don't click here

Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Saidian, Feb 12, 2012.

Which version will you be getting?

1. Xbox 360

61 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. PlayStation 3

43 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Wii U

52 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. Nintendo 3DS

23 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. PlayStation Vita

12 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. PC

116 vote(s)
    51.3%
  7. iOS

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
  8. Android

4 vote(s)
    1.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So far the only 3DS game that has gotten a patch was Mario Kart 7. I wouldn't count on it happening.

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    There was a patch for New Style Boutique some weeks ago but it's still a Nintendo game. Don't know if 3rd parties can put patches on 3DS.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    But wasn't the Sonic facebook page saying it was available now earlier today? :psyduck:

4. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

So I got the 3DS Version today, and boy, I have a crap of things to list about it during my first few hours of gameplay.

The framerate is stated to be capped at about 30 frames per second, but you'll be lucky to have remain above 20 for most levels, namely ones with a lot of things going on at once (which is most of them). The only levels that I can think of where the framerate didn't crap out most of the time were Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi) and Sunshine Tour (from the first game).

The mid-air trick system is unpredictable most of the time, you could be falling with nothing around you and still have a "Stunt Failed" moment, and sometimes the input on the d-pad for the tricks won't even be acknowledged at all, this is problematic for the flying sections which heavily rely on the tricks system for dodging obstacles and enemy attacks. Sometimes landing after doing a trick will cancel out your acceleration input, and you won't notice until the boost is done, it takes two or three attempts at pressing whatever your acceleration button is set to before the game acknowledges your input again.

The drifting has instances where holding it and the acceleration buttons at the same time cancel out the acceleration, slowing you down until you come to a complete stop unless you release the drift button or release and press your accelerate button again. I never had anything like this happen on the 360 version of the game.

The collision is sometimes unpredictable as well. The AI always seem to have weight priority over you, no matter who you play as. They shove you to side if you're going the same speed. Want to shove back? You can't, you hit them like they're a wall, only for them to shove you again (probably off the track). I had an instance in Tokyo-To (JSRF track ported from the first game) where one of the buses didn't have any collision at all, and I drove straight through it as if it didn't exist.

The music takes a hit as well. It's the same tracks as the big brother versions, but parts are noticeably missing in many tunes, yet present in others. Remember that "Super Sonic Racing" part of Ocean View's track? Or how about that "Back in Time" shout out in Sanctuary Falls? They're completely missing, which is understandable for file size limitations, but then the game has both parts of Galactic Parade's BGM depending on if you're in the air or driving, and the two sound identical sans the "opening part" of the second track. The half finished BGM tracks don't loop really well without those second parts, and you'll notice it in Ocean View and Sanctuary Falls if you're familiar with the "Sky Sanctuary" and "You Can Do Anything" tracks, which is more of nuisance than a hindrance. Oh right, some tracks lucky enough to keep their second half of their BGM will only switch between the tunes depending on what vehicle mode you're in. That cool second part of the Dream Valley level's BGM that's used when you're in the "boss areas" won't be playing during those parts, instead only playing for that brief time you're in the boat near the end of the lap. The cheerful upbeat tune used throughout most of the track just isn't well fitting for those psuedo-boss encounters.

That's all I really have to say for now. I know I missed quite a bit, I've ranted enough for one day, and I'm sure other people can point out things I didn't even bother to address.

5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Just to check though I really doubt it... regarding the frame rate, is there any way to turn the 3D off?

The Street Fighter game that launched with the 3DS had a setting in the options menu to disable 3D entirely. With it on, it ran at 30FPS, but off it'd go 60. The depth slider didn't have this effect.

For a game like this where they're struggling with the framerate anyway, it seems like a good idea to put that sort of option in.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  7. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Has anyone tried to use DXRipper on this? I don't have the game, so I don't know if it will work.

8. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    3D Ripper Max doesn't work on it for me, haven't tried any others but Ninja Ripper, which I think is the next evolution or somesuch of DXRipper, which works pretty well! There's a Generations mod that replaces the kart thing in Seaside Hill with Sonic's Transformed car ripped this way which is how I found out about that.

9. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    NinjaRipper works like a charm, definitely. A few people I know at KC-MM have already gotten out a lot of the characters.

They're sporadically sprinkled throughout the thread here: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=56613.0

The list so far, looking at the thread: NiGHTS, REALA, Ristar, Joe Musashi, the Billy Hatcher crew, Pudding, Ulala, Ralph, Kidd, Gum, Segata, the Burning Rangers, Aiai, Meemee, Wizeman, Shogun, and Spy.

10. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Oh, that's awesome, but it's mostly characters. I'm only looking for the vehicles.

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It's been a while since I've done something like this, but the mood's been chipper and this has been itching in the back of my mind for a while now. So, for your downloadable pleasure I present...

Back in Time - TransfoRmed Mix

12. dazzsheil

dazzsheil

Ireland
    Haha, me hacking games? GOOD ONE!
    I'll more than likely be buying the PS3 Version of the game....maybe the PC Version if I have a bit of cash left over. I do like the way that if you buy the game off of Steam, you get Heavy from Team Fortress 2 as an extra character (Kinda like Banjo and Kazooie in the original SASASR). It's really nice to see Valve and SEGA co-operating like this.

13. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    You don't need the PS3 version if you have a good PC and a controller. ^_^

Also, you actually get a combined character called "Team Fortress," which transitions between Spy, Heavy and Pyro for each vehicle.

14. Conando

Conando

Is not, in fact, Raphael Member
    Lynn, MA
    MarioMedia.net FTP
    And they're awesome. Seriously, their stats are freakin' grand.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    How come people don't want to play as the best character, Football Manager? :(

16. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Looks like guest characters are really stat-buffed in the game. Danica Patrick is my main character in the game, even if I despise her inclusion in the game , but I seem to win always if I use her.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That's not right.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Football Manager is the best character to me an I've not even played the game yet. I don't know what it was about that PC trailer but I NEED him.

19. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I know, it shouldn't be like that...but it does. It's overpowered at my hands.

20. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Welp, can't wait to play as Wreck-It Ralph in SSBB. :v: