don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sonic Mania will be longer than Sonic Generations http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_Mania#cite_ref-Note_1_5-0

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk, teal? Mania?

It's obviously Manic :specialed:

I'm thinking if there's going to be a 4th character though it would probably be Metal Sonic, simply because Metal would likely play closer to Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles than Amy would. Also teal has been used to represent Metal Sonic before (Mainly SADX)

3. Ok, this really feels like "what if we did a 2D Saturn Sonic?" Visually reminds me of Chaotix. Other than Under the Green Hill Zone.

I'm liking this. Title screen, sprites the lot. Not sure about the drop dash though.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

People, people, that teal line is OBVIOUSLY representative of Rotor in Satam colour format.

Concerning playable characters, I'd fully support more if the game goes for the retro optional format, and I'd especially love an official playable rendition of classic Amy, but I won't be disappointed if three is it. It's a miracle a whole new retro styled game like this is being officially released as it is.

5. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Holy shit, this is a lot more than I was expecting considering the short time-frame.

* Every act will have a boss (just like S3&K!!!)
    * Game will be "longer than Sonic Generations"

Also I watched a gameplay video someone took of Studiopolis zone (I don't have a link but you can easily find it by searching on Youtube) and the level is HUGE. Like, S3&K-levels huge. This is the REAL Sonic 4, guys. Sonic 4 as you truly imagined it. (Though personally I hope this spawns a Sonic Mania 2, and Sonic Mania 3 & Knuckles)

6. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Seems like Sega is putting a lot of focus on Classic Sonic now (as they should). He's going to be in both of the new games, they just put him in Sonic Dash, has a new comic series, and he's making appearances as much as Modern Sonic now if not more. He's back and he's here to stay this time.

7. Vertrex

Vertrex

Layin' the wax and spinnin' the sound Member
    My inner childhood is crying tears of joy over this trailer. ;-; Words cannot describe how ready I am for this game.

8. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I really hope that Sega aggrees to Renegade Kid's offer to port the game to the 3DS. They should know that Sonic games sell well on Nintendo platforms (unless they're Boom), and having a handheld Sonic game that's a direct port of its console counterpart... that's never even happened before! (the Gamegear games are not ports, guys. And the Game boy Advance version of Riders also never happened)
    But if it does happen, hopefully it won't get stuck in development hell like the 3DS version of Mighty No.9, which doesn't even have screenshots or a release date.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I'm pretty sure that if Sega wanted a 3DS version, they would have announced one themselves already. Taxman also already showed that he got the Retro Engine running on 3DS before, so I don't think they'd need Renegade Kid's help.

And handheld ports that are the same as the console counterparts have happened before with Sonic. There was Racing Transformed on Vita and Sonic 4 and the CD remaster on mobile. In fact, with the latter the console version was an outsourced port of the mobile version. :V

EDIT: Also, GBA version of Riders? That one was cancelled.

10. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

This game's subpixel animations speak to me on a spiritual level. Could not resist to try making something on the style:

[​IMG]

Most of my inspiration came from wanting to see Amy being playable in this game (I'm probably not the only one), so this is what I imagine she would look like.

11. serpx

serpx

I'm sure if Sonic Mania is successful, it'll port eventually to other places. The thing with multiplat is, the more systems you release on, the more testing/time you have to do. From what I've been reading, it doesn't seem like they have all the time in the world with this game for being on more systems so they just put it on the most popular consoles. NX isn't on there since, I'm assuming, NX doesn't release early next year.

12. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Watch it be 10 zones instead of 9 :specialed:

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys, before we start thinking of this game as "the next Sonic 4", keep in mind that we still don't even know how many original levels it will have.

This game may be more in the lines of "Megaman The Wily Wars with reimagined levels". Which, for the record, I don't think would be a bad thing at all.

14. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    Oh my god. I want this so much.

15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Oh I like that alot. Might just end up being my favourite 16bit Amy sprite.

16. Mate that's awesome

17. I agree with this sentiment to some extent, except that I do believe that even if the game ends up having a majority of overhauled levels, Taxman has said that the GHZ that we saw was "the tamest remaster" in the game, or one of them anyways. I think significant layout changes still provide a fresh experience in comparison to what Wily Wars was. I think that if the level layouts are different enough it will warrant being called a fresh experience. I can't imagine they're going to pour an absolute boatload of original stuff in the game so I've set my expectations for original content at a fairly minimal level. I'd probably settle for about 3-4 new zones, really. This game feels like a litmus test to see if people want this sort of thing, and I imagine they're saving a lot of other great ideas for a follow up to this game's success because I already know it's going to do incredibly well.

Wily Wars was like, a really bad port unfortunately. It should not have been, but it was. HOWEVER the new content it provided (Wily Tower) makes the game more than worth playing through, which I imagine is what you're getting at. I think the largest difference between this and what the Wily Wars was is that the deviations from source are actually really good and the game's physics are spot on. I could go on and on about the Wily Wars and how it messed up quite a bit of nuances compared to the original games (Quick Man taking 1 damage from the Mega Buster instead of 2, Elec Man being faster somehow, Cut Man not being weak to the Mega Buster) but you get the idea. I think a better comparison would be like, the Ninja Gaiden SNES Trilogy but with some original content sprinkled in (to what extent we don't know) and with changes to the original levels that keep their familiar appearance but change how you play them.

I'm not sure if I'd call it "the proper Sonic 4" on a literal level, but I think it is on a figurative level in that it's a new 2D Sonic game done correctly, which I think is what most people are getting at.

Also that Saturn-esque Amy sprite animation is absolutely gorgeous!

18. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    That's about 16 different flavors of glorious right there.

19. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    If we are going to speculate on the classic to new ratio, 10 stages could be 50-50. That wouldn't be too bad:

Sonic 1 - GHZ
    Original Zone 1 - Studiopolis
    Sonic 2 - ???
    Original Zone 2 - ???
    Sonic CD - ???
    Original Zone 3 - ???
    Sonic 3K - ???
    Original Zone 4 - ???
    Knuckles' Chaotix - ???
    Original Zone 5 - ???

20. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I just saw that Renegade Kid offered Sega to port the game on the Sonic Wiki page of the game, so I just thought that would be a good idea. I had no idea that Taxman got the Retro engine running on the 3DS! But wouldn't it maybe save the main development team some time and resources if the handheld version was outsourced? I can imagine that the engine would have to be optimized for Sonic Mania to run properly on the 3DS.

And about the GBA Riders: That's what I meant when I wrote "never happened"