don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    So the plague is extended beyond. Btw, I'm not talking about the quality of the sound, even if that also plays a part but of course it makes it even worse.

I can't remember anyone other than me mentioning it constantly. I might not read the topics you post in. :psyduck:

2. I've certainly gushed over it, especially when praising Fumie's contributions to SA's OST and how badly I'd love for her to return for just one more game... maybe we'll get a real SA3 after this.

More on topic: I thought Forces' OST was a step in the right direction overall, and Frontiers seems to be continuing in that direction. I've never been much a fan of predominantly orchestral scores, and the reliance on rock has overstayed its welcome. We all have different tastes and all are warranted, but I really want more EDM in my Sonic.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  3. A thing I also miss in Sonic soundtrack is Naofumi Hataya's "Samba" and the Pop-ish style he had, if you listen to the character select menu and Mystic Mansion from Sonic Heroes you will know what I mean.

And for the Orchestral songs, I'm fine with that, because... I actually think it sounds epic lol. But it would neat to have some Orchestra mixed with Rock, we all know that Rock + Orchestra goes VERY hard. Maybe we can expect it from Tomoya Ohtani, because it sounds something like he would do.

4. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member

Thoughts? (There are no spoilers in the footage or voiceover BTW, he only shows and mentions official material.)

Some bits of this video were a little cringey honestly, but he's probably right about the general idea, at least in my opinion.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Well I think these Knuckles and Tails renders have only recently popped up and we’ve seen Eggman and Big renders previously. I don’t think they’re necessarily indicative of each character’s significance and I doubt Ian would short change Amy given his own complaints about the handling of the character.

6. MH MD

MH MD

It will have 6 CDs

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Further to this, Amy is the only other character that we've officially seen in the game so far, and Knuckles if you count the upcoming prologue animation that we've all forgotten about. Amy has shown up in other promotional material, just not the standees in this specific instance. The story definitely involves the main quartet and Eggman, with Big being the only character seemingly there for no good reason (which is exactly how Big should be handled).

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Less than one month to go now! I don't have anything particularly new or interesting to share here, but I just wanted to reflect on the these pre-release days one last time, because this is all going to be behind us soon haha.

Overall this is probably the most hyped I've been for a sonic game...maybe ever?
    I really do love everything here, with the obvious exception of the Green Hill/Chemical Plant tumours that I guess are gonna be in every sonic game until the heat death of the universe :V

I'm also not the biggest fan of the boost gameplay, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all to have it here, to be honest.
    The open world will give me my fill of adventure style gameplay, and the cyberspace stages could be a nice distraction to mix things up and take a little break from all the exploring and battling. I think this is honestly a natural conclusion for the boost gameplay: a little distraction from a main, beefier game. My main problem with it isn't that it's bad, just that it's not enough, y'now?
    Frontiers might just honestly reconcile me with the boost, after years of being grumpy towards it ever since colours :p

Otherwise love the soundtrack, love the more realistic aesthetics harking back the the 2000s' games, love what we've seen of the plot, love super sonic, love the soap shoes, love the enemy design, love the combat...

And more importantly, it all feels genuine. Forces was an attempt at catering toward the adventure kids like me with the general tone of the game and a few callbacks, but it all felt so...shallow. Pontac and Graf still wrote the game, the gameplay was still an unfortunate mix of boost to win and 2D blocky platforming, it was still so painfully short, still controlled poorly...
    And I feel we could all see it clearly even in the pre-release days, to an extent. I know it's a dead horse at this point, but classic sonic being in the game still keeps me up at night. Why is he here???

Knowing sonic team, I was scared they were gonna bail out on the more serious tone after Forces' lukewarm reception, but I'm glad they stuck to their guns. This game, for the first time in years, genuinely feels like the sonic I know and love is back (and I'm not saying this to criticise any game or era! We all love sonic here, no one interpretation is more valid than the rest)
    Anyway! sorry for the rambling :V

TLDR; Frontiers makes me happy and I already know I'm going to love it. It might be too early to say that of course, but I've always been really good at figuring out if I'm gonna like a game or not before release, so...I'm not worried :P

Only 28 days left!

9. Kyro

Kyro

i fucking love when big is just, there. Divorced from his playstyle in SA1, i really do enjoy big a lot.

And, yeah, I'm just very ready to have the game in my hands, genuinely can't wait. It could still end up just being okay, or average, but its doing a lot of things ive wanted from sonic in a long time, and I hope this can set a good ground work for sonic games going forward. If frontiers is good, I would love for them to build on it, make more open worlds that use iconic sonic geography, or return to level based games that are MUCH more open and better to control.

I know some folks dont like that idea though, and I can only hope if they stick to their guns and truly do use this as the foundation, sonic team finds ways to incorporate some of those elements people arent getting here. Would love another game with a dedicated spin dash button, even if the boost has seemingly replaced it for 3d sonic. Or less emphasis on combat. We'll see what happens

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Also just a little detail, but I just subscribed to the newsletter with a second email account (I need them soap shoes for my switch version too :V), and the email this time specifically mentioned them.
    Guess they just hadn't updated the generic "welcome" mail yet when they started the promotion

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List

11. Also, Amy has a standee too lmao.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I couldn't give a shit about Monster Hunter no matter how hard I tried, but I gotta say, we're up to four different cosmetic DLCs (including whatever the heretofore-unrevealed preorder one is) and that's extremely encouraging towards the idea that there's a bunch of unlockable ones. It's seeming more like the Forces DLC items by the day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'm not sure how I feel about all of this pre-launch DLC. It's free, but like with the Banana Mania DLC, it's going to be delisted within a year, making preservation a pain.

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

Is it bad that it makes me wish Caliburn and Excalibur Sonic were unlockables just for the heck of destroying things with a blade in combat that isn't waggle?

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    The cooking minigame appears to take place in Big's pocket of Cyberspace. It's the same area as shown in this video, check the line of flowers in the back:

I wonder what function it'll serve, if it will have any impact on gameplay or just for fun.

17. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I do wish they used this fit for Sonic instead since I think it looks less visually busy, but I also understand that's like the iconic armor of the series

upload_2022-10-10_19-24-26.png

I'm curious if we're going to get more collab costumes. Stuff like that is very fun to me, lol

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  19. MH MD

MH MD

Finally, it’s sonic turn.
    In the past there were mon hun collabs with sonic, with Sonic DLC in MH games, one in 3DS game -with hideous sonic skin for the “cat” companion- , another collab was more recent with MH rise I believe-the latest MH game-

20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member