don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. If we find enough clues in the blurry pics, spectrogram of the shaky cam videos and by piecing together every fourth letter from all the instances Iizuka name-dropped Sonic Adventure 3 the top secret location of the mythical long quills final build will be revealed.

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    You do know every other game in this event that isn't Street Fighter 6 is under the same NDA, right? Capcom is letting them because everything got leaked already, lol.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait until the next week where impressions are given before I jump the gun. I feel everyone is being extremely kneejerky (Which I mean, I get due to limited information that aren't from leaks), but I'm kinda tired of seeing people thinking "Asset Reuse = Lazy".

It's pretty normal for games to do that. Several Sonic games before did that and I bet BOTW 2 is doing it as well. If you're upset that it's possibly Green Hill again, then you should be more mad at them reusing level themes and ideas over them reusing models.

Because graphical wise? I think it does look nice. If this is a case of them redoing past stages, I'm disappointed but glad that they're making stages look organic again Instead of very video game-y looking levels like Lost World or Forces.

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Is this seriously the state of marketing for Sonic games now?

How has what's supposed to be a showcase IP for one of the biggest videogame publishers in the world devolved into having fans frantically scramble for scraps from blurry, out of focus, technically "unauthorized" footage from the press? (Some of which was actually highlighting other games and merely caught footage on Frontiers by accident?)

It's like Frontiers has now evolved into some sort of cryptid, where seeing the game in the wild is now more of a story than the actual game itself. (And if that's the intended goal--apologies to the PR group that's there, but the old marketing team did this with the Werehog in Unleashed already, and the execution was leaps and bounds better.)

I thought the series hit advertising rock bottom already with games like Forces and TSR, but I'm astounded by how we're straight up tunneling into the earth here with Frontiers. SSUK's comparisons about how people captured footage of videogame showcases from the 2000s is apt--what we are seeing here is literally from a bygone era. Virtually no reputed studio/publisher is this cagey with public demos of their games anymore. Street Fighter 6 isn't due for next year, and it's running laps around Frontiers with what Capcom has shown and what they're allowing people to discuss about the game.

Even presuming IGN's exclusivity is playing a role here, this breaks willing suspension of disbelief. At what point does Sega bite the bullet and start promoting Sonic in the same league as throwaway licensed tie-in videogames, where games are unveiled with scant footage/screenshots a month or so before release?

I'm also calling it right now--Sega's going to pull another Boom/Forces, where they're not going to release any reviews copies/codes up to the 11th hour (if they even do so at all). Maybe even enforce a review embargo too, just to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Oh jesus

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Ignoring our personal feelings for a sec, its been pretty clear the Sonic fanbase has been exhausted from the constant reuse of iconic locales. Green Hill has been in every game since Generations, which was ten years ago.

I cannot exactly blame people for being tired of it. Its the same reason people got sick of Mario games using their same aesthetic.

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I can't blame people for being tired it, but I can be confused why we're throwing our Dreamcasts into an active volcano and prepping for the apocalypse when we literally only have 2-3 seconds of completely botched footage of the game in the background of someone's phone recording.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    I'm still on the belief these are original levels. Considering all the 4chan leaks that matches up with the game pretty well, I feel they would've pointed it out that these "cyberspace" levels are redoing levels from past game, y'know?

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    There was actually a leak saying something like that at one point, but the only thing that's been confirmed other than the stuff lifted from other leaks is that Rangers was not the final name, and you could've guessed that

9. Because Sonic fans be crazy yo.

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

Because it’s not just these clips. Folks have not liked the 14 mins of gameplay that’s been shown off and they are aggravated about Sega’s secrecy regarding the cyberspace levels and story in addition to the last decade of mainline Sonic games heavily reusing locations/designs from previous games.

If you’re excited about Frontiers then great. I’m not trying to take that away from you. But these clips appear to be confirming people’s worst fears. And having seen these clips they have a strong resemblance to GHZ and SS. If these levels are new then Sega should’ve showed them off to not risk misinterpretations

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's the perfect storm of basically every possible thing the jaded side of the fandom can't help but be annoyed by.

I know we're repeating the same crap last week where people were complaining about people complaining too much, but it really is Sega basically mishandling the marketing to the umpteenth degree because they're seemingly paranoid of the backlash and lacking confidence in truly showing their product outside of a controlled environment, and a highlight of Morio Kishimoto and Takashi Iizuka refusing to stop doing the same crap we're so tired of.

For a series that is allegedly supposed to "never look back" and keep trying new things, they can't even trust their own footing before doing it yet again.

12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It's possible that the levels seen are described in this leak? That'd make more sense than just lifting themes completely. It also describes a Demon Slayer-inspired boss

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I've been running around the same small district of Japan in Yakuza for about ten years now, so for as much as I'd love to get around to revisiting some other old tropes / locations in this series instead...as long as the levels are fun and it feels worth going back to the usual suspects I can't get too bent out of shape, I guess.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

On paper I don't hate the ideas they seem to propose here. But everything always sounds better on paper and in that mystical leak form before it rolls out before your eyes.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's probably just a green hill lookalike, ala emerald hill. Doubt they'd have the gall to outright say it's green hill.

16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Spring Valley....

Nights Into Dreams :)

17. MH MD

MH MD

Since the leaks seems to be proven true with each day, they specifically said in the past that the zones are "like Green Hill" and "like Chemical Plant", not reusing them, but more like reusing their tropes and theme, which i don't mind

Not one leak said "oh yeah they are just using GHZ again lmao"

18. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    The first thing I thought when I saw it was, "Oh, it's a little different. Looks nice." I actually get Emerald Hill feels from it, likely due to the general blockiness of it. It's just too blurry and brief to really tell.

I am glad the game looks like more than the BoTW environment we've seen until now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah I think it’s way too ambiguous to declare it either Green Hill or something else at this time and I think people are becoming way too cynical for their own good.

20. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I think people have a right to be cynical when we haven't had an actually good sonic game developed by sega since generations 11 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List