Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
  2. Rounds out to be .85 or 85% or an 8.5, depending on how you look at it. In any case, good for the game.

I can't take Famitsu seriously though, I recall them giving Sonic '06 a pretty high score, but I can't seem to find a source of it.

3. corneliab

corneliab

Famitsu is pretty much a joke as far as reviews go.

Are Eurogamer's reviews region-specific? Because that 9/10 review is apparently from Eurogamer Italy.

:/

4. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    While not a primary source: they gave it a 29/40 for the PS3 version.

Could be possible they got the same treatment as that one reviewer, who was told that the glitches and loading times would be gone by final release.

5. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    So, did we finished getting all the Emeralds already? I got all the Special Rings in Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain, only one Chaos Emerald, though.

As far as I know, currently Dusk Golem is in the lead, since I only have 121 Special Rings... Unfortunately, I only have available time to play at night, otherwise I guess I would've gotten more stuff. Also, I couldn't help it, and beated the game. The game is way too short, and in comparission, I spent more day to finish Knuckles' Chaotix for the first time than Sonic Colors. Even Unleashed; I finished it in a week in the least, and Sonic Colors in 2 days... :S

Then again, to me, Sonic Colors is the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

6. corneliab

corneliab

Doesn't seem like it- no one has piped up in this topic so far, and there's no sign of any footage.

Understandable though, seeing as how this game probably makes you do the most for Super than any other title in the series.

7. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
  8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It definitely sounds like its taken the cake from Sonic Advance 2. I've maybe made it into a special stage once in that game. The difference being, it looks like each Act saves however many red rings you had so you can just go back and pick up the ones you missed later, thus, keeping the game fun. Smart way of doing things, I can't wait to get my hands on this.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    The script's hilarious. And I only watched the first two cutscenes. Man, it's amazing how full of life and expression Sonic and Tails are now compared to Unleashed and, well, anything before that. It's quite exhilarating. It's entertaining for videogame cutscenes; almost good enough to be it's own cartoon show.

10. Yup, that's what I was looking for. 30/40 for the Xbox 360 version, so I was wrong. Seems like it was quite higher than that, but it still doesn't change my opinion that Famitsu is a bit of a joke.

11. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    If memory serves, Famitsu used to be quite stingy with their scores. They seem to have gotten a lot more lenient in recent years. Oh well. Nice to see Colors getting a positive reception. It got a bit tiresome seeing nothing but scathing reviews in the past.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow I watched the first 4 cutscenes and so far they are actually pretty good. I'm shocked really. Also the voice acting is much better than in previous games, as well as the script, which is miles better than the previous games

13. These cutscenes really remind me of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Eggman with some crazy far-fetched overdone scheme, 2 dumb robots, an overly cocky Sonic with stupid but still somehow funny jokes, and Tails tagging along but not doing much else.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I caved and watched the entire game via livestream, and from the look of it, it's the best Sonic game we've had since S3&K by several miles and about thirty-three-point-six hundredths of a lightyear. (That's rounded down, by the way.)

I love the cutscenes in this game. The "Well I'll just stick with aliens" line is the exception to the rule; most of the jokes made me chuckle, either being genuinely funny or cases where the game is cognizant that the characters are trying too hard to be witty (Sonic is nothing less but a child-friendly Dante in this game whenever a boss cutscene comes up, and the game plays even that fact for humor on a few cases). The banter between Sonic and Tails provides such a buddy-buddy relationship for the pair that if E-122 Psi still has anything to complain about on that point, I'll eat the Sonic hat that comes with my pre-order.

For my money, if they make a teeny bit more effort on the "let's not be TOO cheesy" front, sticking with this particular avenue of storytelling for the series would be a very good idea.

There are a few acts which fall pretty short in my book, either because of hyper-shortness, Marble-Zone-esque buzzkill levels, or some particularly visible corner-cutting on the part of designers, but on the whole, the game looks awesomely fun.

As a side note, I didn't actually spot anything that looked cheap, but of course, LOOKS aren't really indicative of cheapness... I'll have forgotten where everything is by the time I actually play the game, so I guess I judge that aspect in a week.

Just make sure to remember that when you die, you lose any Red Rings you may have found after the last checkpoint, and have to pick them up again. The checkpoint saves the ones you picked up before, but you have to get the others again.

15. corneliab

corneliab

Anyone know if a strategy guide or something's going to be released soon?

16. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    It's usually a week or two after official release, guides should be up on late november/early december.

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
  18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
  19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    A question, has it been confirmed if Colors is running on a modified Hedgehog Engine (SUHD), an upgraded SUWii engine or a brand new engine?

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    inb4 Polygon Jim rages over the Hedgehog Engine

Depends, are you talking about gameplay or rendering/lighting? I'm pretty sure that the PS360 Unleashed engine is being used for gameplay. As for lighting, I can't give you an answer on that.