don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But... That animation doesn't make Sonic look like he's going faster than usual.

Sonic's legs are not visible in the figure 8 sprites because they were going so fast that something as thin as them would become invisible to the human eye, while the irregular red blur was caused by his feet because they're bigger and have a more vivid color.

It makes sense and, in my oppinion, they got their point across flawlessly. =|

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I love the sprite, but it looks like a normal run sprite. Speed up the legs and you got a winner, in my opinion.

3. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I have to agree. I mean it's your hack do what you want man, but the CD sprites were fine in my eyes.

Also the Sonic 4 running animation looks kinda weird for Sonic 3's sprite. Maybe it's just me.

4. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    That is a rather persistant misconception that people have: that Knuckles' stats are different than Sonic's or Tails in any of the Genesis games. Except for the jump height, or when super, they are not. From the Sonic Physics guide, running section:

If you browse through the disassemblies, or read the Sonic Physics guide, you will se that there are four important stats from which everything else is derived: top speed, acceleration, deceleration and jump strength. They are the same in all of the Genesis games, and are summarized by the following table:

Code (Text):
    1.                  Top                                        Jump
    2. Character        speed     Acceleration    Deceleration    strength
    3. Sonic/Tails      6 px/fr   3/64 px/fr/fr   0.50 px/fr/fr   6.5 px/fr
    4. Knuckles         6 px/fr   3/64 px/fr/fr   0.50 px/fr/fr   6.0 px/fr
    5. Super Sonic     10 px/fr   3/16 px/fr/fr   1.00 px/fr/fr   8.0 px/fr
    6. Super Tails      8 px/fr   3/32 px/fr/fr   0.75 px/fr/fr   6.5 px/fr
    7. Super Knuckles   8 px/fr   3/32 px/fr/fr   0.75 px/fr/fr   6.0 px/fr
    8. px = pixel
    9. fr = frame (1/60 second)
    This table is valid whether or not you are in normal game or competition mode. If you disconsider the obvious advantages of Super Sonic, the only differences between the characters are the jump strength, their double jump actions and their actual sprites. And contrary to popular belief, it is also true for Knuckles in Sonic 2.

The SCD peelout and spindash are also subject to similar misconceptions: the fact is that the only difference between them is that the peelout charges 15 frames faster than the spindash. They both go off at the exact same speed of 12 px/fr.

That is a problem, yes. But I can adapt the legs to the SCD-style top.

That might be true for the bottom part of the legs; but the top, which is attached to the hips, can't move that fast and should appear (even if blurred).

That sprite is based off of Sonic 4? Didn't know that. Damn it, I need to play some Sonic games older than S3&K... or hacks...

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait... no. I've just tried the competition mode and Knuckles can change directions faster and Tails accelerates faster but has a lower top speed.

Surprisingly, Knuckles does not have a lower jump in that mode.

6. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Hrm. As it turns out, you are right; I went looking in the S3&K disassembly and even found the table with the data:
    Code (Text):
    1.                         ;Top
    2.                         ;speed    acc   dec
    4. Character_Speeds:       dc.w   $600,   $10,  $20, 0        ; Sonic
    5.                         dc.w   $4C0,   $1C,  $70, 0        ; Tails
    6.                         dc.w   $580,   $10, $200, 0        ; Knuckles
    That is: Sonic's top speed is unchanged from 1p mode, while Tails' and Knuckles' are reduced (to 4.75 px/fr and 5.5 px/fr), all accelerations are increased (to 1/16 px/fr/fr for Sonic/Knuckles and 7/64 px/fr/fr for Tais). Meanwhile, Sonic has been crippled in terms of deceleration (a mere 1/16 px/fr/fr), Tails barely affected (7/16 px/fr/fr) and Knuckles is a deceleration god (2 px/fr/fr, twice that of Super Sonic). Edit: Jump strength is unchanged from 1p mode, except for Knuckles, for which it is increased to be the same as Sonic/Tails.

