don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I'm only just catching up on the Sega classics. the only sega systems I grew up with were the Game gear (Primary) and the Genesis (Secondary). I never had to doubt their seal until they used it on the Avatar item.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    iPhone version has been updated for Game Center. Have fun trying to get Untouchable AGAIN.

3. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    I thought they'd never update it! 2 months late is better than nothing, I suppose.

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
  5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The person who wrote that is a genius.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well son of a bitch that explains almost all of it. The excessive ceiling boosters, the lack of momentum, and a lot of other crap. Doesn't explain the obscene amount of friction or the shit level design in some places, but it does kind of explain at least why the game often plays like shit.

I thought this game was meant to be the return of classic Sonic like gameplay to consoles. So why build it for the fucking ipod?

7. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Nice try, but Occam's razor will strike you down.

The fact that S4 played as though Dimps are incompetent fuckwits doesn't require some strange conspiracy involving Steve Jobs and tilting everywhere. It's much better explained through the hypothesis that Dimps really are incompetent fuckwits.

Don't be fooled into thinking anything else.

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I thought the obvious similarities to the Rush engine were enough of a showing that they made it with a portable setup in mind.

Well, lets take note that it'd confuse the player to keep on moving when he stops tilting the controls. So for super-preciseness, they made it where if you tilt you go and if you stop tilting you stop. And there's the reasoning behind why the movement is so dead-halt.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No I'm not talking about that I'm talking about even if you are holding left while rolling for example, you slow down way too quickly. And as for shit level design I'm talking about Dimps fun little bottomless pit "challenges" of idiocy at the end of 70% of the levels.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think rolling also suffered from the tilt controls as well, but I believe that the other was just obvious Dimps level design, as well as the overuse of convex curves.

11. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    For some reason I highly doubt boosters and the homing attack exist solely due to the iPhone.

12. IT MAKES SENSE.

SEGA...please build this strictly for consoles and not IPhones next time.

Thank You.

13. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I have a question: Does anyone know if there were any people who worked on S4E1 that were with Dimps in their "glory days" (Pocket Adventure and Advance 1)? In other words, how much has Dimps changed since 2001? I'm wondering how Dimps managed to screw this up, when Sonic Advance 1 was pretty much perfect for what it was (it wasn't trying to be Sonic 4 and yet it's more Sonic 4 than the real Sonic 4 is). I'm suspecting that their employees had to have changed somewhat, because I find it hard to believe that the company that spewed out S4E1 is the same company that made Sonic Advance 1 back in 2001.

EDIT: @Slingerland - I actually wasn't talking about tilt controls at all, I'm just saying that Sonic 4 sucked overall and Sonic Advance didn't, and I find it rather strange that they were made by the same company, and I'm wondering what exactly happened to Dimps.

(wait was your post even directed at me?)

14. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    So, are you suggesting that all of these "changes" in Sonic 4: Episode 1 are due to tilt controls? Sorry, but those issues and "features" were already present in previous Sonic games. I have a hard time buying that logic.

We all know that you can make a great classic game on the iPhone anyway.

15. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Everytime I see that video I am saddened by what could have been. :(

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I just wanted to say that lately, in Splash Hill Zone on one of the many Springs that launch you up into a loop, sometimes when I press Down so I immediately go into a roll, Sonic curls up and rolls right back down into the spring.

Fun stuff when trying to speed run! Apologies if that's something everyone has found out, but it's only started happening to me recently.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Sonic Advance may be technically better, but I still find it boring as fuck. I think I feel the same way about Sonic Pocket Adventure, except that I'd rather play that than either Advance or 4. None of that says much about them, though, since I'd really rather just play the Genesis games. Maybe even the Master System and some of the Game Gear games, I dunno.

@Notch: I totally get the sentiment. Spoony felt the same way about it too, only even more pissed off.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Except for one major detail: the majority of these problems, especially those with the physics, momentum, friction, etc, were ALREADY PRESENT IN SONIC RUSH. When you consider that they're using a slightly modified version of Rush physics, this entire post falls apart.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

S4 wasn't made for iPhone first.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Why would a game marketed as the "console come-back of classic sonic gameplay" be developed on the iPhone first? That didn't make sense to me.