don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Creature SH

Creature SH

I doubt that the laser's the problem.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Have to be honest, maybe I'm lacking the mad skills I had in childhood that allowed me to ace Sonic 3K with fourteen emeralds, but that Oil Ocean boss made me want to rage quit too.

It's just unnecessarily hard. The boss has too many forms and there's too much potential for insta-death. I love Mania but it does feel like the challenge spikes too severely at points.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The lava reef part of that boss felt really out of place and made the boss much more difficult than it should have been.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I lost nearly 10 lives on a Knuckles run with all emeralds on that boss. I almost ragequit, but I managed to backtrack long enough to get 50 rings and beat it while super. But really, 10 lives. Those Lava Reefs turrets were too much. Maybe if there was just one would be balanced, but two are definitely OP.

Fuck that boss, really.

5. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    I just got the Knuckles and Knuckles ending. It's good to see Chaotix getting some love even if it's just the theme song.

6. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

The thing is that you should be destroying those turrets before attacking the boss unless you have a shield, which renders the turrets almost inconsequential.

The problem is that if Knuckles isn't back on the platforms as they're rising back up, he's pretty much stuck in the oil, which means that he has to be away from the platforms as soon as the gun descends into the oil (since the gun itself hurts) and jump to the side as soon as the platforms drop so that he's not hit by the boss when it pops up.

Looking at my successful attempt, though, makes me wonder why the boss gave me so much trouble in the first place. I guess I was trying too hard to fight it the same way I did as Sonic, which led to frustration when it wasn't possible, followed by impatience. With Sonic, I'd try to hit the turret as many times as I could before the platforms got dragged under, but if Knuckles is trapped in the oil, I have to hit the turrets while I'm under the platform and when they're descending, which is likely to cause Knuckles to end up trapped in the oil again.

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    there was a little more than that. Metal Sonic had his little insert them from the Level hub and Oil Ocean has Marina Madness Submarines. Plus I think Knuckles' Sprites are based on his sprites from Chaotix. I know his climbing animations are definitely based on them.

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

9. corneliab

corneliab

Knuckles can jump back onto the platforms from the oil, even with his lower jump.

10. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

It's much harder than with Sonic or Tails. I think I managed to do it only once.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    How do the steam updates happen? Are they automatic? I don't see any prompts. At the same time I'm a little scared after reading about someone's save getting erased.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

13. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    In more big games, when you open Steam and try to play it, it will tell you it's updating. For a small size game like Sonic Mania, the update downloads almost instantaneously; there are no prompts, but you should see 1 of 1 items complete message on the lower center of Steam window. If you click on it, it will take you to the downloads page where you can see all the downloaded updates/games. If Mania was updated, it will be there.

No hard feelings, but I hate you. Knuckles with no rings. I definitely hate you.

14. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Well, that certainly made me feel like a talentless chump. I need to improve my Knuckles game. Thanks for the demonstration, though.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Man, this guy is pretty go-

Hey wait a minute! That's my video!

16. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Yeah, got those from /v/. Should've made this clear.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That's fucking amazing. I knew the turrets didn't matter with my ST playtrough, but this is absolutely incredible.

Btw, I'm in love with the Act 2 music. Tee changed the character of the song with that baseline, especially the climactic part towards the end, which was especially satisfying to hear as he doubled that part of the song. The music for the game makes wipes the floor with the majority of the franchise and has set a new standard.

18. Deef

Deef

I disagree with most of the last 10 replies. :D

I fault the boss for its placement. Wait around + appears off screen is not good imo.
    But its toughness? Mmm no, it is tough but the challenge laid out seems completely fair to me.

I think the music generally lost the melodic nature Sonic music was typically really solid on. Mirage Saloon is the best in Mania imo but in terms of whistling to yourself in your head... honestly nothing in Mania comes close to 90% of Sonic 1/2/3. Hydrocity.. Icecap.. Carnival Night.. Angel Island.. Marble.. Star Light.. Flying Battery.. Labyrinth.. easy to catch onto and just sing along. Literally anything there you can just start singing along to now. Really different story with Mania.

19. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Really? I find it the exact opposite, the new stage music in Mania is extremely catchy. Might not have the biggest of "Sonic-y"(?) feels but they're for sure good songs that fit the stage they're in. Even Titanic Monarch has some good tracks. I'll find myself sitting around and getting the tune of a track stuck in my head so I gotta pull up the OST to listen to it.

Press Garden Act 1 continues to be one of my favorite tracks in the entire game. Man is that song good.

press garden act 1 > press garden act 2 you know I'm right

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Ooh, I disagree. I've been humming Press Garden Act 2 and Mirage Saloon all the time since the game came out...