don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    IMO sonic origins should be just sonic but perfect it, I don't really care for ristar to return or vectorman as a bonus I just want to see sonic 1-2-3k done to it's best ability, and emulator versions for the classic mode would be great if they do add an emulator, I just can't see how they will do that with the sonic 3 issues.

2. Vertette

Vertette

Just have the emulator itself play different songs in place of the MJ ones. Probably not that hard to do without even touching the ROM.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Not that I'm expecting an emulator, but replacing the S3 music wouldn't even be that difficult. SEGA (The Creative Assembly) produced Sonic Classic Collection for the DS years ago. Whilst it has the Mega Drive music from the original S3K release in tact, the music the collection isn't emulated. It's played from separate files. This results in a few quirks, like the S3K voice samples being much clearer than we're used to and the invincibility music changing pitch when it's sped up (which could hypothetically be fixed).

So really they'd just have to employ the same technique here for any contentious music. Emulate the games, but manage the music separately.

Or they could modify the ROM, but we all know that's out of the question.

4. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Just throwing it out there, but I’m sure M2 (or Stealth) can find a way to hack the original Sonic 3 ROM to replace the infringing music (specifically with the 11/3 proto cues to make it more Genesis accurate)

That is of course assuming that either party is involved and if there will even be more games added via emulation

EDIT: Ninja’d (sort of :V)

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I mean that's kind of what the game does already, and one of the reasons why music replacement mods are more common than the others

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I can't believe we have gone back to talking about the Sonic 3 music again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  7. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Tomorrow...

We bring back the Green Eyes debates!

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I mean, at least we're talking about the technical side of it for a change, I guess?

But nah, I agree it's a tired discussion and probably entirely moot at this point too. With the existence of Origins, SEGA have easily portable and modernised versions of all the major Classic games. Future releases of any of the included games could just include the Origins versions. They could always do emulated versions of S1 and S2 for specific collections like NSO or the obligatory collections of several Mega Drive games. But any time these games get released independently in the future, I think we'll see the Origins versions. But they went so long without releasing S3K for obvious reasons and developed a legally clean version for Origins, why would they bother going to the effort of making modified emulations in the future?

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Why don't we take Classic Sonic, and give him green eyes!
    [​IMG]

MWAHAHAHAHAA!
    (I jest)

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    That... doesn't look that bad actually.

Sonic 3 green eyes anyone? ;)

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That's Super Sonic.
    [​IMG]

12. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I’ve never had a problem with green eyes tbh. I think just like Shitty Friends people just conflated it with the games becoming bad. It’d be like blaming Simpsons’ deterioration on Phil Hartman’s death. Sure, it’s a convenient coincidence, but still a coincidence at the end of the day.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think that additionally its the fact that we have passionate fans talking about things that only they will ever care about. They usually do so in a relatively civil and contained matter that will always end up looking ridiculous to outsiders looking in (including everyone from non-fans to fans who have no issues with the character designs). Things might get heated from time to time, but it's generally not as bad as some might have you believe.

Then you also have the fringe outliers Kuta and the Sonichu moron that earn notoriety outside the immediate fanbase and in turn give everyone a bad name. We don't need to talk about them.

Anyway... I played through Origins 3K recently in mirror mode. Unfortunately I know the game too well so not even mirror mode can really throw me off, but it's still a really nice feature to have. I kind of wish every Sonic game could have it. It can add a bit of an extra twist to any game with minimal effort, particularly platformers that require quick responses.

Also I played as Knuckles. I'm a total Knuckles fan boy because I grew up playing 3K on PC. Knuckles in 3K is really well designed. His weaker jump is a subtle but impactful handicap, especially when combined with the fact that he'll sometimes break platforms you thought he could stand on and his modified boss routines. I appreciate how his entire campaign is just that much more difficult than Sonic's in the same places, and how often it diverts him into routes designed for his abilities (even though those sections tend to be more linear).

It really brings to light how disappointing the different characters are in Mania by comparison.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  14. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’ve always liked Sonic The Comic’s adventure-era take on Sonic. You had the classic proportions with the green eyes and Richard Elson’s own style

15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    The only nerd Sonic super fan thing I care about is blue arms. And I think it’s because it often feels like an attempt to “fix” Sonic’s original design, as if the arms having the peach/tan color was a mistake, as opposed to a deliberate design choice, much like everything about Mario’s design being made in service of the technical limitations of the original Donkey Kong game. Sonic’s arms are peach for the same reason Mario wears overalls, it distinguishes their arms from the rest of their body.

It’s not a huge deal, just a quirk. If Sega decided tomorrow that Sonic will have blue arms for every piece of media going forward, I think I could cope.

16. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    The only complete ultra virgin thing that really bugs me is this.
    [​IMG]
    The thing they do when Sonic's arm goes into a sleeve(?) of some sort. It's bizarre, I always hate it whenever I see it.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Literally has never been part of this fanbase in any way, shape, or form.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Honestly, I think Sonic Origins could have been a great place to introduce the "Classic Green Eyes", especially the animations where they were occasionally drawn with light reflecting from the blacks of their eyes: just replace that reflection with the respective colours and it's a good shoutout to the later development without intruding on the overall designs.

Rough edit to show what I mean:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Indeed, and I liked their explanation that it's from his interaction with Chaos. I think the implication from other stuff is that he had blue eyes before that point.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  19. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    That looks quite good.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I will forever love that StC just had Robotnik change clothes in one panel. No ceremony, no body jumping, no regenerate in an egg… just changed his clothes. Fantastic.

And @Blue Blood agreed it’s a shame Mania didn’t do as much with the alternate paths for Knuckles. There are a few and the custom act but it’s not as impactful as how S3K did it