don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Cinossu, Oct 11, 2010.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Should I just make a bigger banner for this forum telling people that DIMPS are told what direction to go for Sonic games? Have you played Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3? What about Rush, Rush Adventure and Sonic Colours? They're fantastic games, and the Advance games-despite deviating in style each game- retain the same of what makes Sonic so awesome, and the physics are spot on, save for Advance 3 which has minor changes. What about Sonic Pocket Adventure? I haven't played that but I hear it's great, and the 2D DS games have always been good too.

face it, DIMPS have made great Sonic games, especially when the 3D console ones were shit at the time, and were the saving grace for me between Sonic Riders and Sonic Unleashed, when the games differed in style or became completely crap.

Sonic 4 is a problem because they were told to go in a different direction, didn't fix minor issues because they though the public were too soft and would buy it anyway, and because the marketing campaign sold it as a 'classic' game, instead of a differing but respectable sequel.

2. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    [​IMG]

3. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Definitely.

With my not having played Sonic Pocket Adventure, I only played Advance 1. Great game. Horrible character sprites though. Everything else after that was bad, however. They took a concept that had nothing wrong with it and fucked it over since Advance 2.

But I do agree with your point on their direction. But then again, who's the man in charge of the franchise at the moment? Exactly.

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sonic Advance 3 had improved level design. Advance 1 is still more solid though. I'd recommend playing Pocket Adventure though via emulator. It's a lot like Sonic 4 but with better physics (oddly).

5. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Hey Sparks, what did you think about Episode I? You played it, didn't you? You know, it sure would be embarrassing if you were judging the entire game by YouTube videos or something.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Hey PC2, thanks for blocking me on MSN like a pussy and then bringing your bullshit argument public, real mature

Sonic 4 is built on the Rush engine, I've played Rush. Same flaws. Even then, I shouldn't HAVE to play a game to make judgements on it.

edit: or better yet? Want to send me some money so I can play it? Since I'm a poor fellow as I've told you before!

7. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Eesh, I dunno what makes you say that. Sadv3 is easily the worst of the three at everything, let alone level design. Then again, I naturally hate it more than most of the games in the series. :v:

Sonic Pocket Adventure and Sonic Advance were really good games though, and they should be in Dimps' mindset for how future Sonic 4 installments should be like.

8. Sparks

Sparks

I guess improved in the sense that there were less bottomless pits. The only real bad occurrences I had were one section in Sunset Hill and Toy Kingdom. It got a bit heavier in Cyber Track and Chaos Angel, but it was still more tolerable then the dick moves Advance 2 offered.

I agree with you though, Sonic Advance 1 was really what DIMPS should base Episode 2 from. Pocket Adventure would be good as well, I always liked Gigantic Angel. For now though, only time will tell.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sonic 4 is POSSIBLY built on the Rush engine, and that in itself is by no means a bad thing by default- it's when developers completely rape the engine that things go wrong. Sonic Rush actually feels nothing like Sonic 4 when not using the boost (though it doesn't feel like it with the boost either). Sonic does go up walls a lot more easily, but that's where the similarity ends. Sonic Rush Sonic feels a bit more heavier to the ground too, and the inertia is there. The jumping, moving, stopping, turning and spinning is also very different. In Rush, it's very difficult to get Sonic to stand on a curve, and he definitely cannot do it vertically like Sonic 4. In all Sonic games you're able to get the characters on a curve to some degree with some skill and effort, but Sonic 4 takes the biscuit.

I can't believe that any of you think Sonic Rush and Sonic 4 feel the same at all. Yeah, they feel different to the classics and the Advance games, but so does Sonic Generations in a lot of ways. It's almost like you guys haven't actually studied the code or physcially gone and compared the games and are basing these statements on stereotypical and exaggerated experiences spread via the internet...

Oh wait.

I do find how people think Sonic Advance 2 is a bad game and nothing like Sonic Advance a bit peculiar too. It's basically just a more linear version with the ability to go faster over longer periods of time running. The physics, music, graphics, levels and overall design are still fantastic. I still play it today on my TV, and find it as good as Sonic 2. The eprfect balance is where they've been ale to add 5 different characters without taking away the focus from Sonic as the main dude. It's what they should have continued further after this and Sonic Advance 3.

10. Sparks

Sparks

I really like Sonic Rush on its own (I just did some time attacks last night :)), but I don't think its engine was suitable for the kind of gameplay Sonic 4 was aiming for. It's obvious that they had to heavily modify the Rush Engine, so it's not like they just copy and pasted a few new things. Dunno why you say it's difficult to get Sonic to stand on a curve, I could do it relatively easy.

