don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

They'd probably call Sega lazy if they displayed just a list.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I didn't hear anyone other than Yahtzee call out No More Heroes 2 for doing exactly that, and I didn't hear much mention of it in Unwiished's reviews, either. (And those lists actively wasted your time, as well.)

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This. I don't hear it being mentioned about the Mario games, nor the original Crash Bandicoot. Sure, it may not add to the cinematic element of the game, but I don't feel it will detract from it either. And it is head and shoulders above just a list.

4. glem3

glem3

I was saying critics may complain about something stupid like that, not that I would.

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Oh but those aren't Sonic, now are they? Complaining about shit no one cares about in Sonic games is easy pie, when there were Sonic Adventure XBLA / PSN reviews with lies in it. Some rated Unleashed below 06. IGN had the indecency of saying that the music was passable. Believe it, they might be glowing previews now but when it's all said and done and reviews come out, it's going to be slammed for the tiniest things.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Mind you, some of those were only because the gaming media in question had actually rated '06 higher than it deserved moreso than rating Unleashed lower than it should have been, but yeah... different reviewers, and all that.

7. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Iizuka said in his interview with SpONG that he believes Sonic should be more laid-back and fun, not gritty and heavy. No mention of which might appeal to what demographic; it's a general statement about how Sonic the Hedgehog should be for everyone. That Sonic is also mostly marketed to and depends upon kids is also a major factor in the direction, so I doubt they'll make dumbshit mistakes like "Hey, let's add guns and god-beasts and melodrama and useless RPG stats AND boring hub worlds filled with boring people, that worked so well for us around 2006."

As for Tails: I'm fine with him not being a lost puppy and an engineering prodigy. I just have a problem with him being a bit of an out-of-character coward. If you're going to cite SA1 to justify his independence, you might as well also cite it for his tremendous summoning-up to courage to take on enemies that were bigger than him without Sonic by his side.

In other words, I'd like to see Tails kick some ass. With GUSTO. No machines or contraptions required.

Having said that, though, I can accept that Tails can and will get overwhelmed and scared from time to time. With that assumption, I'll let the naturally-cowardly moment in Unleashed slide. That's about all I've got to say on him.

8. glem3

glem3

If you've forgotten, the reason they claimed to add the werehog in the first place is because "kids loved it".

Iizuka said that because sonic colors is getting good response and he wants to act like he knows what's going on. If he felt that way, he would've changed that after 10 years of "realistic" sonic games, heroes aside. That said, maybe the good response will make him stop with the darker feel, that's possible.

And no, I don't think now, because this one game is aimed at kids, that every sonic game from now on will now be aimed at kids, or as they said, 7-12 year olds.

It's no secret the fact that we liked this game was a shock to the team, which is my evidence that their intentions were in the wrong place all along. They did something we thought we hated and we liked it. Will they learn from their mistakes? Well, have they in the past? When they realize we like it, they'll try to change it to suit us, because they think that will be "better".

Critics will complain the cutscenes are childlike and the game is too easy, and sonic team will think that the solution for these are a darker game and more death traps, even if Iizuka claims otherwise.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Kids weren't the reason for adding the Werehog. They just happened to like it after the fact, and not everyone who wasn't a kid hated the Werehog's guts. Besides, that's not exactly helping your argument about making a Sonic game for older gamers means making a Sonic game that's shitty.

So, because Iizuka saw a good response from the game, he thinks future games should follow suit? How's that a false pretense? That's logical. And your second statement is erroneous because Iizuka was not the director of Sonic Team before Sonic Colors, so how could he have changed anything outside of doing his job?

Whether they learn or not and how is in the future. We'll find out soon enough. You have no guarantee that they'll try to change it to "suit us" the wrong way other than past blunders and failures.

If your last statement is true, then SEGA is incapable of winning and we clearly we need to grow up and get over Sonic. Critics, fans, the lot of us old fags. If we're letting a childish story get in the way of genuinely fun gameplay, or the game simply isn't for us anymore, then we pretty much are what Yahtzee says we are: "clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be satisfied with any concession you make to them," and "the sooner you shut out their shrill tremulous voices, the happier you'll be for it."

"Incidentally, why don't you buy a Yahtzee t-shirt."

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    This. "Sonic Team" as it is now has no idea how to stop trying to reinvent the wheel. They have no idea how to take a good thing and make it better unless someone yells it at them. It shouldn't take massive fan feedback for game developers to make sequels better.

Elaboration: Sonic Team thinks older fans want harder games, so the fear is that they'll do just that with crappy, superficial difficulty (bottomless pits galore!). They think older fans want mature, story driven games, so they'll add in a nice little story with religious/mythical symbolism.

11. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

That's what they said after the fact, when Mike Hayes was trying to justify his "There's this massive divide between 3D Sonic fans and 2D Sonic fans" thing, isn't it?

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    As it stands before this game releases, granted.

Basically what you're saying is they can't do anything right. Ever. In which case I direct you to my closing statement once again:

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I quit reading game reviews a long time ago. If a game is good, you'll just be able to tell. And if you can't tell, don't be a fucking sheep and trust every review you see. Some reviews are paid reviews, mind you.

Sonic Colors? Everything I see about this game just ties me in a fucking knot at how spectacular it looks. Therefore, the game will be good, I don't need a review in some snarky, sarcasm lined Gaming Magazine to justify my purchase. If it happens that the game may be good but I'm not sure, I live a 2 minute walk away from a small shopping center with a rental store.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    First off, I wasn't talking about Colors specifically. Second, I was talking about the argument that just because Sonic Team has made one potentially good game, it does not mean that they know how to continue the trend. The wheel, in this case, would be Colors.

Colors is right. Sonic 4 is, for the most part, right. I'm not saying that Sonic Team can't do anything right, but I am saying that they have a tendency to be a bit misguided when it comes to explicitly trying to appeal to the older crowd. The argument was that, should Sonic Team decide to capitalize on the attention from the older fans in future games building on the Unleashed formula, they will make the same misguided attempts at appealing to the older crowd as they did with previous games in the series.

Again, it is only an argument. I'd appreciate it if you refrained from calling me a clingy, complaining dipshit that can't be satisfied. I'm just advocating this side of the argument. I'm looking forward to Colors mate. Why would I look forward to Colors and at the same time accuse Sonic Team of never doing anything right? Please, let's keep veiled insults out of the discussion yea?

15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This is kinda odd to hear, considering that's exactly what colors is compared to Unleased.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    For the record, I feel genuinely sorry for any grown man or woman (grown = over 21 in this case) who can't enjoy a game made for children. For as long as I live, I'm going to keep playing games like Mario and still imitate his "wahoo!", keep playing Kirby and comment at how adorable he is, keep playing Sonic and start humming the Sonic tune or 'Live and Learn' in my head, and scoff at everyone who will still be so absorbed in the shallow gameplay of Call of Duty or whatever that they can't for the life of them pick up a game box because of that daunting "E" down in the corner (Or Pegi 7 or Cero A).

[/cheesyspeech]

17. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Eh. It could be argued that they did get it yelled at them this time too. Good praise is easier to take in than criticism, after all.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

The mark of a good company is one that listens to feedback. What, you'd rather they DIDN'T listen? Even Nintendo occasionally fucks up and needs feedback to figure out what's good. Case in point - Mario Sunshine. Took the feedback that the secret-of levels were ace and the rest wasn't so much. Made an entire game out of them, called it galaxy. Became one of the best games ever.

Sonic is just following in suit.

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

How much more yelling will it take for them to ease up on the dash pads, d'ya think? :v: