don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Vertex

Vertex

Define 'normal'.
    Anyone see the dimmed-out wisp capsule at 1:25? I'm guessing that it means the wisp hasn't been found yet.

2. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    It's mainly things coming together. First was on Sonic Stadium we were talking about if each stage has it's own unique music in each act, and I was saying my theory is that each stage has 3 songs per zone since each stage has 6 acts which would mean each song gets played in 2 acts each, and then that would allow for the three songs to be retro-ized for an act in the Sonic Simulator, which has 7 zones and 3 acts. Dread randomly commented by quoting my theory and saying I got it exactly right. Now I always thought people thinking there were six zones and a final zone seemed weird, since there's clearly seven worlds on the Sonic Simulator, and on the stage map there are seven selectable (albeit locked) stages seen, except on the Japanese stage map there is one area which looks like a flashing rainbow star that has not been seen on any other map and in all likelihood that is our "final stage". This would also work if there are seven chaos emeralds available per stage since it's been more than hinted there are seven that are collected ourselves and not just part of the story like in Unleashed or Adventure 2.

On the map screen, we know the Satellite is an options menu, the Sonic-Headed world is Game World or the Sonic Simulator, and the flying Eggman Ship is actually a multiplayer mode. The central part of the chained planets is Tropical Resort, then around Tropical Resort there are 5 planets chained up and a tower. We know the five planets are Sweet Mountain, Starlight Carnival, Planet Wisp, Aquarium Park, and Asteroid Coaster. We have not seen anything about the giant metal tower stage that is locked in Dread's videos but that is the seventh and likely final regular stage, which I am guessing is our "Eggman Base" stage in this game. THEN, since it's more than suggested Chaos Emeralds are collectible in the game, I am betting the rainbow star is our final-final stage.

For each of the seven regular stages are know there exists 6 acts and a boss, and then each stage as well has 3 music pieces for it's acts PLUS a piece of music for the map select screen. We don't know if bosses too have their own unique themes or not but logically there would be at least one boss tune and one final boss tune.

7*6 is 42 stages, then a final zone (not sure if stage/boss or just bosses) makes 43, and if you combine the other 7 boss acts from each stage, the regular game should be 50 stages long. However, add in the 21 Sonic simulator stages and hat number gets jumped up to 71. IF anything beyond that, not sure.

3. I'm trying to rent games more, thus saving money and still getting to play new titles. However, Colors is probably going to break that trend, which almost sucks. It's still really weird to see Sonic getting praise again, but it's about time. :thumbsup:

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Eh? I thought it was a "visit all levels in order" mode.

It's the purple OM NOM NOM Wisp, which means all those breakable stone blocks next to it are likely also eatable stone blocks.

5. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

First of all, Dread also just confirmed that the game's hints can be turned on and off on the options menu, like in Black Knight which is why they don't appear in his videos.

I believe it does that too, and it might not be multiplayer but the way they word it is a bit weird, in the NP preview mentioning that 2-players can team up on the Sonic simulator or challenge each other in the Egg Shuttle.

Also, since one must doubt his own theories to find the best one, I will be the first to say there is a potential flaw in my stage theory. If you look at the main map there is 180 red rings to be collected and a total of 44 S-Ranks to be obtained. Each stage (not including boss acts) have 30 red red rings. 180/30=6 which would suggest 6 worlds. ALSO with 44 S-Ranks and confirmed boss stages get ranked, 6*7=42, and that would allow the tower stage to be also a 'Final Stage' and a 'final boss' like Eggmanland in the 360 version, a very lengthy final stage and a set of bosses graded as one for the final boss. And the final stage could have more than one piece of music as Eggmanland still had two pieces of music in the 360 version even if it was only one stage. This could mean the seventh act could use three songs that are in the final stage still and that could work. This would make it unknown what the rainbow star is, but it could still very well be the Super Sonic zone.

If the second theory is correct, then that would mean 6*6 makes 36 regular stages, plus the 6 bosses make 42, then final boss and final stage makes 44.

6. The music in this game (especially Planet Wisp) is giving me a Sonic CD vibe. Planet Wisp kinda reminds me of a good future song.

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Tropical Resort gives me Green Hill vibes (of course; with the checkers and palmtrees) and Planet Wisp gives me insane amounts of Spring Yard vibes (nature and machine intertwined like a construction site, moving platforms in similar fashion, rusty red theme going on). Planet Wisp is basically Spring Yard 2.0 minus the massive bumper amount.

8. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    For some reason, I got a bit of a Palmtree Panic vibe, myself. could go either way, really.

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    As far as Planet Wisp goes I'm still getting more Launch Base Zone vibes than anything, though I can definitely see where one could get Spring Yard Zone.

10. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

You all are wrong, it's obviously

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0k7dGyZIDh4#t=1m20s&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0k7dGyZIDh4#t=1m20s&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->

^the Dome the Planet Wisp boss happens at looks exactly like the Dome from Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 which ironically was the place of the first boss in that game. Then the stage looks like a mixture of

and

(on the second video particularly when you get out of the caves)

(in terms of gameplay it looks like a few stages, but it is it's own thing after all)

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly the stages looks like Azure lake after going under the Launch Base Zone treatment. However that's pretty badass IMO so I don't mind at all

12. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Hmn...

I can kind of see it.

13. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    It looks like the poison water levels in New Super Mario Bros/Wii.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Sweet Mountain Zone Act 2's music is fucking incredible. Especially the guitar riff at 1:09.

I dunno why, but it reminds me of the US Sonic CD soundtrack.

15. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

And I just noticed you hear more of Sonic in act 1 of the Wisp video when he's jumping rails.

I like it.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Just watched the Planet Wisp 1 video again.

"This area is off-limits as it is still under construction and may not be dangerous enough for visitors yet."

I love this game.

17. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I think it's safe to say that I'll be getting a Wii because of this game. The gameplay footage looks great, it reminds me of Sonic Unleashed's stuff. Although I only had the PS2 version, it was still an acceptable game to me. Colours is going to be the game that shows those players who have found Sonic games becoming worse that the franchise is still good when it can, and this is an example. Yes, it has Wisps, but does it really matter?

The Unleashed/Colours structure definately blows away the level structure of games such as Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog. This Sonic Team knows what its doing, even though it's being headed up by Takashi Iizuka. The music in this game is great and it's why this sound team needs to stay for a few more games. I'd definately take their orchestral-style music to Jun Senoue's guitarfest.

As for the DS version, I'm sure people want another Sonic Rush. It's just got a different name and has more functions rather than CONSTANT BOOSTING. Great to hear that the music is also similar to the Wii instead of the usual Rush stuff.

The fanbase may be disappointed in one Sonic game that has come out this year, but Sonic Colours will be the better one that people want to play without facing silly glitches and other issues.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Hm. Maybe a kind of Super Mario Bros. players-take-turns sort of multiplayer?

19. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    A Part of Sweet Mountain act 2 sounds a lot like the Exercise theme from Mean Bean Machine.

Compare 0:46 in this track

To 1:06 in this one.

20. The game is fantastic. Half of its appeal is its amazing music. Who composed this? (Could it really be Jun Senuoe?)