don't click here

Sonic Fusion

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Felik, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Felik

Felik

Not exactly. I ripped decorations from there (bushes flowers etc) But core tiles and BG (except rocks from bg which I ripped by myself) ripped my friend Mefiresu from leaked Sonic 4 version (those one that launches on jtag'ed consoles)
    Here is his video about ripping materials from Sonic 4

2. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Oh cool now there's another .amb unpacker too.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is going to sound crazy, but I'd really like so see some more voice clips in here, since you're going for the modern treatment. Can't wait to give this a play!

4. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    wow that's awesome :D classic gameplay with bits of Sonic Advance, Rush and Rivals! :'D and also you're great at designing levels! I loved the flooded capital the most. Can't wait to play it, good job! :D

5. Introversive

Introversive

Knuckles game play looks pretty interesting. I like how he has his headbutt move from SA3 without sacrificing his glide. His ability to grab enemies and throw them has quite some puzzle potential to it. If you add in his ability to spindash on walls from that same game (usable when his partner is Amy), that would definitely be awesome.

6. Dude everyone loves Flooded Capital.
    The idea and level art is fantastic. The Music from Shadow is a great match up.

You have progressed well Felik.

I hope to see your other levels soon...

7. Felik

Felik

8. It looks pretty good. I like the art style for Green Valley

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Honestly the art for the stage needs a lot of work. What you have now is a huge style clash. The stage itself is using 3D Blast style artwork, while you are mixing it with Advance, and S3 art. It's very weird looking as it is. Although I will say I like the vine you pushed in near the end of the level that acted as a spring was a cool gimmick.

10. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Felik is a great game designer and an awesome level layout desiner. I aways said this, and I usually suggest people to play his fangame if they want good leads on how to properly design the layout of a level. Flooded Captal is the pure reflex of this sentiment, though Sparkling Complex have a special place in my heart. =P

That been said, with all honesty, I'm currently not very happy with the direction you are taking your project recently. It seems you are unsure of what direction to put it, and make of it a huge mess of different style, leaving the game without an own identity. And now it seems it is reaching the actual level art of the game as well. As noted by Polygon Jim in the above post, there's a huge clash of styles.

I'll say this because most of the people here at Retro aren't as familiar with this project as I am, that have been following it since the early development of the project. Your project is have a good concept since the begining. When I first heard the name "Sonic Fusion," I realized it had this name because it was a Sonic game made on Multimedia Fusion, but in the same extent as "Sonic Advance" is a Sonic game made for the Game Boy Advance. Do you get what I'm saying? When I actuallt played it, I loved it so much, because you were taking a "Sonic Advance" approach with the project. Even the musics and sound effects were straightly ripped from the Advance and Rush series. Despite the name, Sonic Fusion was the espiritual successor of the "Advance" series. But that is not what made Sonic Fusion so great back then; it was the fact that the game had it's own identity. And that particular identity is what previously made Sonic Fusion one of the better featured SAGE games. Even the fact that you actually toned down some modern musics in order to make they sound as if coming out from a GBA emulator. These all were nice touches. But over time, you seemed to be trying to change the paradigm; you started changing the sound effects to the ones of Sonic Adventure, changing music, game style, and that particular identity that made this game so great begun to fade, to the point that now, Sonic Fusion just looks as good as any other fan game out there (that, despite your own creative gimmicks and incomparable level layouts).

Now, I can't even understand what leads you want to take in this game at all! An this is really uncomfortable, because it appears you are doing the absolute polar opposite of what you were doing in the begining.

Note, however, that I said all of this not to criticize, but instead, as a way of showing what is going on with this project over the years, so you can once again define an identity to Sonic Fusion, and improve it at the best of your abilities. Because this is a project that I like a lot, and I want to see it being executedly as good as possible.

About the anime intro, the menus and cutscenes, they are great! But the sound effects are still way too modern-ishy, and with Sonic Adventure's player select music, well, they all doesn't go along very well. There's definitely a clash of styles.

11. Felik

Felik

Thanks for support, Endri.
    Indeed in the beginning I was going to make a Sonic Advance 4 - just a game with levels, bosses and special stages. But then I changed my mind. I always thought that Sonic Adventure is great so I decided to make something bigger. So now Sonic Fusion has all this fancy design, more complicated storyline (even though in this video it wasn't shown) and different play styles (emerald hunt etc.)
    Sonic Fusion is not a "Sonic Advamce 4", it's more like "Sonic Adventure in 2D".

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I absolutely love the layouts and gimmicks you have shown off so far.

13. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Looks pretty cool so far, but the level art for Green Valley needs some colours toned down in my opinion.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think what I think about the level graphics has already been said; good idea and concept, the style mixing however is not a good way to deliver it.

I simply LOVE how you used Archie artwork for the cutscene. It oddly fits in well, and refreshing to see broad facial expressions in a Sonic cutscene. :)

My opinion is make the art style more along the Advance games, but keep your Adventure type plot.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    duude what happened? This looked so promising... you should know mixing graphics is a HUGE no no. Also, a cheesy stupid story? Did you not learn from that stupid sonic 1 remake? Stories are...just fucking gay...

In all honesty, you need to take it back to the drawing board.

16. Felik

Felik

I know about graphics. You are like 294721th person who says that style of this level doesn't match with style of other levels. I get it and I'll try to keep style stable in further levels.

But I can't agree about story. You've seen 2 cutscenes right? And now you are judging about whole game's plot. Believe me the story is not about "Sonic completes several levels and beats eggman in the end".

17. Fwiss

Fwiss

When I looked at the first video, I could say I was unimpressed. Megaman Zero enemy sprites and Sonic Advance? Not soo good. The tileset and physics were flat-out great, though. Online mode reminds me of 2 player on Sonic Adventure 2. The online play on a 2d fangame seems to be its redeeming quality, and the level design looks almost like Sonic Rush. (In neither an insulting or complementing way)
    New sheilds are always a nice little touch, too.

18. BouncyMushroom

BouncyMushroom

Wow, this is quite nice! It's nice to see that someone implemented online 2-Player mode. I liked the level design, and the new shields also add to the experience in a positive way. The only thing I'd like to see changed is the Press Start Button message on the title screen. I know you tried to mimic Sonic Adventure, but in my opinion you need spaces between the words. May I ask in what language you wrote Sonic Fusion, and what engine you used? I really hope to see Mac and Linux ports of Sonic Fusion, and keep up the good work!

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    how can I not? The scenes were corny as fuck, just like any other fan AND official game that had cut scenes in 2d. "LOLOL ON VAC SONC? I JZ GOT ASLL TEH EMERALDZ IN 2 MINS LOL BEAT DAT"

20. Felik

Felik

Sorry what? Personally I liked Sonic Rush games but I never tried to mimic their gameplay. I don't know why do you think that gameplay is like in Sonic Rush but it definitely is NOT.
    It's old good Multimedia Fusion so unfortunately there will be no ports.
    Yeah I know that :) I repeat that you DON'T know the whole story. You may laugh but first cutscenes were corny on purpose. You'll see when there will be more cutscenes ;)