don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    But then I gotta ask-why would you want to jump and correct course while boosting? Haven't got a chance to play these last few days but from memory boosting while you're doing any kind platforming is an ill advised choice.

Maybe it's just my Adventure-loving ass not playing the way I'm supposed to but I pretty much exclusively boost when going in a straight line and need to go faster; in a way it's pretty much a buffed run button from Lost World.

Otherwise I just use the normal running controls and again...they're probably the best the series have ever seen. Idk. Guess it all comes down to the way different players will play the game but "controls" are not what I would bring up when talking about the game's flaws. (Although I will agree and say Sonic Team outdid themselves in creating the absolute worst 2D stages and 2D physics in the entire series, which I genuinely didn't think they could achieve after screwing the pooch so much on Colours and Forces already)

Also, please go in the option menu and put every slider on 100; I know it's not your job yadda yadda yadda but it takes less than 30 seconds and makes the game objectively better. Don't you want the game to be better?

2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't think it's a bad thing that the game has a lot of modifiable controls. It's a good thing. But I think the base controls should be the standard for everyone and work as intended.

3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    I've tried that (there are surprisingly few places where there's a rail that simply launches you without a spring or dash ring) and stick direction doesn't change anything. And of course, they work fine when you jump off rails too.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I don't think this is reasonable. They gave you the control sliders for you to play around with to your liking. This isn't new to games at all and has been a thing for a long time.

The same way a game may not be for everybody, a game's controls may not be for everybody and being to tweak them is a *good* thing.

5. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The only time this was ever a problem for me is in Cyber Space stages where Sonic automatically runs in the beginning and I forget I have to actually play the game. Otherwise, this actually saved me a few times.

Additionally, rolling and air momentum don't have this quirk. Though, there is another quirk in that if you Power Boost then stop boosting, Sonic actually retains that speed / momentum for a few seconds before going back to his regular running speed, for reasons I assume are due to the latter's pitifully low speed cap.

EDIT: Testing it out again, Sonic does actually gradually go decelerate from his boost speed, it's just that 1) it's really quick, 2) the normal speed cap is very low so it's jarring, and 3) the level 1 boost speed cap is also so low that it feels binary.

6. Reached the pinball challenge, this might be it for me because I do not like pinball enough to get the required 5 million points

Makes no sense with how lenient the game has been with most other challenges.

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I know I'm complaining a lot but I am pushing on with the game. Lol! I've heard that to see the true final boss you need to be on hard mode? I think I'm near the end and do want to see the true final boss. So if I just change to hard mode mid game would that suffice?

8. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Hard Mode mostly just changes the enemy health, certain behaviors, and makes Sonic lose more rings with a hit.

Honestly, people should play it on Hard by default, the game doesn't get that much harder.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yes, you can do it as late as + - during the Titan fight on Ouranos Island   as far as I'm aware. And if you decide you're not vibing with the boss, setting your difficulty lower again will just let you skip straight to the ending.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Thanks! I'll persevere and get to the final boss. No point stopping at the end and not going on Hard Mode.

Also I know I've been hard on the game, so in fairness, I think it's very good design that Big's fishing game lets you get memory tokens very easily. Made the final island much better.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I love pinball, but this part almost made me drop the game entirely. I never lost any balls due to missing shots with the flippers, but I did lose some due to the ball simply going down the holes with no flippers. I think not giving the player ways to earn more balls was a questionable design choice. I only had to retry once, but it was frustrating to have progression in the game locked behind something so time consuming and basically luck-based, especially with how at odds that is with much of the rest of the game letting you side-step parts you might not care for.

It acting as a gate for progression aside, I did like it though. Physics in it are embarrassingly bad, but I was having fun with it until I realized what was being asked of me.

12. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Bingo! This is why you having a hard time controlling Sonic in the Open Zone. If you still playing go right now to your options and on game settings move the sliders for everything to the Right (except maybe Camera), you gonna thank us if you do. Not only will Sonic be much faster but he will be so easy to control.

13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Wow.

Didn't know that my Touhou skills would come in handy. Lol!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Yeah 3D Sonic games stopped having distinctive elements to their levels a while ago. In Frontiers there really is no difference when it comes to the gameplay mechanics in all the 5 islands.

15. Boost turning speed being to the right makes it so you can’t cyloop while boosting as quickly. I personally have that all the way down.

Laura does have a point regarding air controls. You don’t turn around in midair easily, and instead Sonic will sort of semi-circle around like Mario turning around in Mario 64. The way around this is just boosting in the opposite direction and then stomping, but that can be demanding for less skilled players.

16. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    The air controls during a jump are the one thing I hated in Colors and expected to get better with each game, yet they're also the one thing that has stayed the same in Sonic's moveset since then. Running, changing direction and the like are all tweaked just a bit in each game, seemingly depending on the generation or console itself. While they still haven't really adjusted it here either, it does feel like they've finally accounted for it when building... land? Setpieces? It feels so much better to use in an open area instead of yet another hallway-stage.

Edit: This is the first Sonic game in a long while that feels so much fun to play even with the jank, and that every criticism mentioned feels absolutely fair and worth improving for the next game.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've beaten the game. I have many thoughts. I'd probably rate the game as a 5/10 which probably is unsurprising from my posts.

I do respect it for trying to do something different. But it is just so poorly designed in so many ways. You'll all be glad to know I'll move over into the Spoiler thread and you won't have to see me here haha. I've appreciated you all listening to my grumbles!

18. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
  19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Okay so I wasn't the only one who thought of that franchise during that part. I said the same thing.

20. Seeing YouTubers and others online mention that series instead of the game it is more obviously paying homage to is hurting my soul…

That said, are those games actually worth playing if you’re a fan of that genre or is it more the whole doujin-y/community aspect that people get invested in?