don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. I think both 2D Classic and Modern Sonic games can coexist (I just wants it to be good).

2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I may be unusual in liking the Classic and Modern brand distinguishing. I think it's important to distinguish Classic Sonic from the Modern games, since the classic games are so different in design and aesthetic. Making different series have different identities is not really that unusual. Mega Man did it, for example.

The problem is SEGA didn't do it correctly. They successfully made the Classic Sonic brand but then continued to put Classic Sonic in Modern games which defeated the whole point. They also made the Classic Sonic brand very successful with Mania and then just kind of left it.

What they should have done was let Classic Sonic be its own thing with Mania and keep evolving it. Then evolving Modern Sonic as a different entity alongside it.

If Frontiers came out instead of Forces I can guarantee that no one would have had a problem with Classic and Modern as different identities.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    Yeah Forces really fucked things up by just straight up making them two separate characters when Generations literally already established that Classic was just a younger Sonic lol. The fact that Mania legitimized the retcon kinda makes a part of me hate it a bit. I don't get why it couldn't have just taken place between 3&K and SA1. Oh wait no because of the split we all now have to pretend SA1 didn't clearly take place after 3&K.

4. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I like to imagine Mania was Classic Sonic returning from Generations and branching off into an alternate timeline. And then at the end the Phantom Ruby sucks him right into Encore Mode instead of Forces. :eng99:

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    At least the retcon is now de-retconned, and Classic Sonic is the past again with no split timeline nor alternative dimension or anything like it.
    (which doesn't explain Sonic and Eggman not knowing the Phantom Ruby in Forces, but...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    amnesia

7. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    So is Sonic Triple Trouble happening in the same canon as Sonic 3 & Knuckles also explained with "amnesia"?

8. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    yeah probably, heroes and shadow existing in the same timeline is equally nonsensical. Characters just not being in character and basically just reiterating a similar arc but slightly different. Same issue S3k and triple trouble have. I don't see why they wouldn't use the same amnesia excuse.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe in triple trouble knuckles was just realllllyyyy gullible and got tricked a 2nd time because he wanted to give Eggman a second chance. Maybe Eggman pulled a Wily with him.

Or the 16 bit fan game is canon and Knuckles was Metal Sonic lol

10. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

So he goes through the same adventure twice in a row? No Mania Adventures to speak of, either?

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    IMO I didn't think of it "legitimizing" Forces...tbh I think of Forces just stealing from Mania. Mania's structure only works with the Phantom Ruby teleporting the players to different levels. Force's plot wouldn't change all that much if the Phantom Ruby was literally anything else.

well think of the Encore Levels as fucked-up dimensional mirrors of their original counterparts and it makes some sense. Even heightens the stakes a little bit if you choose to interpret it as the Ruby's mucking around with things becoming more unstable with use and/or is actively beginning to warp the places it teleports you to

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Maybe Mania Adventures is another branch since that Sonic clearly is returning from Forces, what with the waving and all. :V

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member

I don't see the issue in Knuckles being tricked again in Triple Trouble. I mean, that also happened in SA1 and SAdv2.

14. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

It would have been cool if it turned out to be a Mecha Knuckles like the one in Advance that was disguised as Sonic 3 cutscene Knuckles with the fighting gloves.

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    A month now until release. Hopefully they'll show-off some gameplay footage of Amy and Knuckles in CD soon. Perhaps SEGA will do another Sonic Central.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah at this point they have to crank up the promotion for this.. staying silent won’t help sales either.

Based on last year, a Sonic Central can be announced at any time in the next 2 weeks and they’ll likely announce it the day before it’s scheduled to take place.

I just want to see how much was improved for each game as well as more Amy gameplay

Last edited: May 23, 2023
  17. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m hoping for a Sonic Central as well. I was fine with Sega keeping Origins Plus on the down low so Headcanon would have time to polish without pressure… but now we’re a month away from release. They gotta advertise it more to get folks interested

18. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1664346136591872001?t=doL58V3-arJPLlA51hr0mQ&s=19

The reaffirmation of lives being a thing in Classic Mode here suggests to me that they're still not allowing lives to be usable in Anniversary Mode, yet another annoying change but one technically in Sonic Team's ballpark and thus not addressed with Headcannon's additions to the whole collection. And I just posted an update to my Origins Plus improvements checklist too, less than 24 hours ago!

https://twitter.com/TomGyroid/status/1664135098407477251?t=gdXWpB6gmhP96_HtOl4Nqw&s=19

EDIT: And now Knuckles in SCD footage, also showcasing the character select with Amy:

https://www.youtube.com/live/2-PbCI82yuw?feature=share

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Snowbound

Snowbound

The new footage starts around 41 mins in this week’s sonic stream. The footage they showed off had awful lag. I’m going to chalk it up to stream issues as they seemed really unprepared (tho tbf I only skimmed through the video)

If anyone watched the full stream, did they make any comments signifying that there would or wouldn’t be a sonic central in the near future. They mentioned that Amy would be shown off in a future stream, but that could just be a regular Sonic stream not a Sonic central. Were their any other comments?

20. AdmiralJuicy

AdmiralJuicy

No, they just said that they would show Amy at a later date. It could be a social media post, stream, Sonic Central, trailer... who knows.

And yes the game was running really slow and had missing spin attack sound effects when entering S-tubes (although I understand this is also an issue in the original)