don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. nesboy43

nesboy43

I was pretty excited for this game, I really enjoyed Episode 1 on my first playthrough, allthough my opinion about it did get worse each time. I downloaded the Episode 2 PSN demo and was incredibly dissapointed. Im never one who trashes Sonic for "not having enough speed" or whatever cause Sonic is about waaay more than speed. However, the first thing I noticed in the demo was that Sonic was moving way too slow. I went back to episode 1 to check, and sure enough he does go faster in episode 1 than episode 2. The level design for the area I played wasn't that good. There are lots of random springs bouncing you everywhere, I actually liked the physics in the first one alot better.

Im not pleased with this sequel and the demo convinced me not to buy it. Generations was a dream come true though, idk why they make Sonic 4 episode II instead of DLC for generations.

2. Hukos

Hukos

No one remembers Castlevania Legends, eh? Can't say I blame you, game was trash.

How about why the Sorrow games have the Castle popping up in Japan and not Transylvania and the BS reasons for it? Or why the hell Soma even is able to assume Dracula's powers at all?

Or why Maria and Richter's presence in Symphony of the Night makes any sense at all.

Or why the Castle appears in England in Bloodlines. Or why apparent non-Belmonts can even use the goddamned whip to begin with (Again, looking at you Bloodlines, and especially you, Portrait).

Or why in Symphony Dracula gets revived a meager 5 years after he was killed in Rondo, when Castlevania lore dictates it usually takes about 100 years for Dracula to come back from the grave. Yes, I know Shaft was working on reviving him, but who the hell revived Shaft?!

Consistency, what is that?

3. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Not to get too off-topic, but Portrait attempted to explain this. Presumably, there are very few who can defeat the soul of Belmont in order to use the thing. Without, it's just a whip -- as it was before the events in Lament of Innocence.

I'll agree that Sonic's timeline is less convoluted than CastleVania's. But also less interesting. Sorry.

4. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I'm just going to place this right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP0VSBL5hiA

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That's not a timeline question, that's a "this plot is freaking stupid" question. Totally different.

...In fact, all of your questions were. So your point isn't very well-made.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I don't like it. It sounds almost like elevator music now it with an unfitting electric guitar on top. The extension is very cool though.

7. Hukos

Hukos

It's not all that different from the Sonic 4 PR group trying to convince us that both Sonic and Knuckles' stories in S3&K happen at the same time, as far as I'm concerned. Which was the point I was trying to demonstrate.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Just think of it as a reference to the old manuals that tended to fudge up stories and leave it at that, or even a reference to Sonic the Comic, where Sonic and Knuckles' plot did occur simultaneously. That's what I do.

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Of course it is. You're just bugged by in-game events that don't make sense (at the very least to you). SEGA's PR guys are an extra-gameular... I know that's not a word, but I'm going to make it one for the next five seconds... source that's getting the in-game sequence of events screwed up in spite of in-game events that actually do hint at the order things take place in.

Also, none of what you said actually calls into question the order in which things happen, which is exactly what defines a convoluted "timeline." "Plot" and "timeline" aren't the same thing.

10. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I thought Ken fixed that already? or is still messed up? and did we ever check the JP site to see if the same mistake was made?

11. Hukos

Hukos

Meh, I've always considered the two (Plot and timeline, that is) to be at least similar enough that any differences between the two would be negligible. Which in that case, I suppose I'm wrong.

I honestly don't know.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah if I remember correctly from the old thread, Ken said for someone to point out the mistake and he would have someone at SEGA look into it and fix the error.

Wish I could remember what page it was on in the old thread...

13. nesboy43

nesboy43

So I played the demo the other day and posted a bad review about my experience with it. On a whim I decided to buy the full game anyways, remembering that the Sonic 4 E1 and Generations Demos were not that impressive at that the full build played alot better. I am incredibly glad I did. The game isn't perfect by any means but it is alot of fun and blows episode one out of the water. I really like that fakeout they do at the beginning of the first boss as a joke to say they aren't reusing old boss fights anymore. Im only about halfway done with the game but I like the physics and level design alot better this time around. That being said there are areas for improvement but it's a really solid game in my opinion. However, it has nothing on Generations :) .

The bumpers and boosters are there but its not any different or worse than S4:E1.

14. corneliab

corneliab

1. Legends was the retonned CV that he mentioned.
    2. The castle is in a solar eclipse during Aria, not Japan. The castle in DoS wasn't even Dracula's, nor was it in Japan.
    3. Richter got brainwashed by Shaft in part of some some nutjob plot to get him and possibly other vampire hunters out of the picture. Obviously, Maria went looking for him since he went missing.
    4. Bloodlines' first stage takes place in the ruins of Dracula's Castle in Transylvania. The last stage in England was a totally different place.
    5. In Bloodlines, it was established that the Morris family was related to the Belmonts. Portait of Ruin explained the extent to which they can use the Vampire Killer because of this.
    6. Dracula comes back every 100 year period no matter what. Doesn't mean that people can't try to get him back before then (this happens constantly in the series). Also, Shaft was able to come back due to imparting (part) of his soul into one of those fancy orb things he attacks with. This is why you fought him twice back in Rondo.

Your Castlevania analogy kinda falls apart when you can't even get the facts straight. The irony here is that Castlevania, timeline wise, is actually more defined and set-in-stone than the Sonic series is.

15. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    OK so I played through Episode II finally. In the end I personally liked Episode I better. Not for the physics but for the level design and tropes. The game was also much less frustrating for me. The part that annoyed me was the ice cave level filled with water where those walrus robots freeze the water so you have no way to get past them and you drown. It took a while to figure out how to destroy them before they freeze the water and even then it was kind of hard to pull off. I thought Tails' teamwork was pretty cool in this game though. I still haven't played Sonic Generations yet.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The only part when they will box you in is and the very end of the stage (that traditional Dimps design trait). The idea isn't to kill them at all, but to swim right past. You just go through the middles and don't get caught once.

17. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Unless you're Super Sonic, then you just charge through.

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I never thought I'd actually get all 7 chaos emeralds before ever beating Sky Fortress Act 1. Time to spam Sylvania Castle Act 1 for lives again... :/ I'm happy you can restart a special stage before it kicks you out. I wish I would have known about that ability sooner for Episode 1. I guess it just earned itself some replay value!

My biggest complaints are the cheap "GOTCHA" moments in the game. The damn ice walruses and Sky Fortress Act 1's boxes that are so bad ass that they fucking KILL even Super Sonic. Apparently he can breathe in space but can't ram through a damn cargo box in the air. Go figure.

I may be complaining, but I definitely love the game.....and I love to hate certain parts as well.

Also the one of two ring tease (thick rings) towards the end of Special Stage 7....priceless.

19. KeathalKrisom

KeathalKrisom

The ice walrus trap got me a few game overs because I was playing co-op with an inexperienced player and we honestly had to come up with a strategy to overcome these vile aquatic beasts, the 1 second delay on movement didn't help one bit.

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Since people are talking about it again, I figured I repost my feelings on this section.