don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    So, Yahtzee from The Escapist was going to give us Sonic Colors to watch, but after being introduced into a "torturing, bullshit" cut scene after a couple of levels, he pretty much said Fuck it and change the subject. I was a bit surprised he considered Sonic Unleashed's opening cutscene as bullshit, but then again, he is Yahtzee...

So today, iPhone. Maybe next week.

2. Oh, that thing from their 404 page?

It loaded just fine for me. But it doesn't matter.

Damn hackers are pushing me back off the top 20... FFFFFFFFFF

3. Vantoggle

Vantoggle

From what I can tell, Yahtzee is fiercely anti cutscene in general. Anything that takes a game away from being an interactive medium and turns it into a movie. He has a point, but then again you can easily skip the cutscenes without missing out on what's going on. Actually, they could have sold 'Colors at a discount without the cutscenes and people could still play the game without getting confused.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    As far as Yahtzee goes, he said that it was off to a good start before the cutscene started, so I'm pretty optimistic about his opinion of the game.

5. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I kinda agree with Yahtzee on this, the first to continuous acts where fucking awesome, they should have keep it that way. But still Yahtzee is kind of a douche when he comes to Sonic, but who can blame him after all the crappy Sonic games?

6. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

Off topic, but couldn't they just give Fang an advanced raygun or something? Like from Sci Fi movies and whatnot? It wouldn't be out of place in the games at all, and it could just be used as a projectile taser sort of thing.

7. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    if you read his little 'credits' bit at the end, you'll find "For what it's worth, Sonic Colors is better than Unleashed, but then so is pushing a rusty spoon right through the palm of your hand."

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So...he likes but hates it?

Guess getting mild credibility from yahtzee is better then going off the wall anal and ripping colors a new one!

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think he's saying that being better than Unleashed doesn't really mean much.

10. Jay T.

Jay T.

Something tells me though Yahtzee is going to get quite a bit of a certain kind of mail if does he rip Sonic Colors a new one. I mean, it's gonna happen, but then again, does he really give a shit? God knows how much he has to deal with already.

11. Pro tip: It's Yahtzee's job to rip a game apart and make fun of it and call it terrible in so many words. No one would watch him if he gave good reviews all the time.

12. Jay T.

Jay T.

Oh, I know that. I guess what I meant to say if he rips it a WIDE ONE. You know people will bitch about it. But as I said, it's been happening before, probably now, and I'm sure he doesn't give a shit. Eh, oh well.

Anyway, I know there's a couple of DS exclusive Wisps like the Fire one, and that...purple looking one. What does that one do exactly? It seems odd to have two purple wisps, unless that's a different shade of purple or something...

13. The Purple Wisp is the Frenzy power. It lets you eat things.

The Violet Wisp is the Void power. It lets you suck up things.

14. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Anybody else feel completely underwhelmed by Asteroid Coaster/Terminal Velocity? For zones that are supposed to close out the game, they're very short and boring.

15. You must mean in terms of gameplay. In that way, they are a little underwhelming.

In terms of spectacle, they are among the best in the game. Running around Saturn's rings? Homing asteroids? Running down a huge tower back to earth dodging the exploding station?

Amazing.

16. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I might have felt that way if I didn't game over five times on Terminal Velocity

17. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Yeah, didn't care for Asteroid Coaster too much. I liked the Motobug Carnage on Saturn act, though. :P

Terminal Velocity... should have been more intense... but I really like the final boss battle enough that I usually fight him everytime I load the game.

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    After completing Asteroid Coaster, I actually assumed there'd be another -full- zone because it was.. too easy.

I guess this might be what SEGA meant by "for kids." In a way, the level difficulty of each level feels like Mario Land 2, in which every worlds difficulty is around the same.

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I never noticed it that much with Asteroid Coaster, but Terminal Velocity's length was in its incidental difficulty. I died several times on the giant enemy crab thing coming after me, mostly because when I got to the part with the motobugs coming it to try and shake me up, I'd run to far away from the purple crabbot and then get hit by a laser I couldn't see. The trick is to not outrun him that much and you'll be fine.

For a chase stage, it wasn't bad. It was a nice build up to the final boss, but I suppose there could've been more challenge to it. There could've been more challenge to the final boss, but he was still a good final boss. I thought Act 2 was too short in comparison.

I'm still expecting a full review of Colors from Yahtzee. I consider his iPhone video a brief reprieve.

20. Nix

Nix

"Watch out! It's that one guy!" Member
    So I got this game last week Wednesday and have been playing it for awhile.

I love it.

Well the 2-D sections any ways. The 3-D sections for the most part were bland, dull, and an overall improper use of a 3-D environment. They might as well of been 2-D.

Currently collecting Red Rings, almost done. I only have about 25 in Asteroid Coaster to find. Seeing how the ones in Aquarium Park were annoying to find, I expect nothing but pain from Asteroid Coaster.