Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Megalodon

Megalodon

Retro Grammar Sniper
    Like I said earlier, the aesthetics are amazing. It's nice to see more open world to move around in, as Generations was starting to get there, but this screams Classic's when it comes to moving around in the level any way you want to, instead of having pre-determined paths with only 2-3 different sections where you can differ from the original path for like, 30 seconds, and then you're back to the main path. At 1:08 in the video, look at the wide open area. This is what I've been looking for in a Sonic game for years. Areas to run around and explore and find new ways to traverse through the level. We also finally have a 3D underwater section in a Sonic game (I am not counting the Lost World level from SA1, that snake area was just a small area, this looks like an entire act.), and we can use the drill wisp in 3D, an aspect that I thought would be in Colors. This game is looking up to be one of the best Sonic games of all time. The levels are fast, fun, and very lively. This is the step that I think SEGA has been looking to take for a while, and it is doing well. Your thoughts, Retro?

2. I can't wait to make Omochao's in the 3DS version to send into my friend's games and give tutorials to them :eng101:

but damn, that trailer sure showed a lot of new stuff we hadn't seen before, and most of it looked pretty promising too.

I'll probably pick up the 3DS version right away and the Wii U one later, like whenever I get a Wii U (maybe there'll be a bundle deal once it's out? who knows)

3. When I talked about how cool it would be to use the drill wisp in 3D underwater sections and whizz around like in a starfox game in my Sonic Colors review waaaaaaaaay back when.... I never thought they'd actually do it.

I need this game.

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    And yet nobody noticed the Supersonic icon @ 0:19 for the 3DS version, were getting supersonic fully playable on a handheld!!

Funny I was getting Mario Sunshine vibes...

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Just adding to the chorus of "this looks even more like Super Sonic Galaxy now". I'm simultaneously disappointed and excited.

6. EllisG2

EllisG2

Everything looks pretty polished, but I really wish they went with the Generations controls on this. Based on the demo from SDCC, the game doesn't even play remotely like a Sonic game, which would be okay if the game controlled well. Which is, you know, the most important part.

Maybe in 5 years or so this formula will start playing alright at which point Sega can change it again.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I'm sure someone will be hacking this game at somepoint to re-add the classic sonic controles and maybe even classic sonic physics again... or maybe even port levels to generations

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It is supposed to be something different from the Generations-style. And while the controls in Generations worked well for that style of gameplay, it doesn't really work well with a more platforming-heavy game like Lost World.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Well, that looks insanely fun. o_O Too bad the HD version is exclusive to the Wii U. Not a single other game for the Wii U interests me anywhere near as much as Sonic Lost World. But on the bright side, one of my friends is getting a Wii U tomorrow and said I could borrow his system at some point to play Sonic Lost World. Would be nice to own the game and be able to play it anytime I want to though. Oh well... At least I'll be able to play it this Fall.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    This game looks to be a nega-Unleashed situation: A game trying to reinvent Sonic in 3D going too far in one direction of the spectrum (platforming in this case instead of speed in Unleashed) which will end up frustrating and disappointing about half the fanbase. But those disappointed see potential for refinement if more of the lost portion of Sonic is reinserted (added more platforming in Colors/Generations, Lost World needs more speed and flow). I look forward to the sequel, but I'm in no hurry to buy this game and the necessary console.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I think that might be a bit of an over exaggeration.

12. Jason

Jason

I seem to remember Unleashed getting all sorts of flack on my old forums for being Sonic Rush in 3D, and that being bad because there were very few platforming sections, and when there were the controls were so loose and slippery they made people quit.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Your forums =/= half the fanbase.

14. Jason

Jason

True, but back then the forum was pretty large, and I'd like to believe it was a good sample to judge from. Am I mistaken?

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I don't know, I haven't seen your forums. And besides, there are fans outside of the main big Sonic forums... but let's not talk about those. :v:

Also, you can already see the internet reaction to Lost World, most seem to like what it looks like. Those with the most to criticize usually make the longest/most posts. I've also seen lots of people who haven't really paid much attention to the franchise or didn't like Unleashed/Colors/Generations on NeoGAF be pleasantly surprised by how it looks.

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I don't think I've seen so much positive press for a 3D Sonic game since the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2. The press seemed very optimistic about that game and gave it very strong reviews. While Generations is generally viewed by gamers and the press as a better game, its overall reception was not as strong as SA2's reception at launch.

17. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's certainly saying a lot, considering how hardly three to four years ago, the press (Or at least Yahoo! was.) proclaimed how tired and pathetic the series had become, and how it should have been retired, instead of us watching Sonic Team beat on the dead horse some more. (Also remember this bias making its way to Unleashed reviews.) I didn't really start seeing good press pickup again until Colors on the Wii.

While I'm excited for this game myself, is anyone else seeing a missed opportunity with the larger focus on platforming? Speaking outside my preference for playing as other characters besides Sonic, there is a lot they could do for paths and little shortcuts that only Knuckles or Tails could reach in their own ways; the level design would be so much more rich and wondeful for it. I think I would have a harder time wanting to play future installments of this playstyle if they willingly overlook the potential of other characters and don't exploit that. The replay value will likely be good either way, but it could easily go the extra mile.

I understand Sonic Team wanted to up the quality bar, and focus on making the newer main games play properly, but this sudden dry spell of no playable characters at all besides Sonic leaves me a little frustrated. Catering to the playstyles of six different characters or more, like in the Adventure games, is extremely tideous, unnecessary, and problematic, so I have no problem agreeing to them wanting to cut the bloat from future games, but what's so wrong about at least one other character with an ability besides running fast? I'd guess that's why they are compensating for Sonic's normally barebones playstyle with Wisps in this game, otherwise their inclusion seems pretty random.

18. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Fan reception is more legitimate than the nonsense that comes from the press and critics. Those people don't know half a thing about what makes a game and how to judge it. They judge all games by the same rubric. Sonic fans know what makes a Sonic game. Mario fans know what makes a Mario game, etc, etc... You get the point. Every franchise has its own identity. If you think what I'm saying is bullshit, then how in the hell would Generations not top S4 E1 ratings wise? Matter of fact, why did E1 get strong ratings? E2 got shit scores. What does that say about the press and these morons in charge of judging a game? Lost World's reception should be in the hands of Sonic fans, because they know how to properly point out inconsistencies and things that are out of place in a Sonic game.

19. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Hey, remember the last time SEGA listened to the fans?

[​IMG]

I'm not saying the fans are always wrong, mind you. But to say that the reception should only be in the hands of the fans isn't exactly the best idea either.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    While I don't think review sites are a good source for opinions on games as they often get overhyped or pressured into giving a game a great review, lots of fans on the other hand can get too critical, overhyped or judge it without having played it. Just listen to people you often agree with (friend, forum user or reviewer :v:) or if there's a good demo judge it based on that.