about the hardcore fans by paying a few people to make every pixel just right like a fan will be felt, will strengthen brand loyalty and that should be worth it. They could even call it ++, include genesis and master system roms and it would kill for them. I doubt Headcanon costs a lot especially to earn goodwill for one of their top 3 franchises.

But let's say I'm wrong about everything. Literally everything. I believe customers should always demand more of major corporations, maybe it's not realistic and Sonic Origins makes the most it can hope to make as-is why not demand more? If I demand more and you demand more and we all demand more we have much better odds of getting good stuff out of companies then if we don't. It's not like Sonic Origins is a gift, it's a video game I paid $44.99+tax to play. How about we treat it like one?

6. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Kinda sad to think the advert has an old-school TV aesthetic when the actual game (unlike the CRT filters of Mania) does not...

7. I’ve never heard of someone being happy with a retro-style game’s or rerelease’s CRT filters in my life. Can you or someone else give an example of a game that does it well? I never play with them on.

8. Mookey

Mookey

What about Mania's filters? I mean there's always going to be someone dissatisfied with video filters but I thought most people were fine with Mania's options.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  9. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Yeah, Mania's shaders are generally held in high regard, hence why they've been ported to other platforms such as ReShade and RetroArch. I use the former to apply the Sharp CRT filter (aka Yeetron) to the decomps. It's definitely a step above "slap some random dark horizontal lines on the screen and call it a day."

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    This is so edgy 90s SOA SEGA marketing, it's painfully stabbing me.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I honestly expected more dislikes on that video

13. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Windjammers better

14. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    • List
  15. I guess those are pretty good from what I remember. Like I said, I’m no connoisseur so I don’t know what to really look for. I just always see people like Joe from GameSack complain about nearly every implementation of them I see.

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sonic Origins is good but it would be better if instead of Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3, and Knuckles it had Tennis, Baseball, Bowling, Golfing, and Boxing and instead of Sonic you played as a funny customizable avatar called a Mii

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

So this has nothing to do with Plus and as such has actually been the case this whole time; but I noticed the other day that the Animated scenes all have this, like, drop shadow effect to look like they were actually drawn on physical celluloid sheets. I thought it was a compression artifact at first but it’s consistently in the same direction
    [​IMG]

I could tell from the get-go they were meant to look very 90’s OVA-y like CD’s opening but that’s kind of a wild touch that I’ve even mentioned wanting to see modern animation trying to look vintage do.

(I’m also not 100% sure but I think they might all be animated 4:3 safe so they could theoretically be letterboxed over and keep their intended framing intact to complete the look)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  18. If you use the Level Select codes of Sonic 1, 2, or 3 to play as Amy in Classic Mode, she won’t have her Hammer Run (which is a parallel to how Sonic cannot do Drop Dash in Classic Mode either).

19. I have to say, S ranking the Ex Missions is harder than I remember. That Knuckles one in Marble Zone where you need to glide through the enemies is pretty tricky.