don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Hmmm... Mods to fix a ton of the issues I have with this version of the game would have been the only reason I'd have bought it, honestly. When I made my way to Colors, I was planning on buying Ultimate if it was up to snuff, but now just running the original in Dolphin is looking very adequate, and a lot more polished.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Oh my god. I was looking forward to this all day. Work couldn't end fast enough. I played through the story, went back through and got most of the red rings while unlocking stuff, beat all the Metal Sonic races, and then my save data corrupted itself.

Guess I'll start over tomorrow. What the hell.

If anything I got a huge laugh out of the credits. They just tacked all the new stuff onto the end of the old slow, horizontally scrolling credits and didn't add any music to pad the rest of it out so after a certain point it's just silent until the end.

3. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Welp. I was only considering grabbing Colors Ultimate if we got mods that addressed the original's shortcomings, but alas. Now I have little reason to buy a half-assed remaster of such an underwhelming game.

4. I don't have the game yet, so I've just been spending my time watching the internet collectively implode at the sight of this game as the Sonic Cycle continues.

5. _Sidle

_Sidle

The fact that it's Colours specifically taking a ride on the Sonic Cycle, the game famed for being the first to "break" it...
    Wonder if this will be considered a Very Important Period in the series immediate trajectory.
    vlcsnap-2021-09-04-05h43m47s922.png

6. The fact that this game is somehow still getting good reviews despite how horrible of a remaster it is just really says a lot.

I know none of these glitches and graphical issues effect the gameplay, but who the fuck looks at this stuff like this and think "Yea this is completely fine"

The fact that Sega is putting out a better remaster for Monkey Ball, but can't be assed to make sure their fucking flagship franchise gets better treatment is a joke lmao.

Fuck this game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    TWIP is a good Youtuber and he's only harsh on Sonic because he wants it to be great. No diffrent than Premy. None of the reviews made mention of how the load times were longer than the Wii, the slowdown and frame drops even on PS4/Xbox One, or the fact that the game is notably more buggy than the original.

We should be happy there are people out there unafraid to report on such things because I can't imagine a game this buggy with upscaled 480p cutscenes getting such high review scores unless something is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  8. MH MD

MH MD

The simple thing is , reviewers in general aren't good at reporting such things, but even if they notice, they usually just brush it aside cause they play an early copy without day 1 patch, a lot of cases the game they play isn't what customers actually play, so it doesn't make sense to report about bugs that potentially doesn't even exist in the final version

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Mana

Mana

Colors has a lot more tricky platforming sections than I remember and I mean that as a good thing. Maybe it's because I've been playing through Super Mario games all Summer but I appreciate how many of them require precision timing or really careful movement to do, especially when you're trying to earn Red Stars.

The issue with that is that this type of platforming is so un Sonic like that as much as I can praise the design I have to remember I play Sonic because it feels different from Mario, these are very reminiscent of the challenges in those games.

Also taking out D-Pad support for more accurate jumps in the 2D sections which I'm sure has been a thing since at least Generations is really messing with my muscle memory too. Hope that is patched in.

10. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So... I'm in the slightly unconventional position of never playing the original...

So for me this all new.

And I don't like it.

It's trying... it's trying really hard, but it just feels like a bit of a mess. I really tore into Forces for how odd the jumping felt, well... Colours is the same, there's a lot of automation and odd physics going on (nowhere near Forces levels) that I feel like I'm fighting against where the game wants me to go and where I feel like I should.

I can't let rip as Sonic, I either run out of wisp juice too quickly or a mandatory puzzle pops up and the level flow totally dies.

There's instances where I've no idea what's going on and totally lose focus of Sonic and what I'm supposed to do.

Clown jellybean pirate boss is an example of that. So much falls from the screen and sonic literally locks onto anything but pirate clown that it's too hard to focus on.

I'm just... frankly baffled at why this became a darling of the fandom for so long?

Specific to the remaster:

Playing on PS5 and... why is there lag in some of the game menus?

The cutscenes output to a full screen so... for all the good and negative of that is not the issue...

The issue is if you try to re-watch the cutscenes... there's no option to watch them full screen. Only in the tiny window.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The D-pad doesn't work in the levels? It works in the hub world, though that's the only place I checked.

12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    So I saw this. What is going on?

13. Mana

Mana

It does not.

14. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. corneliab

corneliab

It's pretty funny to me that the Switch version seems like it's going to be the version that most people will end up playing. And yet it's the one at 30fps and is apparently the most buggy. Something similar happened with Bloodstained in which the Switch version was the most popular despite being pretty heavily compromised relative to the other versions.

Frankly I'm getting pretty sick of developers sidelining Switch versions when it's pretty clear to everybody that their game is gonna mostly be played on that console. Give it some fucking priority! Hell, I would have rather this game had ended up being Switch-exclusive if it meant it would have been in a better state.

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    FINAL COLOR BLASTER

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I’m playing the Switch version and outside of a single crash and minor audio issues I haven’t encountered any bugs.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

Well, if some people do end up modding this, I hope they try piecing the original acts 1 and 2 together and fixing the motionless pupil bugs.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

If fucking Sonic '06 has an active modding scene... then yeah. This'll get modded eventually.

20. This game was created by the devil...