Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I shake my fist at the lack of a steam update.

Check the upper area at the start of Metallic Madness 1 if you can. Knuckles supposedly has a new starting point and there could be a new route up there, but it's hard to tell.

So far, that's confirmed changes in CC1, 2, TT2, WW2 and MM1 at minimum. It's nice that they're part of the standard 2.0 batch and not a paid feature. There's probably a few more we haven't spotted yet, but they can't be that big. I guess check areas of the original map that just had large repeating empty walls as well as large empty spaces.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I am sad and depressed with this collection, what could and should have been....

S1 special stage physics are still god awful in this, it's honestly a shock that i'd suggest the sega ages switch release over origins.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
  4. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Edit: Did a full playthrough of CD (2.0 Origins patch). Apologies for my occasional crappy commentary:

New routes:
    CC Act1: 11:35
    TT Act1: 24:08
    TT Act2: 27:05 (probably my favourite new route)
    WW Act2: 53:25
    MM Act1: 1:03:48 - this area is Knuckles starting point in this act in Origins Plus
    Didn't find any new routes in PP, QQ or SS.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Nicely done. That new route in TT2 is probably one of the more elaborate ones (if not the most). I don't see a lot of room left for others, but I suppose we could still be surprised.

I think Metallic Madness 2 really needs a good thorough search across the 3 main time periods (since good and bad future are usually identical layouts, just with enemy and visual changes) to be sure.

6. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Those new routes look quite solid. Looks like Sonic CD level design intended for Knuckles... which sounds boring, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. Good work there.

7. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The whole damn game is designed for knuckles. It just took them 20 years to admit it.

8. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Quite honestly, I feel like Knuckles in CD is essentially a 2D equivalent of the Treasure hunting stages from the Adventure Games. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the concept was inspired by CD in the first place.

9. SEGA Asia posted a release-trailer of the game:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    SEGA's really leaning on the "s" in "New playable characters", huh? :v

Yes, I will forever be bitter about Knuckles, as I'm sure many others will be.

11. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just did a playthrough of 3K and it soft-locked after beating Knuckles in Hidden Palace...

We can now jump off the opposite side of the vertical cylinders in Marble Garden which means we can access the high-up special stage ring at the start of act2.

Carnival Night act1 mini boss has been reduced back to 4 hits instead of 6.

Some things haven't been fixed such as the rocks still falling too quickly in MG act1 mini boss.

Overall some good fixes but more is needed.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  12. Xilla

Xilla

They've fixed that silly layering issue at the end of Launch Base at least......which is nice because now we don't have Robotnik shrinking :V

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The update has restored Knuckles' green title card from Knuckles in Sonic 2. This wasn't in the 2013 remake.

upload_2023-6-22_18-50-53.png

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    But the music continuing well into the cutscene? What?

Also in another clip I saw they still didn't fix the looping sound effect issue :|

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Anyone played through the games enough to know if they brought back the post-game level select menus?

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I mean I get that the original was like that but I dunno how I feel about this one

17. It made me release how good the visual design for title card in Sonic 2 was, it is basically Knuckles' shoes color scheme, I love little details like these.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I get the idea but I'm pretty sure the super sonic ring drain doesn't get transferred along with the power-up state when hitting one of those monitors. I'm not gonna spend my time trying to tell people how to enjoy their glitched modes but it's unbalanced in a number of ways that strikes me as un-fun unless you're intentionally doing a jokey-unfair kind of play.

19. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Can anyone confirm if the atrocious loop points for CD's US soundtrack have been touched at all?

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    No sound chances in the collection have been made at all since vanilla. Anyone who wants to fix it will have to mod the PC version, sadly. Nor visual filter fixes. Nor updates to the character menu or save options for S1, 2 and CD.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List