don't click here

Sonic 2: Revamped

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Irixion, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, that's right. I don't think the song has an actual name, though.

2. Both from Eduardo Knuckles. The shield sound is an old one he's no longer using and that spring sound I fell in love with and asked to use it. The rest of the sound effects I did myself.

For the level transitions, still incomplete, but this is what I have planned:

Boss defeated > Controls and screen locked (from boss) > Screen unlocks, PLCs from EHZ reloaded > you get yourself to the level transition.

Fixed the boss thanks to ColinC10.

I still need to get it to clear things like checkpoints' positions etc, cos you start at random places in the next zone. (Thanks to Thorn for figuring this out)

But yeah, it's close to completion.

It's the unused track, no name. I redid the MIDI from scratch, like Tweaker said earlier, the timing sucks, pretty much has no beat making it very difficult to import.

No, collision is the hardest part :)

Thanks for all the feedback.

3. Right, well sorry for the bump with no updates, but S2R is frozen for the time being, too much stress regarding the project right now. Fucking SonED 2 didn't save (even though the status window clearly indicated that it did. 14 hours of work all gone down the drain. I'm worn out and Hitaxas is worn out, and the rest of the so called 'team' is non existent, so unless someone wants to help out with the art (which was the majority of my doing today) I'm going to have to pause the project and look around for talent so I can have some help on this.

Edit:

This project is NOT canceled.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Wow, that sucks. Even though you told me this on MSN earlier, shit still sucks. If you want to find some people, maybe you could use the Talent Exchange & offer something for what you want.

5. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I'm not "worn out", I simply cannot find inspiration for any hacking whatsoever. Anyway, yeah, sucks...

6. I didn't. This happened a second time.

Let me actually tell you what happened.

When I use SonED2, I save. In this particular case I did save, it clearly said 'project saved' in the status window. I compile the rom go into the first zone, and see no changes, I reopen the zone in SonED2 again, with all my work gone. That may have been a mistake, but SonED 2 SAID it saved.

I downloaded it off the wiki today, so don't tell me to go doing it again.

7. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I always, save twice, build, and test to see if it works. WHILE keeping SonED2 open.

So, such a think has NEVER happened to me.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    That's sad, I was looking forward to this hack. Shame that SonED2 doesn't work very well (which is why I still use SonED1).

I would help you but it's well known by now that I suck at art, unless you want to put cats in Labyrinth Zone...

9. I usually do but I suppose I forgot -_-.

Nineko, Soned1 freezes WHILE saving, sometimes raping your rom in the process making it unusable. Stealth needs to finish SonED 2, make some bug fixes, resizable, you know, a normal program? Or at least make it open source so I wouldn't run into shit like this D:<

Edit:

There ARE good artists out there, but I don't know if anyone wants to contribute anything, but yeah.

And, NO I'm not releasing what I have now, to prevent videos on youtube of S2R.

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Something bad happens to you and suddenly it's the fault of the program, right? It's not like there's hundreds of other hacks that use SonED2 without any problems, or anything like that. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, though. I also echo the suggestion to make a topic in the Talent Exchange about new art—you can offer something like music in return, can't you? That would be neat. :)

11. I suppose I can make MIDIS (simple ones, nothing mega awesome or that will take time) but alright I'll make a topic I suppose.

Also Tweaker, It's not MY fault it said saved and didn't save ;-;.

Edit:

Done.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=12401

Even though I'm almost positive no one will post....

12. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Irixion -

I didn't appreciate it the last time you insulted my program, and I don't appreciate it this time, either. Finding a "bug" is one thing, but my work is only complete or incomplete by my word, and if you really intend to imply that you could do better, then I invite you to back that sentiment up. I can personally manage my own projects well enough, thanks. I don't personally believe that a aesthetic-/program-design choice, such as a non-resizable window, or occasional "bugs" that I may be entirely unaware of could render SonED2 not a "normal program". Your current frustration has nothing to do with anything worth becoming inflamatory over

That being said, I did spend some time looking at the project save and data export code, and there don't appear to be any "no-save" errors. The "Project Save" message comes at the end of the function that calls for saving each type of data, and as of the current relese, there's no exception to prevent it from printing. The only thing I can imagine that could cause such a thing is that the program wasn't allowed to open write handles to the files, which normally wouldn't happen unless it were open by another program. It's not impossible that there's somehow a mistake here, but it seems very unlikely. I've never seen or heard of this issue, and there's no apparent cause in the code. Some condition on your system must have prevented the files from being open for write. Until either of us know why, I would recommend NOT turning off SonED2 until you're sure your data is safe. I'm not quite sure why you did in the first place, to be honest.. And in case the destination files don't become writeable, you can modify the filenames in the .sep file you're using before saving, so that they will save to a different location. If you use names of files that don't exist, ( it will be easy to tell that they actually saved by the fact that after pressing F3, they do (Just don't use a nonexisting folder name). Either way, save and test often, just in case. It's always good practice

13. I didn't insult it last time >_> I was actually defending it.

I'm not meaning to say it's pure crap—I know you've put hard work into it. It's just frustrating to me, when something like this happens, and a lot of my work gets erased like that. All I was trying to say was that I'd appreciate if you sorted out these bugs, and if you don't want to, find someone who will, because SonED 2 is one of (if not the best) sonic hacking tool we have. I know where you're coming from, and I apologize if I came off as rude—I was just angry.

14. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Well, you did once, It was like a year ago or something, and I never reacted :P <- Excuse me, I had you confused with somebody else at the time :X

Anyway, I'm sorry you lost a bunch of stuff. That's really all I can say about why. I'm not unwilling to test for bugs, though. I run everything I ever build until I'm thoroughly sick of it before I release it anywhere, and anything I don't find generally takes some specific set of circumstances I can't know about until it comes up (It's either buried and "complicated" to trigger, or there's some other anomaly). Checking the file handles was actually a touch-up I already had in mind, but under normal circumstances, it really shouldn't have been an issue.. In the mean-time, though, those things should probably help you avoid losing data

15. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    I wonder where that piece of data went...

Wow, Irixion, that sucks. :rolleyes: Horribly so. It's rather weird, how SonED likes to crash, despite... not showing any signs of being crashable. It crashed a lot for me, but I have no idea how I fixed it...

16. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Eh, SonEd2 only ever crashed once for me. And it was on my crappy old laptop thaat crashed whenever you did something it didn't like (read, whenever you did anything)

Anyways, it's a shame about your data Irix.

17. It's especially tough when I work hours on end getting art to work and it goes weird like that :S ... Thanks Stealth, I'll try to not flip out and reopen it next time and if it occurs.

18. Update time!

Since I accidentally didn't back up one of my important folders when formatting, I had to use recovery software to get my stuff back. The important ones (such as wave ocean MIDI, etc) were recovered. Most of my work has been lost though.

Since that has happened I've arsed myself to resume some of my work. One being making a 'Knight of the wind' MIDI for S2R for the hardware limitations. Tomorrow I'll post up an mp3. But for now, a video!

A small 30 second (about 8 MBs) video (I have no bandwidth D: )

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6pbfoX7SiPU

See if you can spot the difference.

Hint: Listen to the sounds/music.

19. The explosion sound. Just a bunch of hit sounds put together.

20. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    I love the spring sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.