don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Speaking of new levels, I wonder if a "Dust Hill"-type desert level could be on the cards? After all, Taxman has some history with the Zone - back in his fangaming days, the older Retro Sonic demos contained a version of the stage, and in his work with SEGA, he previously pitched the "Desert Dazzle" version of the stage for the 2011 Sonic CD remake, reimagined with a more abstract Sonic CD style look and feel (and some lovely background art, too!).

Could Sonic Mania finally provide the opportunity for a version of this stage to see the light of day in a finished, official product? A "western desert"-style stage isn't really something that's been done in a 2D Sonic platformer, and could be a fun trope to explore. I'm not saying they'd be slavishly faithful to making it look like "Dust Hill Zone" as seen in the Sonic 2 mockups - the team will be looking to produce something as polished and visually interesting as Studiopolis, and would likely want a more interesting-sounding level name to boot. At the same time, I'm betting that if a western-style desert stage does appear, the team won't be able to resist throwing in some "Dust Hill" references in the Zone art, even if it's just things like the shapes/decoration of the cacti! = P

2. I actually think it would be cool to name it Dust Hill, after all 3&K had a hidden palace totally different to the planned S2 version :)

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Has this been posted here? It's a good laugh, at IGN of course.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CZ7tEK6gglI

Hyperlink

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I have long given up on the idea that game journalism or the gaming community at large will ever give Sonic a fair shake again. There's been too many bad games, a vocal bunch of zealots in the fanbase (and admittedly this guy is taking it a bit personally), and the pastime of conflating furries with Sonic fans. Nothing's going to change that until a Sonic game outperforms a Mario game in any metric. It can be exhausting to explain why people still like Sonic to those outside the fanbase, so it may be best just to save your breath and let the games do the talking. Hopefully Mania will be a good orator.

Also Mike continues to be a cool guy.
    [​IMG]

5. Those presenters are as cold & cynical as the studio decor. Poor

6. Taxman and Stealth, I have a question about the PS4 version. Will it support remote play on the PS Vita?
    And are you maybe considering a PS Vita version? It would really be great to play this game on the go on the PS Vita.

7. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I did not like that GameScoop video at all and as a result they are catching hell at IGN as they deserve. When they start expressing hatred towards the good things about the series, that's when they cross the line. I also have something to say about the fan base as well.

We can't always point fingers and get mad at IGN when a Sonic game is actually bad. We have people not accepting what's real and ignoring some of the things that's true. Some people are so lost in the series they think games like Sonic 4, Sonic Adventure, Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 are good. Sonic Adventure 2 was not a bad game but going back to that is not going to fix Sonic now. The level design in Generations is far superior to the Adventure games. The way the other characters were used was also poorly executed. Tails, Knuckles, Rouge should have had speed stages too.

We also need to accept everything about Unleashed, Colors, and Generations gameplay is not good. It is reasonable for them to bring back momentum based speed. Yes, Modern Sonic should still be as fast as he is now but allowing him to reach that speed with a boost button is cheap and the easy way out.

8. Jason

Jason

Here's the original video, with an impressive dislike bar. Aaron called them out in the comments, too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkmMCjYKvaQ

9. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I've played and beaten all of the classic Mario games (SMB1, LL, SMB3, SMW) and the classic Sonic games (S1, S2, SCD, S3&K), and I honestly prefer Sonic. The Sonic games offer more precise control and take a higher degree of skill level to just "get" the game, while the classic Mario games have more slippery controls and has more simplistic level design. A common criticism I have seen towards the classic Sonic games is that "they are too trial-and-error based and require you to memorize level layouts so it just amounts to fake difficulty" (this is a common criticism that I have seen on both YouTube and Reddit), can't say that I agree because it seems like they all forget that Sonic has the roll ability, which destroys enemies and other obstacles. Maybe they forget that because Mario doesn't roll? I think ultimately, it just amounts to people thinking Sonic is "too hard" because the learning curve to get the feel of the gameplay is a lot steeper than the classic Mario games.

Another reason why I disagree with the "trial and error" based argument is that, when the 2011 version of Sonic CD came out, I had only played through the game once many years prior on Gems Collection, so these levels were essentially new to me, and I was nowhere near as familiar with them as I am with S3&K's levels, yet I had no issues beating the game. I honestly think the people that make these comments just suck at Sonic and give up before they realize how to utilize Sonic's moveset.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I too am shocked that these people told their opinion about the Sonic franchise while on a podcast that's about their opinions on gaming news.

Seriously though, if you're actually mad at a site for disliking some video games you like: get a fucking life. If you're going to complain about bias from game reviewers, or "unprofessionalism" on a podcast like this, then I think it's pretty clear that neither is actually for you. Because guess what: reviews are never unbiased, they're always opinionated, the fucking point of a review is for the reviewer to give their opinion about whatever they're reviewing. Not to give some objective overview of the game, if you want that you may as well read a press release. Also video game podcasts are usually never professional aside from having a structure. If you have actually listened to any podcast by any big gaming site you'd know this.

These people don't need to have the same perspective as you. They don't need to treat every game franchise with respect the same way you don't need to respect franchises you don't like. And acting like petty, entitled manchildren about their dislike of the franchise isn't going to get them to change their opinion about it. At least not in any way you'd want them to.

The only thing that I think is maybe something to be angry at in that video was a small bit where they mocked people for liking the games. That's actually shitty. But otherwise you're just doing what Mega64 parodied here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1sklmOR9E

11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    While I agree that we shouldn't really be too butt hurt about what they said, as it is just an opinion piece, the whole thing circles around when telling people who have an opinion on an opinion to get a life. The only way to fix the whole situation is prevent opinions all together and that's just silly.

Hate mongering in reviews is something worth having an opinion on, well... That's just my opinion.

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm not saying that their view of Sonic games isn't worth having an opinion on, it's just dumb to get mad about it. Also, I'd hardly call what they're doing "hate mongering".

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nobody smart enough to get full membership at Sonic Retro should be visiting IGN.

14. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    *Unless they said a bad thing about Sonic then we should give them all the clicks.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also one thing that's important to remember is that some people didn't like Sonic back in the day either. That's their choice though, let's just be happy we have something coming out that should be pretty damn good in our eyes.

16. Jason

Jason

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can we start a petition to get rid of this petition?

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: Ya know what? Screw it. I'm reporting this petition. People need to learn not to get butt hurt because someone doesn't agree with them.

EDIT 2: Ironically they denied my request because they're entitled to their opinion :v:

18. Hahahahaha oh man

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    >People who talk about Sonic like he's a real person...

20. llun

llun

I have to agree. Even though I really disagree with IGN's podcasts opinions, I respect them. They should be able to state their opinions in an opinionated discussion. Those petitions are just worthless, really. I have never seen a gaming related petition that worked, as well as the fact that they aren't going to change their opinions because people don't like them. Pretty immature from all of those who signed that petition.