don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Joseph A. Rose

Joseph A. Rose

Man, If we had a Sonic 3 Complete Disassembly, that would be really cool if we need one.

2. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    @Joseph A. Rose Bumping an old topic with non-content is a thing that you Don't Do.

3. Joseph A. Rose

Joseph A. Rose

i'm just asking or saying, that's all.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Posted on the previous page, in the posts directly before yours.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I kinda think this topic should be locked/archived. I think it's served it's purpose and I doubt Sonic 3 Complete will be touched on again at this point.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm not sure that any (non-toxic) topics should be closed without the OP's blessing...

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe, but it's been almost 2 years since Tiddles has logged on. And unless he comes back every few months it's going to be "HeY hOw BoUt UpDaTe PlZ" until the end of time.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Since the topic is bumped anyway, I wanna ask a question for anyone who may know.

Why do the blue spinners in Marble Garden Zone not bounce you in S3Complete? That detail is the one reason I can't consider Complete to be truly complete compared to the original, and it seems really weird that it was changed.

9. Wafer

Wafer

If you're talking about the blue wheels that raise platforms and stuff, I just tested S3C versus S3&K and the behaviour is identical. You don't get bounced if you're stood on the floor, but you do if you are stood entirely on the spinner.

10. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Of course you don't bounce if you stand on the floor. In S3C you only bounce once when standing entirely on the wheel, but in the original game you can bounce over and over again indefinitely as long as you keep landing back on the spinning wheel. If you land on the wheel after bouncing once in S3C you just stop.

11. Wafer

Wafer

When you're right, you're right, I didn't test for that. Doubt the change was intentional.

12. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    Actually, it could be intentional, but perhaps not fully implemented. Maybe the creators wanted to fully remove the feature but left it on hold for too long, until they just completely stopped working on the project.

13. Fadaway

Fadaway

Ok I'm going to chime in. The “blue spinners” I originally thought was referring to the tops you stand on that can be maneuvered through the air. There is an issue I have in Complete with those things. When you take them to the ground they're supposed to break through, in Complete, they bounce you way into the air after smashing the blocks making it cumbersome to proceed. In the original, they behave differently and is much easier.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  14. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I assume you mean the spinning tops in Marble Garden? I don't have the game in front of me but IIRC this was something that occurred in S3K as well (the bouncing, that is). Drilling straight through, I think..., was a Sonic 3 Alone thing. I think there were a couple of other things changed between the two as well.

I could be completely wrong but I don't have the game in front of me to check atm.

15. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Here's an idea. What if we had a "community update" set of disassemblies? Forks of the disassemblies that contained objective bugfixes, etc, that people could use as a basis for their hacks? Instead of every hack inheriting the same crusty old SEGA bugs unless their authors specifically went out of their way to fix.

While I very much wish that S3C's source could be released for this purpose, I understand that Tiddles (and contributors) would rather keep it private. But I still think the idea of a shared community bugfix version would be a great thing.

EDIT: On second thought, I think this post would be better as its own thread that I'll post later at some point. I'll also rewrite it a bit, it's a tad rough and sparse.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  16. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    You're gonna wanna ask ValleyBell, as he's the one who made those converted tracks. However, the real versions of the tracks are now available via the Sonic 3 prototype leak, and IMO they sound better anyhow (not that ValleyBell didn't do a good job, he certainly did, but the originals are more authentic).

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Yes, bump, hello.

Has anyone updated Sonic 3 Complete to have the original beta tracks? I know AIR has had them for a while, and I appreciate ValleyBell's interpretation, but I'd like the originals on original hardware.

18. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    As great as that would be, no. Not going to happen. This hack is complete and will not be revisited.

Tiddles would be the one to update anything and he hasn't revisited this in any capacity in nearly a decade now, regardless of recent Sonic 3 discoveries.

Appreciate it for what it's worth because this is the best version of Sonic 3 for the Mega Drive you will ever see, and it is light years better than the original in every way.

You have this and you have AIR for PC. So that's double the awesome right there... for FREE.

Let's leave this thread be at this point and move on. As much as I would love to see the beta tracks utilized here as well as a few extra tweaks, this hack is about as perfect as you could ever hope for Sonic 3 to be. Have a great day.

19. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    How long has it been since you've played it? Sonic 3 Complete has had the PC tracks for quite a while; before the prototype was even discovered, in fact.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That's what he meant by "ValleyBell's interpretation", he did the conversions of the PC tracks.