I never said that Sonic Rush and Sonic 4 probably feel the same, I just know they share physics flaws in very similar ways (Sonic 4 -is- based off the Rush engine, which is written in C, a portable language), but beyond that, I didn't compare the two games (not -all- the flaws from one game to another are shared, but they're very close. I probably shouldn't have said "same flaws" in my other post, I was being too general). One is subjective, the other is objective.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Debatable. I know a couple people here think it's a bad game, regardless of whether or not it's a Sonic game or not.

12. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I've just gone and tried this. Here are my results;

[​IMG]

13. Sparks

Sparks

Yeah that's about what I get. Sonic 4s is most likely a consequence of how they modified the Rush Engine. In Rush you can reach Sonic 4s standing spot, but you'll twitch around as long as you hold the D pad in the respective direction. Whatever was changed, it went into full blown standing.

Edit: I just managed to walk up and through a loop with barely any momentum :psyduck:

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

What game, Rush? You can easily do that, more so than Sonic 4. Standing on curves is different though, because, as shown, you can stand on a particular spot perectly, but any higher and he will get dropped down, but due to the fact he can then walk slightly, he will then walk up again to the same spot, then fall again, making him feel twitchy. This happens in the classics and Advance games but less frequently, whereby they make it more difficult to walk back up without having to go back and build up some speed.

Sonic 4 just plain lets him walk up it and stop, though continuing to walk will make him fall back down. Holding the direction though will then make him twitch walk in perfect place where the curve meets the wall, destroying the record set by Rush by MILES.

15. Sparks

Sparks

The glitch I'm referring to happened here (if it doesn't work, skip to 1:08). You are right though about your point though :v: I was just bringing up another glitch in Rush, and how it probably relates to the wall standing glitch in Sonic 4.

The momentum-less loop walking glitch isn't in that video, so I might have to record it myself sometime, but yes, Rush. I was just saying it unrelated because I found it odd.

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Nevermind the standing-on-a-curve bullshit. Nobody cares to try and stand on a curve or a vertical wall to see whether or not Sonic sticks to it like Spiderman. The only thing people care about is if it's a fun game to play, and for the most part Sonic 4: Episode I fits the bill. Like it or not.

Not to say I'd pay money for Episode II if all I'm getting is more of Episode I, but we'll see what we see once SEGA announces the game. I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Episode I sold a million copies as of recently. I'm sure SEGA realizes they can't duplicate that result by not changing anything that people said they didn't like about Episode I, unless we're really that much of a minority.

As for the debate about what makes Sonic 4 like Sonic Rush, here's one example: stopping on a dime, or when not holding right cancels your inertia. Other than that Sonic Rush behaves similarly to Sonic Generations, from what I've seen: heavy, but without a homing attack, sliding, or stomping.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I've just checked it and you don't stop on a dime. Sonic 4 literally has Sonic stepping a few times at full speed before grinding to a halt, Sonic Rush Sonic is very heavy and slows down very quickly, but he stills reacts in a similar manner as he would on the classics- when running, he takes longer to stop, but when going through a booster he'll take even longer. When jumping he won't curve up and stop, he'll go up, lose speed gradually and then fly down to the ground again then stop. Inertia is there, it's just that the gravity seems a lot heavier. Sonic 4 just stops it altogether. Try spin dashing and jumping on Sonic 4 and then Sonic Rush- it sorta gives an idea of what the differences are. Sonic Rush Sonic actually travels a at best a nice small distance, whereas Sonic 4 Sonic just goes up and comes back down a step further away.

Still like Sonic 4 though, don't get me wrong. I've tried my best to get somewhere on the leaderboard, and I'm now top ten in Splash Hill Act 3 on Wii & iPod :v:

Expecting some decent fixes in Ep II, but I would still buy it nonetheless anyway, because what's already there is not harmful to the game, and I enjoyed Sonic 4 much and definitely got my money's worth. There, I said it.

18. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    OMYGOD I TOTALLY DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THAT THANKS SSTMQ!

/jk cool story bro

I would agree with you, man—I really would—if Sonic 4 didn't already plagiarize Sonic 1 & 2 and basically said it was going to be the sequel we've all been waiting for. Decent or not, it's still disappointing, and at this point they'll not only be competing with Generations but also with fans who have already made decent original Genesis-style fangames and hacks built off of the very same basis that they've yet to duplicate for some reason.

Just not financially or anything. Generations yes, a handful of fan crap no.

Also the plastic-wrapped hi-res JPEG prerender tiles juxtaposed with a pseudo-celshaded Sonic and somewhat lackluster Genesis-imitation music ought to be replaced. Is Mega Man 9's development model still off the table?

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Wait until more news is out. This speculation and bringing up old topics is getting annoying.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    The demo I'd played seemed all right, but then as I've said before I've tended to enjoy the Rush games.

Of course, I always thought the name "Sonic 4" was stupid, and I'm really tired of seeing GHZ everywhere. So I'm not sure if I would get the final version of it.