don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Two questions... One, does this apply to the rival battles? Two, can these files control their attack patterns based off of what part of the map they're in? Y'know, could you could do something like set Silver to use certain attacks when he's within certain sections of the level, even though the original fight doesn't used specified bits of the track to determine it?

2. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

All life form data, successfully copied! Member
    At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    Nope. Death Egg Robot, Egg Dragoon, and the Time Eater are the only ones with those specialized .lua files.
    There is absolutely NO way to modify Perfect Chaos' attack patterns, and the 3 rivals can only have extremely minor things altered. Using both BossRivalSetting.xml and their parameters within setdata_base.set.xml, you can alter things such as their HP (or in Shadow's case, the amount of cores to collect,) various velocity-based stuff for their attacks, velocity settings for their movement speed, etc.

Also, the 3 bosses with .lua files have their HP controlled within the .lua (except Time Eater, who ALWAYS have 3 HP before the final attack.)

In general, I haven't done too much research or testing on these, so I don't know the full extent of what can be edited. However, I do already know most of the things that can't be edited on a per-boss basis.

3. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Ah, alright then... I'm still curious to see in what ways boss fights might be adapted to alternate map layouts and such. As I said some time ago, I'd love to see stuff like Rival battles done on the Egg Beetle/Devil-Ray tracks, Dark Gaia's run sections used for Perfect Chaos, or maybe even fighting the Egg Dragoon on the Egg Lancer map. Y'know, just to see what's possible.

4. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Regarding your Metal Sonic Generations mod, Joe, I'm not sure how well this would transition from 2D to 3D, but do you think that, while in boost mode, Metal Sonic could have his arms in front of him like he has them in Sonic CD rather than behind him like they are now?

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ah ok so it all just depends on the modder and their passion for the mod they are making rather then the tech we have now. I thought it was going to be a "we don't have the tech currently to build or dismantle such and such so it can't be done" kind of impossibility like it is with Sonic 4.

Hopefully we some passionate people who are willing to go out of the way to incorporate some ASRT stuff in Generations (including you Dude!).

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sky Sanctuary from ASRT could prove to be a very interesting alternate act layout. In fact I would love to see some of these levels from ASRT brought into Generations for the purpose of rival fights (Running after Metal Sonic on the Death Egg Hanger level would be pretty awesome, and if Sky Sanctuary could be set at Sunset I feel like it could make a great fight for the Egg Dragoon).

7. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    Big the Cat in Sonic Generations, High-Res HUD for Sonic Lost World, Metal Sonic Lost World (Version 1.0,) Sonic Generations: Episode Metal (Version 3.0.)
    No.
    The old "arms in front of him" boost animation just doesn't seem like something that MODERN Metal Sonic would do *winkwink*
    [​IMG]

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ Ah, but he's not boosting there now is he?

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Well no, but that "arms out in front" animation always looked crap. It's made him look like he was constantly falling.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't know I felt like it kind of worked when Classic Metal did it in Generations. In CD though it looked like crap though yes (Then again I never cared for Sonic CD's Metal Sonic sprites. They all looked horribly awkward).

11. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    I see what you did there...
    [​IMG]
    Lookie here. When Metal Sonic got that purple electricity from Lost Labyrinth, he boosted out of there using the exact same animation that was in my previous screenshot!
    I actually went back and looked at his Sonic CD sprites. The ONLY time he ever put his arms in front of him was when he was doing that one attack (I forgot the name, but it's the one that he uses at the start of the rival battle in Sonic Generations.) And even then, his hands weren't clenched into fists. The "fists clenched" variant was exclusive to Generations (and only happens when he's breaking the lamps.)

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    In other words, it's not a "go fast" quirk, it's a "break shit!" quirk. Though, with boosting's ability to do just that, I'd prefer it if he had his hands out in front of him, clenched into fists.

13. Joe T.E.

Joe T.E.

At my home in Florida
    It's a "break shit!" quirk for CLASSIC Metal Sonic...
    [​IMG]
    MODERN Metal Sonic lacks that quirk.

To sum up all this, the Modern-half of Metal Sonic Generations is HEAVILY based off of how Metal Sonic was portrayed in Sonic 4: Episode 2 (With a few apsects from Sonic Heroes, Sonic Rivals 2, and Sonic Free Riders added in.)
    The animations currently being used in this mod match up to Modern Metal Sonic's animations in Sonic 4: Episode 2. I'm NEVER going to use the "arms in front" animation for MODERN Metal Sonic. Anyone that wants to see the "arms in front" animation may create the animation and add it in themselves after Metal Sonic Generations is released...

14. Here's a Windy Valley progress video. Thoughts/feedback?

15. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    You got way too many 1UPs there buddy, personally I'd replace most of them with super rings or whatever they're called.

What are you planning to do about the stage transitions?

16. The 1ups are there as a little bonus. You could say they're pretty much the stage's gimmick :v:. At least I toned them down a bit, since there used to be a spot where you could get thirty 1ups in less than 5 seconds.

And for the stage transition, well, KatamariParadox wants to keep that a secret for a little longer. I can safely say that it's already done though.

17. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    I like the way you're working around the stage geometry so far, however your layout can seem a bit cluttered in some areas.... and in others just silly. The majority looks pretty good though!

Also I agree with CB on the 1-ups. This isn't Mario! :P

18. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    I wouldn't say so quite yet. :U

19. Please elaborate on the cluttered and silly areas if you could...

The 1-ups are going to be toned down with some replaced with Red Rings. The platforming section at the end of Windy Hill will be replaced as well, probably with a 2D platforming section that uses geometry from the Tornado section of Windy Valley.

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    My apologies. By cluttered I mean some of the objects seem kind of too close together and/or there a bit of excess, like the long balloon chain or the five dash rings that lead up to the rainbow ring (in that case it's just a bit too much rings in a close proximety to eachother). Just... it seems some things seem unecessary and or use up too much objects in a small space :/

I don't know, maybe if you were to make the objects look more like they fit with the stage it'd look better, but something just feels off about some of the object placements. Still, looks fun and I look forward to finding things you've tucked away in the paths less traveled by ;P