Altogether, I am not sure I like these stats; it would rather drastically alter the balance and feel of the characters, and would make Sonic uncontrollable -- he would take 8 times as long to stop from any speed. Platforming under those conditions would be extremelly hard, not to mention fighting bosses.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe just change the speed settings then and leave acceleration alone? Have to give Sonic some advantage, after all if Knuckles and Tails ran the same speed as Sonic in Heroes, why would you ever need to control Sonic when for the most part, given Tails and Knuckles normal move sets, they should be able to complete any level without Sonic (They also could have just flown Tails' plane to Eggman's base instead of just jumping out of it and crashing it into a rock but that's another story)

8. flamewing

flamewing

France
    I have increased Sonic's top speed by 2 px/fr for the next revision (although I could have reduced Tails/Knuckles by the same amount...). I also added some code so that Tails and Knuckles will share Sonic's stats (top speed, acceleration, deceleration and jump strength) when Sonic is in the lead. This helps the CPU keep up with Sonic, and also helps other human players -- they would be stuck watching Sonic go otherwise. Particularly after all emeralds have been obtained, given that Super Sonic leaves Super Tails and Super Knuckles eating dust.

9. dsrb

dsrb

I agree with ICEKnight and NomadTW on the peelout sprites. And is it just me, or does that first table show identical jump strengths for all of the main characters (6.5 px), with Knuckles only being less powerful (6.0 px) when Super?

10. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Well, that makes 4 already against those sprites (one by PM); I guess I will edit the SCD peelout and try to fix my objections against it then. And Re: Knuckles jump: my mistake (copy+paste without the needeed edit); I fixed it now. Thanks.

11. dsrb

dsrb

Well, as Ice said, it's your choice! I'm certainly no authority. :v:

12. Ryuki

Ryuki

The only problem I ever had with the SCD peelout sprites is that the "figure 8" looks untidy to me; but I certainly prefer it over that S4 run.
    Feel free to mess around with 'my' peelout if you wish; I know it doesn't fix the particular problems you had with it, but the offer stands regardless.

Please forgive the quality of these sprites, they are old.

http://postimage.org/image/1fvddci84/

13. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That... looks... GREAT. I will definitely be using your figure 8 feet, it adds a very nice volume to the feet. I will have to find a replacement color for your darkest purplish red (due to palette limitations) but yeah, I will be using it. Another one I considered using for the feet is the one from Deebs' Modern Genesis Sonic, but yours looks better.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    My major problem with the peel out is Sonic's arms. They are just too static and should have some bounce to them.

15. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    It wouldn't be too hard to give those arms some "bounce" to them, however I think the whole point of it was that the spikes are the only thing that show movement as he is moving so very fast.

That Sonic 4-esque animation looks horrible, though. Please, do not use that. Plus the arms have no "bounce" on them either. :U

16. Ryuki

Ryuki

Glad you like them Flamewing, sorry about the palette, these were originally for a fangame I had planned without palette limits.. xD;

If you need anything sprite related feel free to ask or PM me and stuff; I'd love to help.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    So, how is this for a peelout:
    [​IMG]
    (based, obviously, on Ryuki's) I know I haven't addressed my own complaints, but it looks damn fine. I will see about doing a version for Knuckles tomorrow.

18. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    So I just tried this for the first time. I gotta say, using Team Super like this is incredibly awesome. Kudos to you for managing what must be a vram nightmare.

I do wish Super Knuckles could be given a flying animation though. The whole "running in a super state" never sat well with me. However, I saw that was your choice, so have at it.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Or rather, it was Sonic Team's choice. =P

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    The actual VRAM nightmare was finding enough VRAM for Knuckles and his breaking/spindash dust and bubbles, as well as having enough VRAM for separate shields for Sonic and the others (due to shield specials and insta-shield). Once that was done, the team Super was nothing special.

As IceKnight said, it was a decision by Sonic Team, not me. Given how much art they already have for Knuckles, they couldn't have done otherwise without breaking up Knuckles' art into two files -- Knuckles gets dangerously close to the limit of $FFF tiles you can have for DPLC.

In other news: here is Knuckles' peelout:
    [​IMG]
    If any decent spriters want to touch up my poor attempt, please feel free to do so (and I can give the head/arms separate from the legs if needed). I based the head and quills on the gliding animation, making this a bastard half-breed or running and gliding -- which is appropriate, given how fast Knuckles' glides. I thought of keeping the hands forward as Knuckles does for gliding, particularly since Knuckles' arm vanishes due to it being the same color as his quills.