don't click here

Sonic Anniversary Celebrations thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mikel, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Mikel

Mikel

Twenty years ago, on June 23, 1991, Sonic the Hedgehog 1 was released on the Genesis, and it marked the beginning of one of my favorite franchises as a kid (I still love Sonic to this day, by the way). Happy 20th Birthday, Sonic! Let's hope this year will be your best!

What are you going to do for Sonic's birthday today? I know what I'm doing, I'm going to do some online races in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, as well as replaying through levels in Sonic Colors, as I am trying to get a couple of S Ranks in the game myself.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I will play the Generations demo whenever it decides to come up on the Xbox LIVE Marketplace.

Also it isn't his birthday until another two hours for me. :P

3. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica

happy 20th, you stupid fucking rat

in all seriousness, though, I've got high hopes for generations, ~the cycle~ be damned. here's to a whole bunch of improvement for sonic :)

4. Got this today:
    [​IMG]
    Recorded a special episode of Destroy All Slackers to celebrate as well

5. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    After I've recorded my playthrough of the demo and dubbed over commentary, I'll probably play Sonic 1 to celebrate.

6. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Happy B day,,,,
    Sonic,, :argh:

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I fucking love and hate you so much right now. :colbert:

8. gold lightning

gold lightning

I'll probably marathon all the Sonic games I own (except for Sonic 4) and also play super smash bros. brawl. I'm glad we've reached the 20th anniversary. This also reminds me of why I like the name Genesis so much. It means "The beginning", and I feel it's appropriate as it truly marks the beginning of an era. The Genesis may be gone but I am glad Sonic has lived on. I'm quite jelly of all of you who actually have a system to play the Generations demo on today.

And Kail I second JaxTH's comment.

9. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

PROTIP:

Next year, someone should draw a picture of Sonic chugging beer

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I'm going to be doing what any good Sonic fan will be doing today:

Playing Mega Man X3.

Just like I said at the Sonic Retro Box Social for Classy Peoples Afterparty, "Happy Birthday, Sonic. We wasted our childhoods on you."

11. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Happy Birthday Sonic! Ever since 1992 when I got Sega Genesis and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Christmas I've grown up loving you unconditionally. All the games, cartoons and the comics over the years have made me love you even more. May you have many more years of successful games, cartoons and comics in the future! Happy Birthday! :thumbsup:

I'm going to celebrate by playing Sonic 1, Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles in order. Afterwards I'll squeeze Knuckles Chaotix in there if its not late and Adventure 1 and 2 as well as Colours and Unleashed. I don't have a Xbox or PS3 so I can't enjoy Generations tomorrow like the most of you unless the demo comes out on Steam.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Now we need Sonic's face on some tits.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    [​IMG]

I've earned my right to complain and feel very bad about myself for having this much stuff. Crystal? :colbert:

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Shiit I want almost every one of those games! ;.; I don't own any of the gg/ms games due to not having a gg/ms :v: Also I love where Sonic '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog ended. xD Also I'm celebrating by hacking 2 "overlooked" (I think) gg/ms games. (Labyrinth and Blast, though I see why no one really likes blast, as the sprites and screen resolution are shit. :v:)

15. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Is that Shadow the Hedgehog I see in a trash bin?

Shame on you. That game was good.

16. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Don't feel bad be proud! I have almost the same amount of the Classics but not all the Modern games yet and I see what you did there....love where Sonic 06 and Shadow are...lol. :3

17. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Fuck, 20 years. Didn't seem that long ago when my parents were still married and I watched my dad playing Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive. + - We're getting old...  

oh and before I forget, in the nicest way possible. Happy 20th, you blue bastard!

18. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    The trashcan was fucking perfect. Fantastic.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    WAT? :psyduck:

The game was terribad. The boss fights and story were good to me though.

20. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    YouTube Memes
    Happy birthday, Sonic!

I'll be celebrating by recording the first episode of a Sonic CD LP. I would LP the Generations demo but a: I don't LP demos, and b: I can't LP anything console-wise without ridiculously annoying setup that I'm too lazy to bother with. It involved taking a monitor and a laptop off a table because my laptop's screen is completely busted.

I would do Sonic 2 first but honestly, I feel CD is best put before 2 because of it having a different type of spindash, and being Sonic only in terms of playable characters. I also might be doing a podcast episode on the anniversary of Sonic and talking about all the games I've played, which is basically all of them except more obscure or some spinoff titles (Chaotix, SegaSonic the Hedgehog, Pocket Adventure, Triple Trouble, or many of the other Gamegear/handheld games, Sonic's Schoolhouse, Sonic R, Sonic Jam and also Sonic Shuffle, Advance 1 and 3, the Rivals series, the Mario & Sonic series and Rush.)

For the record though, I have played other obscure or spinoff titles like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Labyrinth, Tails Adventure, Tails Sky Patrol, Sonic Spinball, Sonic Drift (I think 1 and 2?) Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, and of course the Sonic Storybook and Sonic Riders series (excluding Free Riders, since I refuse to get a Kinect).